It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic Money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This post comes to you courtesy of a family heirloom. It contains a copy of a letter that was sent to my Grandfather following an “official visit” to his Lodge.

Heading: “Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio [name of “DEPUTY GRAND MASTER” and address omitted] April 16, 1959”

Addressee and body: “Dear Wor. Bro. [name omitted],

R.W. Bro. [name omitted] has just submitted his report regarding his official visit to your Lodge. He is very complimentary about the condition of your Lodge and the efficient manner in which your officers are discharging their responsibilities. I note that you are quite active both socially as well as ritualistically, which is good. It is desirable to remember that our lodges would function just the same even through [though?] there were no candidates. I compliment you on your well planned program for the benefit of your members. Your Deputy specifically mentions your impressive conferring of the Fellow Craft Degree. He also indicates that the lecture was given by the Senior Deacon and the charge by the Senior Steward in a fine manner. He states that the entire work of the evening was so organized that it kept moving and held the interest of all of those present. I particularly note the good attendance of your members and the presence of a large number of visitors, which is evidence of the warm spirit of friendship and hospitality that must prevail at your Lodge.

Your Deputy pays a special compliment to your Secretary on the fine condition of your records. Our congratulations to your Secretary on the fine service he is rendering to your Lodge.

Your Deputy Grand Master is finding as he reviews the inspection reports that many lodges in Ohio are faced with a problem similar to yours. The annual income from dues is not sufficient to meet your average annual expenses. The decline of the value of our dollar and the resulting increased cost of what we purchase almost makes it mandatory that many of our lodges increase their dues. While this proposal usually meets with resistance, nevertheless it is normally accomplished when the actual need is made apparent to the brethren. May I suggest that you propose and assure your Lodge of an adequate income.

I am honestly reluctant to pass by your insurance coverage without calling to your attention that it scarcely equals 75% of your indicated valuation. Are you financially strong enough to stand a complete loss?

It would appear that some additional interest should be stimulated among your members regarding their contributions to the Home Endowment Fund. Our Home Endowment Fund Committee Chairman will be more than pleased to send you a supply of appropriate literature to be distributed to your members or he will supply you with some suggestions for increasing your contributions. His address is as follows: [name and address omitted]. Write to him; he will appreciate hearing from you.

My compliments to your officers on their fine attendance at the meetings duing [psychologically suggestive typo? *grins*] the year, and also on their improved record of giving the lectures. It is evident that some regular plan must be in operation where-by your junior officers start preparing themselves on the various lectures. Such a plan is commendable and your officers finishing out their work in your line must derive a great personal satisfaction out of having been able to do all the work, including the three lectures.

Congratulations to you and your brethren on the condition of your Lodge. May your efforts during the coming year enhance still further your reputation of service to your community and to the craft.

Fraternally yours,
[Signature and type-written name omitted]
Deputy Grand Master

ckc:kd

cc: S.G.W.
D.D.G.M."

[edit on 1/8/2009 by Icarus_Fallen]

[edit on 1/8/2009 by Icarus_Fallen]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Beyond the operational costs and upkeep of the meeting place itself, I wonder as to the nature of a given Lodge's "annual expenses".

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
The other expenses primarily go to charities and community service projects.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus_Fallen
Beyond the operational costs and upkeep of the meeting place itself, I wonder as to the nature of a given Lodge's "annual expenses".
Property tax usually adds up quite a bit. The building my lodge meets at has an appraised value of over 1.5 million dollars. That means we have to pay about $42,000 per year in tax... If membership is low, or dues dwindle, it's hard to come up with that...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

That's about it.

If a Lodge has 275 dues-paying members, and dues are 50 bucks per year, its annual gross income is only $13,750. Out of this, it has to pay utilities, mortgage, property taxes, insurance, maintenance, and outlier expenses (one-time expenses such as having to put on a new roof or re-pave a parking lot). Furthermore, it has to pay Grand Lodge dues on each member.

This is why a lot of Lodges are actually operating in the red, and are really flat broke. That's why I always get a chuckle out of the conspiracy theorists going on and on about how rich we are!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think the only way most lodges are operating above the red with the normally low annual dues amount is through an endowment of some such. In our case a brother passed away and gave a portion of his estate to the lodge, and we use the interest earned off the principle to supplement the bills.

I've seen very few lodges that can operate much above expenses, although when they do all the surplus goes to charity. Its usually a case of the dues being too low and members being resistant to raising them. Even though a lot of lodges are growing by leaps and bounds, its just not enough.

Like Masonic Light, this is why its often amusing to watch as anti-masons proclaim that we have all the wealth in the world. We can barely pay our own bills!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Our lodge must pay about 20% of local dues to the State Grand Lodge. We also maintain a sizeable charity fund and give out about $140,000 per year for elderly.

Our rent is about $1100 per month, etc.

We have about 200 members (only about 15 show up at meetings) and the dues are $50 per year. Given the economy we are actually LOSING money much more quickly than earning it.

Hope this helps!

(PS there is also the new 'carbon tax' on goat emissions, but that's a secret I can't discuss)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus_Fallen

The years I was Master of the Lodge, the expenses varied, from assisting with contributions to civic projects, scholarships to the local high schools, contributions to fire and police projects etc... all of which were non Masonic charities and programs.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

We have dues to the Grand Lodge you have to pay. Buying various items for the degree work, upkeep of equipment, scholarship award, charitable donation, postage, food, officer's Grand Lodge registration, payment to the treasure, payment to the Secretary, payment to the Master, social events, community service, and various other expenses. We are coming up on our centennial of our Lodge so we are spending a good amount on that.

My Lodge is doing very well though financially so I'm not too worried.

Rent isn't too bad for us in Idaho, but we also have several other Lodges/bodies that pay rent so we all share the burden.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Fortunately our lodge building is owned free and clear but the converse is it needs much work as it is an old grange hall from the turn of the last century. We are also the beneficiaries of an endowment from on of our former members which is partially used to offset costs. Depsite this we often have to hold specific events which raise funds for the lodge expenses. Before anyone thinks there is any type of impropriety occuring, the fundraisers are for the Bretheren only so we are in actuality paying more dues in a way.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Masons,

As usual, I appreciate the candor in all of your replies.

A common thread running through a few posts caught my attention.

Originally posted by Masonic Light ...Furthermore, it has to pay Grand Lodge dues on each member. [...]

Originally posted by emused1 ...Our lodge must pay about 20% of local dues to the State Grand Lodge.[...]

Originally posted by KSigMason ...We have dues to the Grand Lodge you have to pay.[...]

Are the "State Grand Lodge[s]" just governing bodies comprised solely of bureaucrats and secretaries, or do they also have their own regular memberships and hold meetings (ETC.) similar to the local lodges?

[edit on 1/9/2009 by Icarus_Fallen]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Are the "State Grand Lodge[s]" just governing bodies comprised solely of bureaucrats and secretaries, or do they have their own regular memberships and hold meetings (ETC.) similar to the local lodges, as well?
Solely governing bodies. In my state the Grand Lodge meets once a year for voting on new changes to bylaws etc. All Masons falling under Grand Lodge jurisdiction are welcome to go, all Past Masters from all lodges in the state have one vote each and all current sitting Worshipful Masters have either 1 or 2 (don't recall which) votes on behalf of the lodges they represent. (Prior to Grand Lodge meeting all the proposed resolutions are read to the lodges and the sitting WM gets an idea what the feel of his lodge is on each issue. Generally people bring amendments to the table by the time Grand Lodge actually meets, so what gets voted on may not be exactly what was read to the lodge, but we take it on faith that the WM votes according to the best interests of the lodge.)

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Thank you, JN.

This information sheds a new light on some of the documents I've been reading.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Now, all that said, the Grand Lodge in my state does support a number of charities, maintains a Masonic Library, used to run a Masonic rest home (think they closed it fairly recently).

The Grand Lodge insures the quality and regularity of the ritual work conducted by individual lodges within their jurisdiction. District Deputy Grand Masters are responsible for a handful of lodges that might fall within their city, county or region. Director on Works grades lodges on how well they do all the things they're supposed to do to open and close a lodge, receive visiting dignitaries, etc.

I'm sure someone else will be able to come up with more functions that they serve.

[edit on 1/9/2009 by JoshNorton]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
our lodge owns it's building due to some very good luck in the past. The financial reports are always good. We do go over all the bills at each meeting and a good portion of what is collected goes out. Our building is fairly new and we take a good bit of pride in maintaining it. The generosity of our regular members is what really gets my attention. We had our SW announce that a family had lost everything the had in a fire the night before our meeting and the hat was passed. A sizable ammount was collected. Someone asked if the guy was a brother and someone from the back said "they all are." As if to say 'it does not matter'. That made me feel good. It turns out the gentleman who lost his home was not a mason, but needed help just the same. That is what we are all about in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

My Grand Lodge also holds a meeting for special ceremonies such as cornerstone laying/dedication.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
The need for oversight in an organization so deeply steeped in tradition is clear. The integrity of any tradition relies on the watchfulness of its keepers, after all.

But we’re not just talking about the maintenance of traditions here. And where large sums of money are concerned, the need for watchfulness transcends a governing body’s constituency to include the governors themselves. Accordingly, all Grand Lodge monetary record books should be open, at least to the elected leaders of all of the local lodges that pay into its coffers, and the formula for ruling out impropriety should be simple.

In my Grandpa’s shoes, I think I’d have been a tad-bit concerned about the GL’s emphasis on increasing “contributions” to its own interests in the paragraphs following its acknowledgment that his Lodge was struggling to meet its financial obligations.

top topics

join