It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelicans fall out of sky from Mexico to Ore.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Pelicans suffering from a mysterious malady are crashing into cars and boats, wandering along roadways and turning up dead by the hundreds across the West Coast, from southern Oregon to Baja California, Mexico, bird-rescue workers say.

Weak, disoriented birds are huddling in people's yards or being struck by cars. More than 100 have been rescued along the California coast, according to the International Bird Rescue Research Center in San Pedro

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Seems bees, fish, coral reefs, plankton, seagulls, crabs and people arent the only things mysteriously dying these days. Wonder if its all the pharmaceuticals in our water?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Could be a few things it states on the website, food, polltion etc. I'm not sure and i can't be bothered to look it up but do pelicans rely on the earths magnetic lines to navigate like some of the other birds? Could it be that they are flying on a differing path (due to magnetic changes in the earth, pole shifts etc), getting exhausted and crashing down?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

I was thinking along the same lines. Birds are known to use the earths magnetic fields for navigation, though I don't think scientist completely understand how.

Maybe it has something to do with the newly discovered breach in the earths magnetic field discussed here:www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe pelicans are more sensitive to the changes than other animals for some reason.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

We'll see if other migratory birds have the same issues, if not I guess we can put this down to plain old bird brain antics.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Grock

My first thoughts on this happening, due to the area it is reported in, is that it has something to do with earthquak/volcanic activity on the west coast. It's been very active lately.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Some more info:

· Over 100 pelicans rescued in California
· Some symptoms resemble poisoning due to an ocean toxin
· Large number of adult pelican deaths perplexes experts

www.guardian.co.uk...

The group is working with California Fish and Game wildlife veterinarian Pamela Swift, who said she is trying to obtain fresh carcasses so samples can be sent to laboratories for analysis. Results could come by next week. Occasional disoriented birds are not unusual, the rescuers said. Young pelicans also often turn up starving or debilitated.

But the pelicans appearing along California shores are adult birds, and the sheer number of them is highly unusual, rescuers and veterinarians said. "This year, quite a few adult birds are coming in starving", Nevill said. "That's not typical."

Dmytryk put the situation in starker terms. "I've been rescuing wildlife on the California coast since 1981," she said. "And I've never seen anything like this."

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I just wrote something about this on the earthquake thread. It was just suggested by the well-known Geologist, Mr. Berkland, to be on the look-out for this kind of activity in birds.

Maybe it is an illness...or maybe it is a pre-cursor to a VERY large seismic event on the West Coast. Only time will tell!

[edit on 10-1-2009 by westcoast]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Thats another good point.

I have the highest respect for Mr. Jim Berkland. Its too bad that if that were the cause/effect that would mean the 'california slides into the ocean' theary would be immenant and there is nothing we could do until it was too late...

I heard on CNN to day that some scientists were theorizing that it could be because of algea, so who knows, i hope this is something that is fixable.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Grock

This is really interesting stuff.Recently there's been many threads about increased volcanic activity and I just wonder as it's happening on the west coast if cascadia might be coming into play?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
that is an interesting angle, however i have some misgivings about that direction as pelicans are mainly water birds (although that COULD hint at something underwater just off the coast..)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
My moneys on something like red tide affecting a fish they eat or something the fish they eat eat. I love watching them fly along the Outer Banks of North Carolina, US.

[edit on 1/10/09 by stikkinikki]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

i tend to agree with you, my friend. i lived in florida for many years and have seen the effects of a bad red tide.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This happend before in austin texes. Birds randomly droping out of the sky in mid flight.

It could be a sudden change in the magnetic field, a sort of flux (which does happen) that puts the birds into sudden conffusion, causing it to stop flying for a split second causing it to loose control and fall.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Thousands of pelican chicks die at refuge
North Dakota lake is same site as mysterious exodus last year - www.msnbc.msn.com...

Bird deaths off Calif. blamed on algae bloom
70 die, 630 sickened and stranded on Monterey, Santa Cruz beaches - www.msnbc.msn.com... (seems red tide is the most likely culprit)

Plate glass blamed for billion bird deaths a year
Expert says a single skyscraper can kill 200 birds in a day - www.msnbc.msn.com... (just wanted to throw this one in real quick)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I guess my titles arent fancy enough to garner the attention i feel these topics deserve, guess ill have to work on that in the future...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Some years back, I was looking into the Bermuda Triangle mystery. I came across an explanation that at first seemed silly, but when I looked into it, combined with some of the other theories I personally believe are accurate on electromagnetism, gravitation, and time dilation, it started sounding plausible.

It may be possible for ionized gas clouds under certain conditions to create a kind of energy surge that can resonate throughout gravitational as well as electromagnetic fields. If the seismic activity now occurring around the West Coast is coming from oceanic releases of pockets of ionized gas, it is just possible that the magnetic flux lines could be shifted enough for the pelicans to lose their navigational ability to some extent.

That could impact their ability to catch food and could also explain why they would be flying into objects... basically, their senses are saying what is there is not there, but somewhere else. Like they try to fly around an object, but they sense that object several feet to one side or another of its true location.

There could also be time variations, meaning that the pelicans could be trying for fish that used to be there, or even so severe that boats hit by the pelicans could be seen by those pelicans as being where they were some time earlier.

Now some people are going to think I'm crazy for posting this, but that's OK. There are probably 4 or 5 different areas of research I am slowly pursuing that lead to accusations of such on a regular basis. Don't ask me for exact data on the phenomena; it would take 20 threads to explain it. Read and understand Einstein, Tesla, Townsend Brown, Professor John R. R. Searle, and a few others if you want to know more about the theories.

In the meantime, look out for gas clouds coming from the ocean floor in that area.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
that IS an interesting angle. We may have to soon come up with a comprehensive list of what could be doing this, im wondering how long and 'strange' that list may end up being...

new topics

top topics

join