It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rockets fired from Lebanon hit Israel [updated with Israeli counter attack!]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Rockets fired from Lebanon hit Israel

www.news.com.au

THREE to four rockets have hit northern Israel from Lebanon, military sources say.
It was not immediately clear whether the projectiles, which fell around the area of the northern town of Nahariya, caused injuries.

- More to come
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-1-2009 by darkmaninperth]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Is hezbollah starting to get involved too? Is this just the start of further escalations in the current conflict?

Can Israel fight a war on two fronts?

What does everyone else think?

I'll tell you what I think, I think the people around Israel should just accept the fact that Israel is there now and there isn't that much they can do about it. I think it is time that Israels neighbours all started to get along.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Already a Thread going my friend but way to look out
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I knew this would happen, I knew Hezbollah would get involved.

This is going to turn into something much bigger now, I'm afraid.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by darkmaninperth

Is anyone really surprised? I can just imagine Hizballah grating because they are being ignored while Hamas is getting all the attention, and probably an increase in funding.

Since Hizballah is funded and a branch of Iranian/Syrian influence, it sounds like their masters just pulled their chain.

If this new arena opens up, certainly Israel can handle it. They've handled three borders that were heavily attacked before, and there's no reason to believe they can't do so again.

In fact, it just might be the "excuse" that Israel needs to hit Iran, provided Israeli intelligence tells them that it needs hitting now. I can assure you that Israel knows as much about Iranian thinking, capabilities, and systems as the Iranians know.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Hezbollah had initially denounced Hamas for their actions against Israel. Let's not assume they are getting involved now.
Can Israel handle a war on two fronts? No doubt. They will handle a war on three fronts if necessary. And they will win.
A friend and I were surfing the net and looking for possible weapons to buy. Dave decided to check out the Israeli weapons, just to see what was available. I told him I considered them to be the most reliable in the world, (although I really don't know that much about weapons) because in the case of the Israelis, the gunsmith is being closel watched and guided by God. Dave, being a good Baptist, turned and said "you've got a point. I think my nexst purchase will be an uzzi."

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I told him I considered them to be the most reliable in the world, (although I really don't know that much about weapons) because in the case of the Israelis, the gunsmith is being closel watched and guided by God.

Pardon me, but would this alleged God denounce all weapons?

It is too early to tell who may be responsible, a few rockets does not sound like a coordinated attack. It could very well be someone who disobeyed official Hezbollah policy in the face of perceived Palestinian slaughter. Terror organizations aren't exactly the standard when it comes to discipline within the chain of command. Or it could be a limited but highly symbolic gesture by the backers of Hexbollah to Israel. One thing is for sure, we don't need more violence at the drop of a hat... or a few rockets for that matter.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Crikey, Israel has hit back at Lebanon...

THE Israeli army has fired into northern Lebanon after rockets were fired at the Jewish state.

"We carried out direct fire at the source of the rocket fire from Lebanon," an Israeli army spokeswoman said.

source

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Yup, how on earth does Israel know where the rockets are fired from? To the point where it can pinpoint the building it was fired from and return fire? What sort of technology is that anyway?

They know what house a rocket was fired from, in Lebanon?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
They can retrace the trajectory of the rocket - it isn't rocket science.

This is not a one line post by the way.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Rockets fired from Lebanon into Israel are not necessarily fired by Hezbollah.
Israel has been itching for another go at Lebanon for ages and I wouldn't put it past them to sneak across, lob a couple of rockets back across the order to try and kick things off.

They have also been flying aircraft over Lebanese airspace again, including drones. Maybe looking for a good place to fire a couple of rockets from?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Wouldn't suprise me either way if it was the Lebanese, the Palestinians hiding in Lebanon or even Israeli drones.

In fact as mentioned, what better way for Israel to play the 'poor me' card.

But without further evidence, it's all guess work.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkmaninperth

Technically, retracing the trajectory of a rocket would be rocket science, wouldnt it?

If Lebanon jumps in who knows where this mess will end. I have to say it isnt unexpected, but it does put a damper on any hope that that this would end soon.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Really, enough to know what house it was fired from? You're sure?

Edit: Well I googled this amazing technique and all I could find was references to Israel counter-attacking their enemies. So it seems like they have this rocket trajectory retracing thing down to a fine art.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lazyninja

Really, enough to know what house it was fired from? You're sure?

Quite sure. Radar logs can retrace the trajectory.

You don't think that by now, we couldn't do a little thing like that?

[edit: I see you have done your homework]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Yeah I think we cant do that at all. Because until something is like 50 feet off the ground it aint gonna be on a radar, let alone be on the radar from another country.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
We in the US, and presumably the Israeli's, have the tabletop trajectory "back track" radar that not only can mathematically backtrack missiles, but artillery, and in seconds, give you a counterbattery location.

Oddly, the first time it was used in combat was by US forces in Lebanon, where US forces came under artillery fire, their firing position was backtracked, and the counter fire came from the battleship lying offshore.

It was so effective, that one of the radical raghead groups complained!

So yes, the Israelis know where the stinking rocket fire is originating from.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   
You guys obviously know less than I do about radars, and I know virtually nothing. They are firing indiscriminately at the area the rocket came from, not the people who fired it.

Oh and a correction at my guesswork earlier, it's not 50 feet where radars can start picking up objects, try 2500 feet

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
AN/TPQ-36/37 Firefinder radar can spot the source.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

And a drone (UAV) can then be sent to pinpoint the firing site if needed.

And Israel has a number of these defensive radar systems they got from the US

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Yes, and nowhere in the wikipedia article does it say about how big (in feet) the margin of error is, because there is one. That technology is not designed for urban warfare, that is why the drone is used, to scout the area (for the bunker/whatever) for a visual and a more accurate laser designated target for the bombing run.

Now if this rocket was fired at a building which was 200 feet from the nearest building then I'll take back everything I've said. But I totally doubt it.

This is just Israel misusing it's toys from the US and trying to appear legitimate at the same time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join