It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New windows operating system

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
I just read this, it's an interesting concept about linux, and the threat it could one day become to national security.

Nobody forced them to use open-source software. They can continu to use Micro# software if they want to.

I think their statement is so bogus, especially if founded only on the fact that it's an open-source software and that almost everybody is allowed to contribute to it.

Microsoft products are closed-source software, and they still get penetrated like teenage girls in a after-prom party.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Oh totally, I was just posting the link as interesting reading, not advocating thier views!

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Oh totally, I was just posting the link as interesting reading, not advocating thier views!

Ok ! Glad you share my opinion on that. I was kinda surprise to hear that coming from you, cuz I know (or think) you're a bit of a techy person too, and people such as us usualy have what we call decent, common sense lol... It's kind of a double edged sword if you ask me... Since it's open-source, it might be more easy to hack, but it should also be more easy so secure. All one need is to hire the right persons.

But I'm still not sure if they should use linux/unix based-operating system for things such as defense department etc... Altho the simple thought of missiles launching system controlled by microsoft softwares is scary in it-self.

Edit: Very interesting link none-the-less...

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by m0rbid]

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by m0rbid]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Surely UNIX would be the only choice? Stability and locked down code.

I wouldn't trust Windows or Linux for national security, to be honest.

I wish I had a copy of the old Windows NT workstation disclaimer. It stresses that it must never be used for life support systems, controling aircraft, or controling nuclear facilities. I wouldn't trust it for anything life threatening.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Zzub > you should play around with linux once the SELinux patches have been applied, you can litterally hand out the root password to people and they cant do jack with it

selinux.dev.gentoo.org...

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

I wish I had a copy of the old Windows NT workstation disclaimer.

Do you remember where that was printed? I have archived copies of the Windows OS media and manuals back to NT 3.5. I'll be happy to dig through them to find it.

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I wish I had a copy of the old Windows NT workstation disclaimer. It stresses that it must never be used for life support systems, controling aircraft, or controling nuclear facilities.

That's down-right funny. Haven't any of you seen the blue-screen picture took in airports around the world? What's up with that lol...

I wonder if this still apply to newer OS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join