It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New windows operating system

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This really did not fall under any catagory but has anyone heard of a new windows operating system. Advances in processing and holographic memory are only limited by a operating system.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Actually, yes, and Microsoft is trying harder and harder to become big brother.

Apparently with either this coming generation or the next gen of windows, you will need to have an internet connection and a credit card to activate the OS. Not only that, but it's going to be subscription based like those online games. You have to shovel out $450 or whatever, and then pay every month from the credit card you activated your OS with to keep your computer working

And apparently, they're trying to get the uber secure windows OS (from what we've seen in the past) to handle all of your financial doings. After all, your credit card info WILL be stored on your computer...

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Makes me more and more glad that I have moved over to the wide world of Apple. Better computers better operating system and no Bill Gates. I dont know what more a person could want from a computer company.

Vir Fidelis

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
If you're refering to Microsoft Windows development, then "Longhorn" seems to be the next development (that is being discussed, anyway).

Search for that - I found this from which the following is taken:

"Microsoft "Longhorn" Alpha Preview

Since the release of Windows XP in 2001, Microsoft has been working on their new operating system codenamed "Longhorn". I managed to get ahold of a very early version of Microsoft's next operating sytem codenamed "Longhorn". Before we get into the features of Longhorn I want to stress that this is a very early version of the operating system(Alpha Build 4008), and it isn't expected to be available for purchase until around 2005. With that said, lets check out the future OS."

There is more - including some screenshots.

Hope that helps?

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
na-ah, if you need a proper operating system...go for linux, it's

1: free
2: customizable (you can edit the kernel)
3: it's got tons more specifications than winblows ever will

linux, suse, debian, RH, even some versions of MINIX...

down with Longhorn, on with FEDORA

Cyrus

ps: i dont know...but it's rumoured, (i doubt this), but we have this copy of linux xp available on 9cd's?? dont know anything about this yet, going to check it out tomorr0.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
hers another link:

www.pcworld.com...

jhh

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The only thing lacking with linux is hardware support, and even that has come a long ways compared to two years ago. The only thing that didn't work when I installed it on my new dell a couple months back was the cheap pos hcf modem.

So MS is coming close to losing it all, if the privacy and anticredit card crowd can really press the issue with the next release.

For some reason MS isn't seeing the big picture of Sony taking over the online gaming community, Linux taking over the multimillion dollar corporate and government users, and Apple pretty much running away with media.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Pardons, but Sony is not taking over the gaming market. They have a wide number of servers, but the XBox has far superior qualities for online gaming. I mean, sony is just emulating microsoft with their whole 'hard drive' idea.

In addition, you're wildly overstating this. Linux is not taking over big business, Apple is not running away with media.

Microsoft owns a staggering 94+% of the market, the only reason apple exists is to retain a lack of a monopoly! Microsoft could literally walk up, hand Apple a blank cheque, and benefit - at least without those monopoly laws.

I do think we'll all be switching to Linux soon, but not before Longhorn goes public.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aero
Makes me more and more glad that I have moved over to the wide world of Apple. Better computers better operating system and no Bill Gates. I dont know what more a person could want from a computer company.

Vir Fidelis

I'm with you. I have used both PCs and Macs for years. The Macs are more expensive, but I am willing to pay more because the Mac system fits my needs better.

Also, in my business, (music industry) Macs are by far the most popular platform. Windows has some good things going on, but I prefer my Mac.
I still use PCs for some things, but not as much anymore.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushfriend
Advances in processing and holographic memory are only limited by a operating system.

Not quite true.

Advances in processing and holographic memory are not reliant on software. They are limited because of technology. Its just too expensive right now to create some of the new superfast components for a computer.

Even if this technology was available, there would be no software that would be able to benifit fully from it.

If you took windowxp, spent 2 years fixing bugs, and optomizing it, along with all the applications, you could run XP on 32MB ram and a processor running slower than 1Ghz and you would not even know the difference.

I have seen the same machine run a version of windows and a version of linux, and lets just say linux is much faster.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by crayon

I have seen the same machine run a version of windows and a version of linux, and lets just say linux is much faster.

What distribution are you running? My Mandrake 9.2 runs alot slower then Windows XP.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
One last word....

here is an article I found very interesting.

www.theregister.com...

Down with monopolism

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If this new windows is evil (well... eviller) I just wont buy it! I'll just keep running my old Win XP even when I buy a new computer or either use Linux.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Ranger, Adobe already went into bed with Microsoft. All of their new products, according to their website, will only be supported on windows XP. Talk to just about any site admin, and they will tell you they want their networks on windows 2000, not XP, and most are. So how do you force people to change to the more buggy version? You release all of the development tools companies use exclusevly for that crappy system. How long do you think it will take before that happens with this new OS? Microsoft has the clout to pull that off...

You'll be without any new software!

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Ranger, Adobe already went into bed with Microsoft. All of their new products, according to their website, will only be supported on windows XP. Talk to just about any site admin, and they will tell you they want their networks on windows 2000, not XP, and most are. So how do you force people to change to the more buggy version? You release all of the development tools companies use exclusevly for that crappy system. How long do you think it will take before that happens with this new OS? Microsoft has the clout to pull that off...

You'll be without any new software!

Well... What you do is you use older software that can still get the job done and look for alternatives. If you look hard enough you will find alternatives and if they are none, some frustrated people will create alternatives. I'm seriously thinking of switching to Linux if the new M$ OS is as evil as we are to believe. I think it would be a good idea to hold on to old software and older lesser evil versions of windows to get your work done. I could live with having to use older software and operating systems to get work done. Although I use Win XP, I don't need it to live! The only thing that would bother me is that new computer games might come out for this new windows only, that would piss me off.

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by Ranger]

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
hold on there....

ok, recap:

Lindows =

mandrake=

gentoo=

knoppix(debian 3.2,3.3) =

RH7.2,8.1,9.0 =

AZ for winblows?

win98
(lacks sharing/network support)
win2000
(includes everything needed...kernel panicky when overload occurs, has displayed blue screen of death at times)
Winxp

Winblows server 2003 ent/adv/web:
(even better than win2000 in some cases, no blue screen of death...kernel's stable, drivers good).

Winblows Longhorn
ALREADY due to the credit card issue

Cyrus

EDITED** changes have been made.

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by Cyrus]

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyrus

mandrake=

RH7.2,8.1,9.0 =

Winxp

Winblows server 2003 ent/adv/web:
(even better than win2000 in some cases).

1. under rated...
2. over rated...
3.under rated...
4.Finally, i agree.

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by thedarkprojekt]

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyrus
na-ah, if you need a proper operating system...go for linux, it's

1: free

I've noticed some people say that a lot about Linux yes you can download it for free but if you would like to use it for business.... Red Hat is free for the 'personal' edition it costs around $50 to run the professional on a home computer yes still much cheaper then Microsoft I know. But it also costs $18000 for a premium edition of red hat for a big business that is off there website. www.redhat.com...
I love Linux I have Red Hat and Suse installed and I love it completly but I love Windows XP more and junglejake what you said is not true I saw a Microsoft presentation at my college the only thing you'll see is Longhorn will be MUCH cheaper then XP was. Microsoft is also making some of it source code open source there is some on sourceforge at the minute its the windows installer but there is more coming.

Also windows is faster then Linux, my windows XP runs a lot faster then Suse and Red Hat. I also like the overall feel of it trust me they have been saying for years Linux will now take over the desktop market it won't it never will 98% of games won't even run! Could you see the average home user compiling his own programs?!? when on windows its one click of a button? I know what I prefer....

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I just read this, it's an interesting concept about linux, and the threat it could one day become to national security.

Why Linux could be a national defense risk

[Edited on 11-4-2004 by Zzub]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by bushfriend
This really did not fall under any catagory but has anyone heard of a new windows operating system. Advances in processing and holographic memory are only limited by a operating system.

I recently had a vision that it may look like this one lol (actually image is from good old winsupersite.com)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join