It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestion for the MODS: New UFO Sub-forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Dear MODS,
I notice you have created a new forum dedicated to 2012 and related theories.

I would now take this opportunity to once again, this time more publicly and explicitly, ask you to create a new UFO sub-forum or split the existing one into two.

I believe it would be incredibly more productive if there was a sub-forum dedicated to the study, research and serious discussion of the UFO phenomena. As it is now, everything is mixed together, the good, the bad, and sometimes the worse (hoaxes).

Shouldn’t there be a forum where posting of Youtube videos of lights in the sky, stories of abductions, alien implants, Soul Collectors and whatever, are not allowed? Were only well researched cases, substantiated theories, intelligent and intellectual discussion and sharing of information would take place?

Please MODS, I ask you to consider this very strongly for the sake of intelligent and serious discussion of this subject on ATS. Otherwise, we’ll continue to see the same videos re-posted, the same stories, the same charlatans being brought up, the same hoaxed photos and videos, and so on, with no real advances in terms of the quality of the discussion and research.

You have enforced stronger posting rules in the past (ie. 9/11 forum) and even though they are not something I personally enjoy I understand many members like to look and talk about the Youtube videos, the abduction stories and crazy theories, and therefor, enforcing those rules on the forum as it currently is, would make many members unhappy. Thus why I suggest a new sub-forum with a different set of rules.

In conclusion, I ask the MODS or the Amigos or whoever could make a decision of this nature, to strongly consider a Sub-forum for UFO Research, with a more strict set of posting rules.

I would ask the other members to speak their minds on the idea.

Thank you for your time.

A proud member,
-Daniel

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I definitely agree with this one. Especially as a newcomer to the ufo world.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I would back this as well, I believe it would be a welcome addition to ATS.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by danx

i completely disagree with splitting up the discussion of this subject.

if you want to work in a serious research thread why not just start one in this forum ? i am sure everyone would love to see it and it may encourage others to do the same.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I also agree with the notion of a strictly moderated serious UFO discussion sub-forum.....one that weeds out all the Blossom Goodchild style posts and youtube clips of Frisbees passed off as flying saucers.

Originally posted by easynow
reply to post by danx

if you want to work in a serious research thread why not just start one in this forum ? i am sure everyone would love to see it and it may encourage others to do the same.

To create a single thread will not keep out all the hoaxes and 'channelling' crap that inundates the Aliens and UFO's forum at the moment.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

the mods already do a great job sorting out the Blossom threads.

there is already two other forums for speculative ufo/Alien topics.

it makes Zero sense to create another one.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by easynow]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I'm all for it. S&F from me.

---second line---

[edit on 8-1-2009 by md11forever]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

there is already two other forums for speculative ufo/Alien topics.

But I guess that's danx's point isn't it? There's enough speculative topics on this subject.

I think a new forum would be a good idea

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

reply to post by danx

i completely disagree with splitting up the discussion of this subject.

i also disagree entirely with the suggestion

he is insinuating that 50% of ufo threads are total bunk and garbage, and i suggest theres NO WAY TO KNOW which threads are bunk and which are gold

so you would be putting things into the "silly" forum that may have actually been real
or putting things in the "real" forum that may actually be silly

get my drift?

splitting the UFO forum = Bad idea

it will further degrade credibility by "sorting" threads

also, the current system of trashing junk threads is working out just fine, and labeling known hoaxes as "HOAX"

the current system works excellant in the UFO forum, and we shouldnt toss out possible good threads just because you want "good threads" on a platter for you

here ill give you some good stuff on a platter without having to split the UFO forum
www.abovetopsecret.com...

and my super old thread that no one ever successfully debunked
and is still a total mystery IMO
if intrested read the Entire thread carefully plz
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=1471376#pid1471376

[edit on 8-1-2009 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
he is insinuating that 50% of ufo threads are total bunk and garbage, and i suggest theres NO WAY TO KNOW which threads are bunk and which are gold

I’m not insinuating that 50% of ufo threads are total bunk, I’m saying that some are and the ones that aren't 90% of them have nothing to do with actual research, and this is why I’m proposing a new sub-forum.

so you would be putting things into the "silly" forum that may have actually been real or putting things in the "real" forum that may actually be silly

That’s not what I’m proposing at all. If you have read my post careful you would have noticed that I say many members enjoy the speculative threads and it’s exactly because of this that I suggest a new forum, with different rules, would be set up.

The speculative threads, Youtube videos, whatever would still be permitted just as they are now, in the ‘old’ sub-forum. Nothing would change, except for a new sub-forum that would deal with the topic from a more research oriented perspective

also, the current system of trashing junk threads is working out just fine, and labeling known hoaxes as "HOAX"
the current system works excellant in the UFO forum, and we shouldnt toss out possible good threads just because you want "good threads" on a platter for you

This is not about different or new ways to filter or classify threads, this is about purpose.

I’m all for the Youtube videos, and people’s abductions stories and theories, but how does that exactly advance the research of this field?

What I’m proposing is that we create a separate forum strictly with research and serious and scientific study of the subject in mind.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

and my super old thread that no one ever successfully debunked
and is still a total mystery IMO
if intrested read the Entire thread carefully plz
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=1471376#pid1471376

According to the informations available, that would be John West's prototype of the Sky Ship, photo taken in an hangar located in Cardington (England) on 1975

This time it really is a flying object, with the classic form of a flying saucer that used to see in old movies fiction. But to the disappointment of pocket Iker Jiménez, the aircraft fleet in the hangar is identified.

Although the first picture I've deleted the insigna, it's a special type of Skyship designed by British firm Airship Industries (which apparently went bankrupt in 1990 and then spent his inheritance by several other names). More specifically, it was a circular experimental airship built to investigate the handling process on the ground.

According to some data I could find on April 17, 1975 designer John West made a demonstration of a prototype wide (about 9 meters in diameter). The actual vehicle, with no less than about 60 meters in diameter, is planned to handle between 6 and 10 tonnes of payload.

This futuristic helium balloon would have a range of 1,600 kilometers and a speed of around 160 km / h. Its peculiar shape was designed with the intent to minimize the effect of the winds and to allow a land distribution of the burden. Its propeller thrusters will provide a momentum going, and it is assumed that their low operating costs as a transport become suitable for use in third world countries.

Sources:
Εντροπία

The A. T. Factor
By Leonard G. Cramp

Unreal aircraft

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by danx

speculative threads go in skunk works, it already exists

and if ppl arent putting them there, they need to

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Oh yeah I have been into this ever since I started seeing them when I was a kid. I agree, some of us take this subject very seriously.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I disagree with splitting the forum.

Here's the two steps that I use to decide if a thread is bunk:
Step 1: Read the title.
Step 2: Read the first five posts of that thread.

Hint, if Step 1 fails the quality control test, then there's no need for me to proceed to Step 2. It saves me time that way.

If you need someone to decide and categorise if a thread is bunk FOR you, then you might as well watch TV or read a newspaper.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
What you are asking for is the impossible.

ATS is a paranoid "new-age" site where they like to mix up disinformation with scientific theory in its search for the "truth".

I would love to intelligently discuss UFO' without linking Aliens and hocus pocus, but lets face it ATS doesn't because its not in their interest. Far better they let the/encourage wackos discuss alien implants - rather than sensibly discuss WTF Ufos really are. As long as theres a big grey area , The people at ATS and other Charltans can still make money with crackpot unfounded theorys. Yeah pretty scathing But I actually Love ATS because of this, Freedom of speech is more important than all the Debunkers patting each other on the back. If you asked the Skeptics, Although they detest the more silly posts, they just give more credence to scientific deduction and reasoning.

+ you also have the problem over what constitutes a quality post - that is in the eye of the writer/reader and not all will agree.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
There is an existing thread established specifically for these type suggestions and concerns...

ATS, BTS, What would you like to see in the future?

Please add to the ongoing discussion. Thank you.

-thread closed-

[edit on 8-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

top topics

join