It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protest Over BART Shooting Turns Violent

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Protest Over BART Shooting Turns Violent

www.kcbs.com

OAKLAND, Calif. (KCBS) A protest over the shooting of an unarmed man by BART police turned violent Wednesday night on the same day the officer who shot 22-year-old Oscar Grant resigned.
The situation later turned violent when protestors set Dumpsters on fire and vandalized a police car, smashing the back window and attempting to overturn it. Police in riot gear fired tear gas at the rowdy demonstrators, who ran from the scene. Smaller splinter groups of protestors continued their raucus march
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Cop Shoots Apparently Helpless Man In The Back (Update: Officer quits to avoid IA questions)

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Dont know much about this as its just started but its carrying on from the shooting of the unarmed man
live local radio feed here player.play.it...
Roit police are in the streets, shooting tear gas and approaching the crowd with shields, helmets and batons to force them to disperse.

www.kcbs.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Good for the protestors....

Glad people aren't backing down over this execution of a defenceless man.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure this pig who killed the guy will have nothing, his corrupts buddies will protect him... the whole police ``gang`` mentality and all that... disgusting.

Anyone else does that, they go to death row in less than a minute. This pig should have the death penalty for abuse of power, killing a defenseless man for no reason in cold blood. May he rot in hell.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
footage of the cop car being smashed and burnt

More info and footage of cop car burning and helicopter footage

edited to get links working

[edit on 7-1-2009 by orgyofthedead]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
LIVE FEED FULL SCREEN
for some reason i cant directly link it here so copy and paste this

http://

a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/36795/5m/cbslocalimg.dayport.com/htm/DayPortCBSPlayer.html?categoryID=130,129,142,140,122,151,143,117,136,172,6,147,155,119,13 4,154,128,160,127,158,173,121,120,139,126,[email protected]&adInsertionInterval=2&bannerAdConDefID=27&defaultPreviewImage=h ttp://cdn.dayport.com/vlnimg/img/PartnerPlayer/samplepreviewimage.jpg&domain=kpix.dayport.com&imageDomain=a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/36795/5m/kpiximg.day port.com&limit_default=10&conDefID=10&videoAdObjectID=26&logoAdConDefID=9&logoAdObjDefID=25&hitboxAccountID=DM540528JHCB&hitboxDomain=cbs5.com&siteNam e=KPIX%20TV&callLetters=KPIX&isLiveStream=true&
[edit on 8-1-2009 by orgyofthedead]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
www.flickr.com...

Flickr account containing images from the riot.

I support this type of unrest and even though private property is being destroyed (cars, shops), I'm sure they all have basic insurance against fire/theft.

Sometimes action like this is necessary as a show of OUR power; The People.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Wow, the police must have the worst job in the entire world. You make a mistake and it can cause riots, and protests.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
Wow, the police must have the worst job in the entire world. You make a mistake and it can cause riots, and protests.

I don't consider shooting an unarmed man (who is co-operating) in the back as just a mistake. I think you need to watch the video to see the cold blooded nature of what the policeman actually did.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Actions like this are a symptom of a multi tiered justice system. There is one set of rules and punishment for the average Joe another for cops and yet another for politicians and yet another for rich white collar crime and yet another for people who have committed a crime and were convicted of a crime years ago .

One of our symbols of the justice system is a woman blind folded with a set of scales signifying facts vs crime . Justice should be blind to what job they hold or position they hold or how much dollars are in their account or what their past is just the cold hard facts .

The bottom line here is if this was ANY ONE ELSE besides one of the chosen few . If we average Joes killed some one execution style like this transit officer did . We would be sitting in jail no bond flight risk and being brought up on capitol murder. Not walking the streets ! Not waiting for internal investigation to proceed ! That is semi solid bio waste from a male bovine !

This can go back to the system is no longer in our hands any more the politicians have made this situation by allowing enacting laws that allow police force to police themselves .

The original conception of our justice system was 3 distinct branches the judge as a referee the defense and the prosecution . The jury made the decision of guilt of innocence. In today's system the prosecution is intertwined with the judges and the law enforcement now there is no real distinct division any more .

With the judges in many states are elected they are a pseudo politician which makes the mix even more convoluted . So of course the system will go lighter on a cop politician or big money .

How to fix it get rid of 98% of the politicians and vote new ones back in till they reconfigure this mess the way it was originally created !

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by IceColdPro

Actually I have made two stabilized videos of the shooting... and examined multiple videos.

I clearly see the cop accidentally shoot the guy, look around in shock, and put his hand to his head in surprise, because it was a complete accident.

Have you seen this video yet?

Hey if you really dislike the shooting, why don't you go protest and riot. It will fix everything.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I've only just seen this story, but I have to say, plenty of people here said exactly this would start happening in the US. I was one of them.

When you have a severe economic slide, all it takes is one figure of authority to do something unjust and it spirals. Protests become riots, another person is acted against unjustly, more protests and riots...

And the tone of the CBS report makes me LOL. They sound so shocked and surprised, "Even a car was set on fire!" as if it's the most shocking thing in the world

While this is not surprising, it's hardly the worst protest violence I've seen. We have worse at music festivals in the UK almost every year.

But I do believe this is only a sign of what is to come if the US Police are still given protection to act as they wish against whoever they wish. And it's going to continue to get worse if Obama doesn't start repealing the insane Police state laws Bush enacted as soon as he takes office.

I can certainly understand why all these people are angry, and I'd be angry too if this happened in my city. Fortunately, we don't give rookie cops guns to play around with.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   

I don't consider shooting an unarmed man (who is co-operating) in the back as just a mistake. I think you need to watch the video to see the cold blooded nature of what the policeman actually did.

I totally agree... At first I was a bit skeptical but after viewing it...I mean it was shaky and I did not see it all the first time Granted.. But when the news did that shadow thing over his hand... YEah He pulled that gun out and shot him cold to shut him up...

I mean it was a true careless disdain of life .... A dismissible life...

And the guy quits and that ok IA investigation over?!?! I do not think so.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Hey if you really dislike the shooting, why don't you go protest and riot. It will fix everything.

Better still, why don't you do nothing, sit on your fat ass all day and order another pizza while Police get to thinking that they can act without consequence

Lets see:
You have Police raiding families and confiscating food, holding children at gun point for several hours.
You have riot police, on film, rounding up and arresting hundreds of PEACEFUL protesters.
You have Police, on film, violently assaulting a guy on a bike.
You have recorded evidence of Police in New Orleans confiscating guns, refusing people the right to leave via a safe exit to reach aid during a hurricane...

But protesting is bad! Right?
Protesting makes you a "terrorist" right?

I think you are one of those people who've forgotten that you pay for these services and these people. You put people in power, to work for you. What are you supposed to do when that power is abused or that job is not done properly? You most certainly can't trust them to act fairly.

While I don't support the damage to property of civilians, protesting is your right. And because of Human nature, it is likely going to get ugly.

Lesson; if a power doesn't want protests and violence against them, they have to act with responsibility and accountability. They have to act quickly to hold a perpetrator within their ranks accountable for their actions and not be seen to abuse the system for their own protection.
If you are seen to be corrupt, you'd better expect to see this coming at you.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by IceColdPro
I don't consider shooting an unarmed man (who is co-operating.

You police hating propaganda spinners need to give the “Co-operating” thing a rest. A person is not co-operating if they require a police officer to take them to the ground. A person is not co-operating if they require two police officers to be on their back pinning them down. Just because you cannot see movement on the persons part, that does not imply lack of resistance. Just sitting still pulling your arms in to your torso, and refusing to allow them to be positioned for cuffing is “Actively” Resisting Arrest, and allows the police to deploy physical, chemical, and electrical means to gain compliance.

Those are the facts of the situation, if you don’t like them, then write your congressman about the police “Use of Force Matrix”. But please, for the love of all that is holy, give the co-operating thing a rest cause its just not truth.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
You have riot police, on film, rounding up and arresting hundreds of PEACEFUL protesters.

PEACEFUL! HAH! Why would they need riot police if it was peaceful?

People don't know how to protest peacefully. I have actually never seen that happen. One example being in this very thread.

reply to post by defcon5

Very well said. It's almost like there is a hidden agenda to push this false reality of him "co-operating".

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
According to the story didn't the officer mean to pull his tazer instead of his sidearm? Seeing as I'm from the UK and haven't seen the video ( Works firewall gets in the way of youtibe). But I read the nedias take on the events that transpired.
If the guy has to be taken to the ground then he isn't complying to the police instructions, and yes , you can resist arrest whilst on the ground by wiggling and refusing to give them your wrists to cuff.

If you contiune to wriggle about refusing to comly to the instructions then the police can either tazer you or pepper spray you .
But the trouble with the police system is that they make mistakes then cover them up by closing ranks. This situation isn't helped by the mindless few who say " lets go riot to display our displeasure at the police",
Hello? thats not the way, you only antagonise the police more by rioting, then they start to get heavy handed , then the protesters complain about police brutality. what the protesters should've done is go down and surround the police station with placards and spraycans, not burn out properties and cars.
If your going to riot then you deserve the beatings you get, However back to the situation of the shooting, I can't blame the officer from wanting to restrain the suspect, as apparently there was a mob around the police officers, he thought he'd deal with one suspect by tazering him to get him out of the picture but instead by accident drew his sidearm and shot the suspect point blank, But the problem I have with that from having fired pistols myself surely you'd have to cock the hammer or at least squeeze the trigger hard to fire it, isnt a tazer like a toy gun ?
The office should've checked before firing exactly what he was holding before pulling the trigger. Plus the offiers that carry both projectile and tazer weapons shouldn't have them so close to each other to stop this kind of accident.
The officer has resigned but that in no way makes up for the mistake he made and isnt a transit officer not even a real police officer? do thay have the same training? the same physcological screening? or are they simply rent-a-cop?
I'll never see the end of the polce being the bullies some of them are , ( hats off to the ones that are honourable and try to serve and protect though)and the dopey few that will always hate the police because they have no respect for themselves or the police, and hate them only because they can.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

PEACEFUL! HAH! Why would they need riot police if it was peaceful?

People don't know how to protest peacefully. I have actually never seen that happen. One example being in this very thread.

reply to post by defcon5

Very well said. It's almost like there is a hidden agenda to push this false reality of him "co-operating".

I was actually referring to another event, a recent protest where people, who were protesting peacefully, were rounded up and arrested. They didn't act in any way confrontational or violent.

Link

But in any case, here are a few more examples of great Policing...

Young girl assaulted by Police

Another

again

I could spend all day on YT finding examples of your great American Policing, the land of the Free and the home of the Brave my arse.

But to show you how a protest should be reasonably Policed...

The proper way to Police a protest

And look, no riot gear, no batons, no tear gas.

What American Police have forgotten is that the Police are in place to maintain safety and order, not to control the public and limit their freedom.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

When you have a severe economic slide, all it takes is one figure of authority to do something unjust and it spirals. Protests become riots, another person is acted against unjustly, more protests and riots...

This is exactly what happened in Greece, when the police killed a 15yr old kid. I expect more trouble.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join