It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantánamo prison 'could close quickly' if Britain takes inmates

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Guantánamo prison 'could close quickly' if Britain takes inmates

www.timesonline.co.uk

Britain has been asked formally by the Bush Administration to take Guantánamo terrorist suspects in an effort to close down the controversial detention centre in Cuba within weeks.

Robert Tuttle, the outgoing US Ambassador to London, told The Times yesterday that diplomatic efforts were at an advanced stage. He believes that countries such as Britain, which criticised Guantánamo, should be ready to help to close down the prison by taking some of its inmates.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Err,why the hell should we?

If they are from this country,then of course we should.But why should any country take them,why not just return them to their homes?

On the slightly paranoid side,is the US government trying to strategically position possible 'manchurian candidates' around the world?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

because some of the Inmates that are in the Cuban Resort

were handed over to US forces by tribes in exchange for Money,
and some will most likely be tortured considering the countries they are from.
and other reasons. not all of them were from the battle field

innocent/guilty they are they are screwed if they go back home

[edit on 7-1-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Sod that...

The Americans built this terrorist training camp, they should deal with the consequences.

Britain has enough problems without the need of 'recently converted fanatics' created by the US.

Damn you America. It's just one problem after another isn't it?

[edit on 7-1-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

innocent/guilty they are they are screwed if they go back home

Then I agree with Mr Lizard,America deals with the consequences.

Maybe Bush and each member of his government can adopt an ex con and take them home.Cheney can have more than one coz he's special.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Or maybe we just leave them in there.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DantesLost

Because your country is full of people whining that GITMO should close. So they should put their money where their mouth is and take the terrorists.

why not just return them to their homes?

Because they are murdering terrorists who will just go back out on the battlefield and point their weapons at innocent people. And they will go back and blow up civlians again.

Either take the damn terrorists or quit whining that they are locked up.
Anything else is ignorant.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

The Americans built this terrorist training camp, they should deal with the consequences.

If this is the case then the rest of the world should just butt out on how we deal with them.

Funny how they complained about the way they are treated but now want nothing to do with them.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Because your country is full of people whining that GITMO should close. So they should put their money where their mouth is and take the terrorists.

why not just return them to their homes?

Because they are murdering terrorists who will just go back out on the battlefield and point their weapons at innocent people. And they will go back and blow up civlians again.

Either take the damn terrorists or quit whining that they are locked up.
Anything else is ignorant.

You're ignorant to think that your problems should be passed on to other people.

Also many innocents are inside Guantanamo. I'm just praying that they don't vent their pain and anger on those that harbour them, instead maybe the people who put them there in the first place should make a mature decision...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
You're ignorant to think that your problems should be passed on to other people.

And you are just as ignorant for thinking that our "problems" are any of your concern.

Everyone is always complaining about how they want American to butt out of their affairs. Well, I'm more than ready for the rest of the world to get out of ours.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   

YOU'RE ignorant to think that you can sit there whining about GITMO being in operation, and then when you have to deal with the terrorists getting out of GITMO you whine again.

Also many innocents are inside Guantanamo.

Some folks love to spout this sentence .... but it simply isn't so.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

YOU'RE ignorant to think that you can sit there whining about GITMO being in operation, and then when you have to deal with the terrorists getting out of GITMO you whine again.

Also many innocents are inside Guantanamo.

Some folks love to spout this sentence .... but it simply isn't so.

Why should Britain have to deal with dozens, nay hundreds of broken, lost and agonised people who were put there by America. Either guilty or innocent...

Give me one good answer....

Those people were captured by Americans.... So let America deal with the problem as opposed to brushing it under the carpet.... (although i shouldn't be surprised, cos that's what your country does best)....

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

And you are just as ignorant for thinking that our "problems" are any of your concern.

I'm not ignorant for being concerned about the state of my country when you start releasing troubled people into it.

These people probably harboured no hate towards the western world, but after being chained down for six years, forced to sit in stress positions, isolation, torture etc.... Then i can imagine that these people will probably HATE us now.

Put them in America or send them home.

Not to the UK!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

That's exactly what us Aussies thought when Bush asked us the same thing not even a month ago. We told him exactly where he could shove that idea.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

So let America deal with the problem

Aha!

The first intelligent thing you've said so far.

It is our problem....so butt out!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   

So let America deal with the problem ...

Stop right there. That part of your sentence was enough.

LET AMERICA DEAL WITH IT. Quit whining that GITMO should be closed.
Quit telling us what to do. If you whiners would leave America to deal
with the terrorists in GITMO then you wouldn't all be hypocrites now for
not taking the terrorists after you all demanded that GITMO close.

link   
reply to post by nyk537

Errr....

Excuse me but you're the ones running around the world (first Australia, now the UK) asking us to take your garbage and WE are the ones who should butt out?

[edit on 8/1/2009 by Kryties]

link   

Originally posted by nyk537

So let America deal with the problem

Aha!

The first intelligent thing you've said so far.

It is our problem....so butt out!

Open your eyes, read the thread title.... realise that i'm talking about my country.... Slap yourself for being silly.

And please refrain from questioning my intelligence when you can't even understand what the thread is about.

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Excuse me but your're the ones running around the world (first Australia, now the UK) asking us to take your garbage and WE are the ones who should butt out?

Excuse me but you're the ones running around the world telling us what to do - close GITMO - so YES we are saying BUTT OUT otherwise we will ship all the terrorists to you and YOU can deal with them.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Otherwise it's hypocrisy.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Understand what the thread is about.

The point you seem to be missing is this. The only reason Bush is asking people to take some of these prisoners is because every other country in the world is demanding that we close the prison. They demand we close it, but don't to take any of the inmates.

Therefore....they should stay the hell out of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join