It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food - I'd -really- appreciate your opinions!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Not at all!

I'm aware of those foods you speak of, as my sister spent the better part of her life being supplemented on them. However, I am proposing flexibility in the options as well as tailoring them to a more rugged and unpredictable enviroment.

Also thanks for affirming the point on solid foods. As I said in my first post, I'm more than aware of this and fully intend to incorperate solid foods into the package. But nice to know someone else is on the ball nutrition wise!

Bigmoose

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by bigmoose

No problem.

Its part of my job to know about nutrition and its affects on the human body.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigmoose
MRE Questionnaire
1. Roughly, how tall are you and how heavy are you? This helps determine a medium of nutritional value.. or the need for a wide variety of servings!

2. How do you feel about primaraly liquid based MRE? I'm fully aware of the need for solid food, just for the record. But liquid based foods save a lot of space and weight, so how would you feel about a primaraly liquid diet?

3. If the MRE eventually was to be liquid, could you suggest any common 'flavours' or 'tastes' you'd appreciate? Chocolate.. Strawberry.. even 'chunky meat'!..

4. Would a self heating function be essential?

5. Likewise, how do you feel about hot vs. cold food?

Thanks for any help you guys can give. I'm trying to create a light, small, easy to make, tastey and nutritious survival and camping based MRE - just to be sure this is understood!

Cheers,
Bigmoose

[edit on 7-1-2009 by bigmoose]

[edit on 7-1-2009 by bigmoose]

Answers:

1.) I am 5' 9" tall, weigh 180 pounds have a daily caloric intake of about 2300 calories.
2.) Not for a primary liquid diet. First of all, volume-wise, liquid is heavier than dehydrates. Secondly, you run the risk of breakage or spillage during transport. Finally, spoilage becomes a bigger issue than with dehydrates.
3.) Again, i would prefer dehydrates that can be rehydrated
4.) not a concern
5.) no reference

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I'll throw my opinion into the ring.

I'm about 6' and 200 pounds.

I don't think I'd want to live on a liquid diet. But I do see merit in a product like I think you are going for if used as an emergency ration.

I don't think any "real food" taste would be good for a liquid meal. Maybe a milk shake flavor or something like that for the cold. Maybe just a chicken or beef broth flavor for the hot. And I agree, "chunky meat" sounds kinda gross to me.

I think that self heating would be a great addition. Especially if this is geared towards a survival meal. If I'm bugging out or trying to get home, I don't want to mess with a fire or stove.

I would think that both hot and cold meal would be good depending on the situation.

As additional input. Maybe instead of a bag like an MRE, you could put these into a can that's mostly empty. Add water to start up the heating or cooling process.

I know there are soda and coffee cups or cans that use a chemical reaction to heat or cool the beverage. Might be worth looking into.

As for the product itself. I can see myself getting a couple of them for emergencies. Maybe for the get home bag. If the shelf life was several years when stored in a vehicle, it would be a much bigger incentive for me to buy something like this.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Yuck, MREs. Not a good choice for survival food. The stuff weighs to much and has a limited shelf life and tastes like trash and gives most people the runs.

Freeze dried foods are the way to go. They can be stored for 15 years or longer. They are packed in nitrogen to eliminate oxygen. They are light weight for transportation and shipping. And when rehydrated, they are practically indistinguishable from fresh food in most cases.

Mountain House is what I've mostly stocked up on, an assortment of #10 cans, and those individual servings in pouches. Yeah, the stuff costs a bit more, but by the time you may need it, it may be a lot cheaper than anything else edible or available.

You can get all kinds of freeze dried foods, from ready to eat meals (just add hot water and eat from the pouch), to individual ingredients. Some will say freeze dried is not as good because water is required, but I would add that if you haven't any water, you're pretty much screwed anyhow.

You can pack a months worth of freeze dried meals into a backpack along with a water purifier and pan for boiling water and a spoon and a lighter and head into the forest and survive well enough. You can even buy freeze dried ice cream bars, ha.

During a disaster or other emergency, one does not need to suffer if they properly prepare. I even have emergency entertainment items stuffed into my survival stores. If the poo hits the fan, it will be like a regular enjoyable camping experience for me.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Hmmm…

A powdered food to be mixed with water to form a nourishing liquid? Sounds like pinole.

www.kurtsaxon.com...

Any kind of MRE type food is good for short term extreme situation use only IMO. A necessary component of course, but I’d hate to have to go with that only for very long.

I think that a pinole type product, fortified with vitamins and minerals etc. might be a good idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join