It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mythbusters use ex-FEMA camp?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Just a quick question for the ATS members. I was watching a few episodes of Discovery's Mythbusters, the episodes with segments "Blind Driving" and Driving while Angry" both used an "abandoned Military Base" words used by several cast members from the show. The Base looked like an abandoned town, with streets, houses etc, was this a FEMA base camp?

And another question, is Mythbusters a government based programe? I mean they seem to get anything they want! High volume explosives, bomb ranges, access to NASA, access to Cobolt radiation (Cockroach myth), Access to Naval Bases, and the supposed FEMA camp! I mean, imagine if you tried to get your hands on that! "Hey, lets get some TNT, borrow a millitary bomb range and blow up a truck!", I mean come on!
They also looked pretty snug with NASA about the moon landing as well!

[edit on 7-1-2009 by the_black_project]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Have you ever been on a military base? That is what it looks like, a town with streets, houses etc.

It sounds to me like they were at - an abandoned military base.

Why would you think it was anything other than such?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
somebody on yahoo answers suggested a place called fort ord in california.

answers.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
Have you ever been on a military base? That is what it looks like, a town with streets, houses etc.

Well, for your information I have! What comes to me as odd is the fact that it looks to normal,- With Pedestrian crossings! It honestly does not shout military base!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
ummm, military bases have ped crossings. Hell, i was stationed at F.E. Warren AFB they actually had antelope crossings. seriously those things were everywhere. Added to the beauty of the base tho

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_black_project

Well, for your information I have! What comes to me as odd is the fact that it looks to normal,- With Pedestrian crossings! It honestly does not shout military base!

I didn't see the show, so I can't really say what it looked like, I'm just going by your description. But army bases do look like normal towns in many ways, especially when you get into the areas that have the housing. Actually, I'd say those areas look more like projects than a military base, but I don't want to get started on how crappy the military is paid.

The biggest things that scream military base are the signs. The brown signs all over the place, and of course any old vintage equipment laying around. Like my unit had an old WW2 tank out in front of it etc, but that would probably be taken if they abandoned it, as well as the signs.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I didn't see the show, so I can't really say what it looked like, I'm just going by your description. But army bases do look like normal towns in many ways, especially when you get into the areas that have the housing. Actually, I'd say those areas look more like projects than a military base, but I don't want to get started on how crappy the military is paid.

The biggest things that scream military base are the signs. The brown signs all over the place, and of course any old vintage equipment laying around. Like my unit had an old WW2 tank out in front of it etc, but that would probably be taken if they abandoned it, as well as the signs.

What was usually on those brown signs?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
to me what rules out Fort Ord is that the still train there even though its abandoned, test firing missiles, raids etc...
why would you let a bunch of dorky looking science nuts drive around there?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
It is at Hamilton Air Force Base in Hamilton, CA.

I worked in an office there. They are redeveloping the ex-base into offices and residential properties. Mythbusters uses the shells of the old hangars not yet redeveloped for some of their tests.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by the_black_project

Maybe they pay for the use, or Discovery gives them something in exchange so they cna use the property?
They use a fair amount of explosives and often work at test sites so they can run the more entertaining myths.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'll confirm what Anonymous said.

BTW, I'm an Army brat. I grew up in places just like that -- crosswalks and parks and everything. As to "how do they get the stuff", the show has a big budget, they have contact with a lot of special effects folks, and over the years they've built up relationships (and reputations) so that they can make a few calls in their networks and come up with the devices or parts that they need. I could probably buy a jet engine (like they did) if I had enough money and enough time, but because of their fame and their contacts, they can do it far more quickly.

Many people in the tech and information industries are fans of the show, and I'm sure they've been offered resources through and by these folks.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
That's it,
I can't take anymore. Now I can put up with a lot of theories, but once you invleve the beloved Mythbusters you are going to far.
But seriously if you notice they don't get to set up the really big bangs they have professionals come in and do all that.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

to me what rules out Fort Ord is that the still train there even though its abandoned, test firing missiles, raids etc...

They let people play paintball or surf on the grounds of Camp Pendleton on weekends, with nothing more than a check for a valid California driver's license. Also: all the military bases I've been to have sections that look just like residential neighborhoods, albeit very rigidly planned neighborhoods. In fact, in San Diego they've converted a disused navy base into an upscale neighborhood, schools, and shopping district by renovating all the old buildings and sprucing up the landscaping.

People LIVE on military bases, and so obviously they need houses and crosswalks and gas stations and stores and all the other niceties expected for modern life.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
No, I love to watch the Mythbusters! Though is Jamie a robot?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

What was usually on those brown signs?

Just signs that tell you were to go and what stuff is. Nothing different from any other signs, they just always seemed to be brown when I was in the military(and when I was a kid, I'm an army brat as well). They have other signs that are just regular road signs. Stop signs still look like stop signs etc.

(oddly enough, it wasn't easy finding pictures for examples).

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Some military bases are completely open. You don't even have to show an id or anything upon entering the base. It really depends on what is on the base. Like if you were to go to redstone arsenal, where they do design missles and things of that nature - you will need id to get on the base and clearance. But if you went to a base that just has units and stuff, it's pretty open. Or there will just be certain areas of the base where you need to ID to get beyond.

Military bases work like regular towns. They have usually a burger king, they have a PX, which is like a walmart/target, they have liquor stores, taxi's and so on. Pizza delivery people come on to the base and all kinds of things.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
In and around San Francisco you have these WWII bases that some are parks. areas for redevelopment or like I think treasure Island is where it's openess and lots of concrete. is sort of iscolated since TI is in the middle of the bay on oaklands side...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I was stationed at Ft. Knox in Kentucky and there was a Burger King and a bar right across the street from my barracks. Military bases look very much like your normal town for the most part.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Military bases have to have houses for personnel. They've actually been at that same base several times (though at different parts of it).

They are a big show with lots of viewers, and I'm sure that influences the people that they ask favors from.

top topics

join