It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anti-psychotics and weight gain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I know that anti-psychotics are known to have weight gain as a side effect, but what kind of dose would cause this side effect? Any dose, medium to high dose, high dose...

Specifically, I'm on only .25mg of Risperdal and gained 15 pounds in September and October. Guh! Could this small of a dose be a contributing factor or is it entirely something else that I'm doing?

Has anyone else experienced a similar gain on a small dose? My psychiatrist seems to avoid talking about weight side effects with me...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xhorrorgasmx

Hi x,

Yeah I have the same problem. I take Seroquel which is an anti-psychotic though in my case it is prescribed for acute insomnia. Since I started taking it a couple of years ago I have put on weight and don't seem to manage to lose it no matter what I do. I actually eat very little, no meat, do juice fasts, and still I won't lose the weight.

A lot of AP drugs have that and many other side affects. I wish I had a solution for you, I am looking for one myself.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
My brother gained A LOT of weight on his anti-psychotics. He's 6 foot 6 and now weighs about 280LBs. He's normally a bean pole.

I think your doc is avoiding talking about minor side effects because they may be concerned that you would go off your medication.

As far as I know my brother has not been able to lose any weight either.

I have no idea why these medications cause weight gain but I would guess it alters the metabolism is some patients, you may also be retaining a lot of fluids which can definitely lead to a small increase in weight gain.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Some anti-psychotics do. But these drugs each effect each person individually. Especially APs because they do mess with chemicals, so it can really vary from person to person. Which is why very few people taking these seem to be on the same cocktail.

I think it was Risperdal too that my husband took and he gained 20 pounds in one month!
His doc took him off that instantly.
lol

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
you are probably going to gain more taking the risperdal. when i was taking it i gained about 40 pounds in a couple of months and i still have not shed it

new topics

top topics

join