It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge undersea 'wall' discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Huge undersea 'wall' discovered

news.bbc.co.uk

A giant rock formation resembling a city wall has been discovered under the Taiwan Strait.

The 220m stretch of basalt rock was found by biodiversity researcher Jeng Ming-hsiou.

He said it was likely to have been formed by a volcanic eruption up to 1,800 years ago.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-1-2009 by D.E.M.]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Ahh, how my heart skipped a beat and made me think of R'lyeh when I read this. Sadly, seems to be a natural formation created by the pacific rim.

Also sadly, this discovery is likely not going to do much to help the validation of the undersea ruins off Japan that were found back in the 80's.

One wonders how this escaped discovery for so long, however, that is a pretty well mapped part of the world, in underwater terms.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Good find

I wonder if they'll find other [Naturally formed] "Man made looking" Items in the surrounding areas?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Sadly, sometimes all the parentheses, apostrophes and punctuation in the whole world won't prevent a geological formation from remaining a geological formation.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ever wonder why the bottom of the ocean floor is the one place the public knows very little about? we have better pictures and maps of mars.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
During the last ice age a much larger amount of the world's water would have been trapped in glaciers, thus lowering the overall water level of the world's oceans a significant amount. This would expose a large amount of land that is not underwater now to the surface. If it looks sort of like an ancient wall it is very likely that it could be, except just covered with thousands of years of aquatic growth.

And it is true, we know less about what is under the oceans than we do about the surface of some of the inner planets.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I see way too many right angles for that to be naturally formed..

I know I'm not the only one that sees this.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
How many times are they goint to make the claim that these underwater walls are natural formations?

We know that many ancient cities that were once on land are now under water, some of them in very deep water.

We also know that early land masses had similar but not identical shapes to the land masses today, those ancient shorelines would have had cities on them. And when those shorelines became buried by water due to the changes of the landmass movement and rising water levels, they would end up near exsisting shorelines.

There are some naturally formed "wall" looking formations, but really, all of them...NOT.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Nature can create quite a surprising forms...

I was really surprised when I learned about these:

sciencemode.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Maybe someone has a better picture of them?

new topics

top topics

join