It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tribute to my Mama Locke

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Wow. It's 2009 already! The latter part of 2008 went by in a blur. The following is a recollection of my life over the last few months. I'd like to share it with you. First a bit of history.

I'm 39 (seriously) and raised in the South! I do say Y'all, speak with a Southern accent, and love Sweet Tea!

At 39, I was blessed to still have three grandmothers still in my life (yes, three; one is the mother of my step-father). And what a joy they were! My Granny Imogene is stil with us and doing well. God Bless You, Granny `Gene!

My Mama Locke (Rosa) passed away after a prolonged stay in a nursing facility post (multiple) strokes. She was now living close to her only son (my dad) in South Carolina. When I grew up, she lived here, not far from me. Anyways, I got a phone call back in November from my brother telling me that she was not doing well and not expected to last much longer. My 16 year old son and I got the rest of the family taken care of, and then took off for South Carolina. (despite my car breaking down -- in my driveway -- just as I'm about to leave (That's a TY for God's intervention). Also, I thank God for the Lexus dealership here in Huntsville. They brought a car to me within 15 minsthat I was able to drive to SC. Now was that God's work, or what!).

After a long drive, we reached the nursing facility around 9:00 o'clock p.m. in Columbia. I found my grandmother in a room with another occupant (who was sound asleep!). My Mama (maw-maw) was struggling to breathe and on a noisy portable oxygen machine. I sat by her bedside, held her hand and cried and cried! The guilt and the sadness was overwhelming! I said many prayers.. begged that He take her quickly and painlessly! Shortly after, we left to eat and sleep. The phone call came the next morning at 7:00 a.m. She was gone. I awoke that night around 3:00 am, thinking she was gone. I believe in this was when she left us. Sad, sad day, but good that she no longer had to struggle. The saddest part of her story was that she spent nearly her entire married life caring for her husband (my PaPa) who had many strokes at an early age. He was paralyzed on the right side and had a severe speech impediment. He could speak (mumble) and she could understand him just like he was speaking as clearly as I, but we all struggled to understand him. She took care of all matters of their household, including working outside of the home and most importantly, she loved him constantly. He passed away with me and my Mama by his side at the hospital on December 30, 2000. His funeral took place on January 1st or 2nd, 2001. As I pulled up to the funeral home, an amblance was at the back door. I quickly discovered that my dear sweet Mama had suffered her first stroke at the viewing of her husband just prior to the funeral service. Devastation is what I now felt. I left the service to be by her side at the hospital. After many weeks of rehab, she returned home; later moved with another granddaughter in Florida; suffered more strokes and then went to her final location in Columbia, SC.

Through this horrible ordeal, I reached out to God for His comfort. And I'm living proof that He did help me. I did grieve, but I was also able to go on with life despite feeling totally numb and useless at that time. I still fieel guilty for not spending more time with her when she lived here. I took her presence for granted and always counted on her to just "be there".

This was around Thanksgiving of 2008. Now let's fast forward a few weeks and let me introduce you to my Granny T. There will be a bit of bias here and you'll probably notice I was closer to my Granny T, than I was to my Mama. I loved them both, but my Granny T was a constant in my life and such a mentor to me.

Clara Tidwell is her name, but if you met her, more than likely she told you to just call her "Granny T". See my next post for her story!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Sounds to me they were a blessing in your life. I to remember taking for granted. I had Uncle Mary Martin who was one of the best people in my life. He die from diabetes doing the whole diealisist thing. But was a man walking into a bad situation, and still leting people use him, and yet he did it for us kids. God bless his son. I think we always keep them in memory in everything we do. Cuz there watching!!!! lol

join