It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The WTC Sphere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm curious about this WTC Sphere. Why was it designed the way it was? The original design looks as if it is wrecked, ironic that it was on Sep, 11. What was this thing supposed to symbolize? Are there any conspiracies regarding it?

Koenig started work in 1967 in his barn in Bavaria, while the WTC was in the planning stages, and finished it four years later in time for the opening of the towers. Officially titled Große Kugelkaryatide (Great Spherical Caryatid) by the artist, New Yorkers soon nicknamed it The Sphere. It was meant to symbolize world peace through world trade, and was placed at the center of a ring of fountains and other decorative touches designed by trade center architect Minoru Yamasaki. It was set to rotate once every 24 hours, and its base became a popular lunch spot for workers in the trade center on days with good weather.

What is the significance of the name? Great Spherical Caryatid ?
What is the significance of the 24 hour rotation?

Interesting side note:
In the movie fight club they destroy a golden sphere looking structure. They knock the sphere from its post which is on a fountain. The WTC Sphere also sits on a fountain. Ironically at the end of fight club, the WTC buildings are destroyed.

I guess what am I asking is was there more to this thing? Did it have some sort of occult symbolism or am I over analyzing it?

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Techsnow]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
And why does the Vatican have a sphere too?

Vatican Sphere

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Techsnow]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

Perhaps they are symbolic to the internal mechanics/forces within our world, given globes/spheres often refer to the world. However ironic since the Catholic Church was adamant that the earth was flat and we were at the center of the universe.

Yet again this could also point to a "broken" global state, intriguing find. Then again it could always be the wild imaginings of a true artist. Perhaps if someone living in these areas could look into them further and post said information here, we might unravel this mystery.

- Maban

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Hmmm this is eerily familiar...

www.geocities.com...

Both the WTC & Vatican sculptors show some symbolic kinship to the darkside...
not to mention their core purposes as institutions

[edit on 21-1-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I used to loved spending time there

I believe it's just cracked, or mishapen or whatever, because a regular gold sphere wouldn't be all that "artsy"?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

You have obviously never seen Fight Club. The buildings they destroy are empty buildings in downtown Portland,Oregon. There was never any mention of the WTC towers in that film. Quit sensationalizing a trivial sculpture.
I have to admit though, it does look like the sphere in the movie. "Trash a franchise coffee house,destroy a peice of corporate art."

[edit on 21-1-2009 by spookjr]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
To me it looks like a representation of Atlas bearing the burden of a broken world.

Or popcorn.

[edit on 2/12/09 by emsed1]

posted on Feb, 12 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Another view:

new topics

top topics

join