It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008: Worst UFO Media Year Ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This article serves as a counter argument to those claims that every mention of UFOs in the media is somehow preparing us for disclosure. Coverage in 2008 may not have done anyone, except those who ridicule this field, any favors.

2008 started out as just another mediocre year for the mainstream media’s ineptitude with UFO issues. But boy, did that ever change...

...as the months went by, UFOs continued to provide the media intelligentsia with easy rhetorical devices in which to gauge the stupidity of the American people.

...in July when the Mutual UFO Network uncorked an online bombshell – a 77-page evaluation of radar records from 4 to 8 p.m. near Stephenville...Schulze, a resident of Littleton, Col., couldn’t even draw ink from the hometown media. But he pointed out that the Denver Post and the Rocky Mountain News managed to cover Denver rez Jeff Peckman’s press conference, which advocated spending municipal funds on an extraterrestrial liaison committeee.

SOURCE

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

could you please explain your p.o.v. here because I don't understand what you are implying in reference to the source. You are just making a declaration and not giving any supporting argument (a common psuedoskeptic tactic). To me the source does imply slow disclosure since new sources seemed to refuse to cover an actual interesting UFO case that provided both eye witness accounts, radar reports, and an air force lie. Instead the MSM continued to provided less than satisfactory reports on old ufo news and continued the ridicule campaign.

I didn't understand the one remark in the source about americans and the relation of UFO's to evolution. Are they making a statement about evolution? or about UFO's? Anyways a little more analysis from the OP might make this a more interesting discussion.

As they say in hollywood though any press coverage is good coverage especially for a subject that has been blacklisted from any serious reporting, discussion, and investigation for so long.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Thank you so much for the article savior, because after reading the article i noticed some comments by steven basset and others who support the article as well.

the article is an honest reflection of how bad we covered the UFO phenomenon this year but on a personal level, i think it was a great year and 2009 should be a whoot too.

larry king had a great period of about 4 weeks with great guest, including the dreaded bill nye the science guy.

This article shows how ill prepared we are to really convey the UFO phenomenon seriously in spite of so much testemony which took place this year. Dont let the article title fool you, its a catch 22 which actually supports the 2008 year in UFO's. the fact that it was reported 'bad' doesnt really mean that we didnt have an eventful year in deed.

savior, after taking another look at your OP, you are correct in saying that this year was not leading us closer to disclosure, my above statments were writin without the disclosure aspect in mind, and personally I dont play the disclosure card cause seriously what do i know about when and who will disclose. seriously.

[edit on 1/7/2009 by LordThumbs]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

Thank you for the article. I did notice the condescending way the UFO community is treated. We as the community bring it on ourselves by not policing and vetting the various individuals involved. Just look at all the contactee, abductee and whistle blower (I worked in an underground alien base) threads posted here. Is it any wonder we are not treated seriously? Nothing new will change that in 2009 unless more tough questions are asked by UFO researchers themselves (although they will be accused of being disinformation agents).

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
This is a great article and I think it really nailed it on the head.

I will email the author Billy Cox ([email protected]) and thank him for telling it how it is and this wonderful critique of the media in regards to the UFO subject.

I encourage everyone to speak their minds and let the author know your opinions.

new topics

top topics

join