It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what does it mean when two things corelate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
may i ask you, the enquiring minds of ATS, what do you conclude when two or more events happen in parallel to one another?

the best answers may (not) or may not get a tasty prize*!!

*a biscuit, bought by you.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by squidboot
may i ask you, the enquiring minds of ATS, what do you conclude when two or more events happen in parallel to one another?

Maybe nothing, maybe something...

Does that help?

From a scientific point of view, a statistically significant correlation can indicate a possible relationship. Illusory correlations are possible; however, if the relationship is supported logically, it is potentially more than illusory. So a reliable correlation can minimally suggest causation of some sort, but clear and firm claims of causation are questionable from correlation alone.

The problem is the direction of causation (A>B or B>A) and the potential for mediating variables (A>C (unknowns; even D, E. F etc)>B).

Hopefully, that helps more, lol.

From a more psychological perspective, we do have a tendency to make illusory correlations between unrelated phenomena. This appears to underpin some stereotype formation. Thus, we incorrectly apply associations from specific to general very easily.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by squidboot
What Does It Mean When Two Things Corelate?

may i ask you, the enquiring minds of ATS, what do you conclude when two or more events happen in parallel to one another.

i see it as a novelty...a happenstance...
or the correlation may not be a link or relationship to one another
we readily 'see' or acknowledge, or are comfortable with.

but, i would usually go to education.yahoo.com...
to find out what 'Correlation' means in the thesaurus or-and dictionary

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Oh, this is a deep one!

When two things are seen to "correlate," it means some aspect of those things share a common form. I say "form" because geometry is something that is so universal it can be readily used to represent most anything you can think of on some conceptual level, but it could be anything.

A duck and a banana correlate because they are both associated with the color yellow. A tree and a plant correlate because they use many of the same biological processes and resemble each other in many other ways. The number 50 correlates to the expression "(2 (5)) + 40" because they represent exactly the same integer in our mathematics. So these all shares commonalities but the commonalities themselves may differ.

What does it mean when two things correlate?

Really, everything in existence correlates, which is why you will hear people say "everything is one" or "all is one." Two things correlating is just a small demonstration of this fact.

The concept of entanglement in quantum physics reveals a very similar physical behavior at the quantum level: two touching particles can be sent traveling away from each other at the speed of light, and yet changing the movement of one results in a change in movement in the other immediately. Some form of information (energy) travels faster than light on a quantum level and informs the particles. If there was ever a point of singularity in our universe, then that implies that everything is still connected to everything else on a quantum level. Science catching up with 1000's-years old philosophical principles.

Pick any two objects you possible can think of, and they will be correlated somehow. It is impossible for you to think of two things that don't correlate, especially since even thinking about them and trying to associate them in your head at least gives them one correlation: both concepts were compared and contrasted in your head. If that sounds trivial, what is so trivial about your actions and thoughts in the universe compared to the motions of a single atom? Think about it. Everything ties together somewhere, even if you can't see it so clearly from here.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
co-relate or relate together...that implies a common thread or underlying theme which makes it more probable that there is a trend and that the events are not coincidental. do you have an example to analyze?

new topics

top topics

join