It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

809 (and others) Area Code Scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   

809 (and others) Area Code Scam

www.att.com

This long distance phone scam causes consumers to inadvertently incur high charges on their phone bills. Consumers usually receive a message telling them to call a phone number with an 809, 284 or 876 area code in order to collect a prize, find out information about a sick relative, etc. The caller assumes the number is a typical three-digit U.S. area code; however, the caller is actually connected to a phone number outside the United States, often in Canada or the Caribbean, and charged international call rates. Unfortunately, consumers don't find out that they have been charged higher international call rates until they receive their bill.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.snopes.com

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This one is being distributed all over the US . This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to call.

They get you to call by telling you that it is information about a family member who has been ill or to tell you someone has-been arrested, died, or to let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.

In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these calls.

If you call from the US , you will be charged at International rates, in addition to the private company's charges, up to $100 per-minute.

Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point is, they will try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges. Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more than $2,000.00

Why It Works:

The 809 area code is located in the Dominican Republic. They are not regulated by the US laws. 867 and 284 are also frequently used by Caribbean and other scammers.

The charges afterward can become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the call. If you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign company. You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have done nothing wrong.

www.att.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
My phone will not allow outgoing international calls only incoming because I was told I would be charged extra for the service but they would allow incoming because the caller then receive the charges.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

Because these numbers are similar to U.S. area codes, you do not have to dial an International code, as you would if calling Mexico or the U.K.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
LOL.. I guess its the conspiracy nut in me..
every time I get an odd message ont he machine..
I tend to look up the number on the internet..

you won $5 million inb the Swedish Lottery./.. call this number to
claim your prize.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

This sounds a lot worse than it is. Read the links closely. The Snopes article is from 2000 and admits the likelihood and severity of the problem was vastly overstated even back then.

Anytime you have ANY charges on your bill by a third party company (for collect or 900 type pay per call or operator assist) you can open a dispute with your local provider. They aren't charges from the local telco, they're just billing for a third party company. You cannot have your phone service disrupted for failing to pay third party company charges as long as you're disputing them.

Your local telco knows the drill on this, and in the event of fraud will have no reluctance to recourse the charges back to the originating company. Who could then theoretically attempt to collect the charges via another avenue, but that's even more unlikely.

The short course is, they prey upon the folks who just pay the bill without questioning it. And if that's 10% of the people who are billed, it can still be lucrative.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 1/7/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

and I quote: "...even if the subject one is fake, we wouldn't have to put up with half the baloney that gets posted as "fact" or "proof" and might have civil and productive discussions and real fact-finding.

I challenge everyone who posts a new thread or response asserting a factual basis for any conclusion to print and follow this document. The OP obviously did not, or he would have offered proper attribution and a deeper consideration of his source before jumping to an unsupported, sensationalist conclusion. What a waste of a thread! "

thankyou.

wZn

new topics

top topics

join