It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Builders of the Adytum (BOTA) about?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I was doing research into the various secret societies and fraternal organizations and came across the Builders of the Adytum (BOTA). www.bota.org

From what I understand they are very similar to Freemasons, but more like old fashioned masons than how it is today. Does anyone have insight or information into the BOTA?

This is the 'mission statement' if you will, straight from the homepage of the website:

"Adytum is the Greek word for Inner Shrine or Holy of Holies. Like Jesus, who many believe was trained in Qabalah, members of the Order aspire to build the Inner Temple, to construct the Holy of Holies within. People of all faiths are welcome to study the teachings of this Order. B.O.T.A. recognizes Qabalah as the root of Judaism and Christianity. Its ultimate purpose is to hasten the true Brotherhood of mankind and to make manifest the truth that love is the only real power in the universe."

Thank you in advance for all knowledge and insight.

[edit on 7-1-2009 by johnny2127]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by johnny2127

I'm a long time member of both Masonry and BOTA, so I'll take a shot at answering your question:

Masonry is more of a traditional fraternal club. It is male-only, meets regularly in Lodges, and is non-dogmatic.

BOTA, on the other hand, is much different. It is much more focused on spiritual development and the search for meaning. It is open to both men and women. While there are BOTA study groups in areas where several members live near each other, much of the work is done solitarily. There is an actual curriculum involved, including graded exams, on aspects of occult theoretical knowledge.

In Masonry, there is much emphasis on ritual. In BOTA, the emphasis is on independent study and reflection.

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Masonic Light]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

Makes sense. I have heard many Freemasons go to BOTA eventually. Obviously both Freemasonry and BOTA each has their own importance. Would you say that Freemasonry can lead to BOTA or vice versa? Or would you say they are independent of each other?

Also, which experience have your personally found more fulfilling?

Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Anyone know more about the BOTA?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127

Makes sense. I have heard many Freemasons go to BOTA eventually. Obviously both Freemasonry and BOTA each has their own importance. Would you say that Freemasonry can lead to BOTA or vice versa? Or would you say they are independent of each other?

They are independent, but yes, one could lead to another, and my own history is an example. I was a member of BOTA first; on the recommended reading list for BOTA students is "Morals and Dogma" by Albert Pike.

After reading Pike's book, I decided to request admission into Masonry, so you might could say that my BOTA membership indirectly led me to Masonry. Incidentally, Dr. Paul Foster Case, the founder of BOTA, was also a Mason.

Also, which experience have your personally found more fulfilling?

That's difficult to say. In the sense of acquiring actual occult knowledge and experience, the BOTA wins easily. But if you look at it from the perspective of group dynamics and the inward process of initiation, Masonry has been very important as well.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Interesting for sure. Of course to someone like me that doesn't know about it, the idea of studying the occult is somewhat scary and unsettling. How would you describe that subject?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Interesting for sure. Of course to someone like me that doesn't know about it, the idea of studying the occult is somewhat scary and unsettling. How would you describe that subject?

The Latin word "occult" simply means "hidden", as in hidden knowledge or wisdom. The basic theory behind occultism is that there is a complete knowledge of God and the meaning of life that is both hidden and manifested in Nature, both on earth and in the universe at large.

It is a complex area of study, and is almost completely misunderstood by those who are not occultists. Perhaps we could say that it is a blend of psychology, philosophy, science, and religion, which expresses itself through a set of symbolism.

For beginners, I would recommend "The Kybalion" by "Three Initiates", one of which was Paul Foster Case, founder of the Builders of the Adytum and Past Chief Adept of the Alpha et Omega Temple of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

The book can be read in full online here

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

studying the occult is somewhat scary and unsettling.

Occultism is not Satanism

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

studying the occult is somewhat scary and unsettling.

Occultism is not Satanism

Hey, you recommended the Kybalion too. I guess great minds do think alike!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I had noticed...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I know it isn't. My comment was not one of criticism, just admitting my lack of understanding.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Thank you for the book reference. I will read it today and let you know what I think.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Masonic Light, where are you from? My friend is wondering if he knows you. He knows someone with the same sort of profile and he said speaks very similarly.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Anyone know more about the BOTA?

There was a controversy back around 1990, they have a problem with admitting gay people into higher levels of the order..and, as far as I can tell, that practice remains to this day. Found out about that through a BOTA yahoo group..I had joined BOTA..but when I got this bit of info, I quit. I'm not gay, but I am black, and I don't support discrimination of any kind. I even called their los angeles office(I live in los angeles) to inquire about this, but got a lot of hemming and hawing..didn't feel right to me. just my 2 cents..

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Interesting info. I wonder what their logic for this is. I am gay either, but it could raise red flags.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Interesting info. I wonder what their logic for this is. I am gay either, but it could raise red flags.

Well, based on what I got from that group, and perusing the early materials I received, they tend towards a christian-flavored esotericism..their problem with gays was religious in nature. here's a linky..the site itself seems to be down for the moment, but check it later..
www.tribe.net... When it was working, it had all the info on this deal.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hmm, very interesting. Well I will continue my research on this topic.

How did you end up finding BOTA? And are you now part of any other group? Freemasons, etc

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Hmm, very interesting. Well I will continue my research on this topic.

How did you end up finding BOTA? And are you now part of any other group? Freemasons, etc

actually I found out about BOTA from reading masoniclight's posts..I've been a member of AMORC(3 months), OBOD(Order of bards, ovates and druids) and other groups.. can't find one that fits..so I'll just keep my eyes open until the right one comes along..

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well I wish you luck with that. Nearly everyone I know involved with various groups say that finding the right group is just as important as the right lodge within that group. Each seems to have its own personality. So I don't know if its the lodges you don't feel right with or the doctrine. Or both.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Well I wish you luck with that. Nearly everyone I know involved with various groups say that finding the right group is just as important as the right lodge within that group. Each seems to have its own personality. So I don't know if its the lodges you don't feel right with or the doctrine. Or both.

Thanks..yeah, I'm a hard fit, really..I should just start my own society
good luck on your journey as well..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join