It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Holes Lead Galaxy Growth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, but this one seemed the more appropriate.

I just came across this one and found it pretty interesting.

Astronomers may have solved a cosmic chicken-and-egg problem -- the question of which formed first in the early Universe -- galaxies or the supermassive black holes seen at their cores.

"We finally have been able to measure black-hole and bulge masses in several galaxies seen as they were in the first billion years after the Big Bang, and the evidence suggests that the constant ratio seen nearby may not hold in the early Universe. The black holes in these young galaxies are much more massive compared to the bulges than those seen in the nearby Universe," said Fabian Walter of the Max-Planck Institute for Radioastronomy (MPIfR) in Germany.

"The implication is that the black holes started growing first."

Source: ScienceDaily

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
For some reason I can find this quite easy to understand and quite hard at the same time! Absolutly stunning in a way, and glad that I'm getting back into astronomy at my university

Anyway, I..get it in a way and at the same time still don't get it. Black holes formed first, then galaxies came about (This I can sort of see in a way), yet at the same time I'm wondering what energy had caused this event to happen. Generally when a star collapses in on itself and has the energy to do so a black hole is produced, so did something massive collapse before the birth of galaxies to cause this? I thought super massive black holes would have been the result of something gigantic within' the galaxy collapsing in on itself. Either way I look at this my heard hurts and I'm just going back to bed

Anyway a star and flag for an interesting morning read on this snowy day.

new topics

join