It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia exercise with Greece sets precedent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Russia exercise with Greece sets precedent

www.worldtribune.com

ATHENS — Russia has launched its first military exercise in Greece, regarded as the closest NATO member to Moscow.

Greece's military said the Russian Navy began an exercise in the Aegean Sea and within Greece. The military said the air and naval exercise, the first by Russia in the NATO ally, began on Jan. 3 and would end eight days later.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit to correct quote]

[edit on 6-1-2009 by gnothiseauton]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ok, I searched and I couldn't find this anywhere. If it exists mods please remove it.

It is interesting to know that Russian navy and air forces will be in the Mediterranean, especially with everything else that is going on in the region.

I do not think this is related to the war in the region, but if things escalate it can turn bad real quick...

www.worldtribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It is not an exercise with the Hellenic Air Force or the Hellenic Navy. The territory in question is not even Greece proper but rather airspace near Rhodes and Crete. The Greeks granted the Russians permission to conduct these exercises within the Flight Identification Zone near these two islands. Why the Russian's bothered with this instead of conducting these exercises out in the open Med can only be left up to speculation. Probably more of a diplomatic/political meaning rather than a necessity.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Thanks for pointing that out. The article title is misleading.
The title says "... with Greece" and in the article it says "... in Greece".

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hmm, I wonder if them conducting excersizes in the region might have something to do with this possible scenario?

CIA Preparing to Install Military Government in Greece?

Is the CIA again preparing to assist a military junta in a coup d’etat as a means of ousting a government friendly to Russian geopolitical objectives? The reaction of the lower ranks of the Greek military after they discovered they were being prepared to be used as a standing army against their own people at least offers hope that any such move will be resisted.

Full Article:

www.infowars.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
The current government in Greece is pro-US compared to others in the past however given some blunders as viewed by Greece on the part of the Bush administration, for example a very pro-Turkish stance and recognition of FYROM as "Republic of Macedonia" which basically ticked the Greeks off like no tommorow it's not hard to see why Greece is opting a less pro-US stance, besides, as well as the Bush administration being unpopular throughout the world except for maybe Georgia, Ukraine and FYROM. Greece, Russia and Serbia have always been close, maybe historically (Eastern Orthodoxy). Besides, it appears Obama and Biden favour a Greek view point over Turkey and what they decide on FYROM is yet to come, although the Gruevksi propaganda machine seems to have settled down since the US election outcome.

The excercises in the Aegean aren't excercises but a military position against the Ukraine now that we know that the gas supply has been cut. Russia was being strategic.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

CIA Preparing to Install Military Government in Greece?

Alex Jones' sensationalist headlines only detracts from the real story. The real story may be that the CIA has some involvement in Greece. However, resorting to speculating that a military government is being formed is a bit much at this time.

CIA involvement in Greece is clear if we merely look at something featured on their own web site.

The Central Intelligence Agency is hiring qualified and experienced Language Instructors of Arabic, Chinese/Mandarin, Dari, French, Greek, Pashto, Persian (Farsi) and Russian to work in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.

Careers at CIA - Foreign Language Instructors

I can't explain the French one, but the rest are obvious. So you have to wonder if Greek is simply a need like French appears to be, or if there is a little more of an agenda behind it as there is with the others.

[edit on 1/7/09 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Even if Jones is correct and the CIA is planning to install military government in Greece I do not think it will be successful because they already did it once, I do not think the people are stupid enough to have it happen again.

Greeks blame the previous junta (and rightly so) for the Turkish invasion in Cyprus and also for the deaths of the students at the Athens Polytechnic. It would be really hard for any military government to work in Greece again.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
[edit: ah, boll***, just realised I started replying to this thread while I was also reading the greek-style-rioting-to-appear-in-the-US, so my reply was umm... mixed and ended up offtopic for this particular thread. I'd have removed this post completely but I can't see how. So I tried to remove irrelevant bits and make it more on-topic]

Hi all,

Let me chip in, being a greek myself.

The public are generally not happy with the govt and how it's been handling various affairs (public money and economics in general, the FYROM issue, other affairs).

We all know the current govt is pro-US and controlled from... external sources. We also know that the major opposing party isn't any better (as well as other parties). Our PM's nickname is "the invisible prime minister" while his main opponent is generally accepted to be an incompetent idiot who merely clings to the inherited party "throne".

[removed all info related to December's rioting here]

The Bush administration's support in countries with opposing interests lately (namely FYROM and partly Turkey), has weakened the bonds between the two countries even more, even on a government level. Certainly so for the greek population. This was seen by many European forces as an opportunity to step in.

France made a diplomatic move 2-3 months ago and now Russia, with whom we always sort of had good relations (due to religion / history), is also stepping in to say "we're here". The general public sees this on a very positive light, being all too familiar with the workings of CIA and the like in our internal affairs. Lets say that "Condi" and Mr Bush are not exactly popular figures around here...

[edited to re-place missing *s]

[edit on 19-1-2009 by thymisou]

[edit on 19-1-2009 by thymisou]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

Agree. It is probably transiting from the Black Sea via the Gibraltar Strait to the Atlantic and conducting exercises on the way. Permission has to be sought when flying within a country's designated airspace or within 12 miles (territorial waters) of land.

It is standard procedure for any Naval vessel to request that permission. It also fires off a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) telling them of that activity and for other vessels / aircraft to basically stay away.

So nothing unusual here.

top topics

join