It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors stuck at bottleneck on Gaza border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Doctors stuck at bottleneck on Gaza border

news.yahoo.com

RAFAH, Egypt - Greek anesthesiologist Dimitrios Mognie and another doctor arrived at this border crossing loaded with medical supplies to help Gazans wounded in the Israeli offensive. Instead, they have waited at the border for days.

On Tuesday, a representative from a Norwegian medical aid organization was allowed to enter the Gaza Strip from Rafah. But most doctors have been denied entry by Egyptian authorities and spend their days drinking tea and coffee at a small, dusty cafe near the crossing's metal gates.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit; Somehow posted wrong link. Link is further down on page in different post unless a Mod can fix it.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by jam321]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I find this pretty interesting that Egypt is keeping some doctors from entering Gaza to help the wounded. I can see them fearing for the lives of these doctors, however, these doctors are well aware of the risk they face and had already made the decision to go in. Will Egypt share in any of the blame for lives that were lost that could have been saved if these doctors had been allowed in?

Do you think Egypt is right about not letting the doctors in to help the wounded?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Egypt are as much to blame for the humanitarian faux pas as israel are for the shelling

remember though there is no love lost between hamas and egypt - when fatah were in power at least the border was open , but when hamas ran fatah out the border slammed shut -

i must ask , why does everyone want to keep the gaza ghetto as it is?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Good question. I have said many times that there are hidden forces driving this crisis and Egypt is one of them. However, notice how the world community is real silent on Egypt's role in all of this debacle.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Reckon nobody cares if there are doctors in Gaza or not by the response.

Where are all those people who feel sorry for the injured people?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Egypt has it's part of the blame, I think they are upset since they helped with the agreement. Sice it was not honoured "it is irelevant who broke it"
then they decided to close the borders.One of the reasons of why Egypt will not let anyone in is because of the broken agreement.I guess they don't want to deal with either side anymore.The doctors could of helped out, their importance is crucial.Maybe if there were more doctors who knows, maybe the body count would not be so high.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by pepsi78]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
when fatah were in power at least the border was open , but when hamas ran fatah out the border slammed shut -

i must ask , why does everyone want to keep the gaza ghetto as it is?

Good question. It makes me wonder why they were not keeping Gaza as a ghetto when Fatah was in charge but as soon as Hamas took over they did. Same citizens, different group in power and Egypt wants as far away from them as possible.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Honestly I would imagine a shortage of anesthesiologists is the least of their worries. 75% of Gaza has no power. Much of it has no good water. The hospitals are overflowing, the morgues are overflowing. They are running out of food, and if their kids are buried under rubble they can't call 911, they have to beg their neighbors for assistance.

It is disgusting. Half of America has no pity on them at all. Most Americans would freak out if they lost their tv/internet for 3 days, but they can read stories about Gaza and think "oh well they deserve it". Wonder how they would feel if they had to carry their own dying toddlers to the hospital, no help, no "professionals" to make the business sterile and less traumatic, hands on blood and death.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
You would think that of all the people allowed in it would be doctors. As jam321 said, these doctors know what they getting to. They go willingly.

I think that is so hard to determine who the Hamas members are that they (Israel and Egypt) would be prepared to let everyone die to eradicate Hamas. (Dare I say it - that is genocide).

Also the Israelis are keeping international journos out of Gaza, so why not go one step further and not allow doctors who can spill the beans?
They are not being kept out because they could be killed...rather because of what they may discover.

take care all
res

[edit on 6-1-2009 by resistancia]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Posted wrong link.

Here is link to proper source

www.iht.com...

Sorry for the mistake.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Honestly I would imagine a shortage of anesthesiologists is the least of their worries

They never stated what kind of doctors the other ones were. But even an anesthesiologists is bound to have some basic medical knowledge that could help save lives.

I agree that Gaza has a lot of problems to be worried about.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
i did read this a few days ago and it was also picked up or first reported by the BBC.

Egypt has blamed Hamas for not letting hundreds of Palestinians wounded by Israeli air strikes to leave the Gaza Strip for treatment, with dozens of empty ambulances waiting on the border

Egypt says Hamas not allowing wounded to leave Gaza

jam321 "However, notice how the world community is real silent on Egypt's role in all of this debacle"

I think that there is quite a bit of reporting regarding egypt.. i have been reading about it in the newspapers

eg

Rob ert Fisk: The rotten state of Egypt is too powerless and corrupt to act

I grew up in a warzone and to this day when i hear a loud bang i still duck.

From a young age i was very aware of the use of propaganda and for this reason i read from many sources and still between the lines.

Children are getting hurt and dying and it makes me ill. I think it is wrong that the children can not be evacuated and are being used by barbarians to hide behind,

The war is evidently a very emotive subject and thus threads on here do go haywire.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
controlling the flow of doctors entering the conlfict zone,picking and choosing whom enters,very strange.
if you know your stuff the ais have thouroughly infiltrated the medical services,i suspect there only letting in ai doctors either to cover up whats occuring or to let people die whilst pretending to treat them.

isnt denying humanitarian aid to civilians a breaching of the geneva convention?,war crimes?,how many times can isreal break the law and get away with it?,wheres the protest from the red cross?,from the un?,there all silent when it comes to isreal,but should another nation such as pre war iraq do it by god theres an outrage!!
me thinks the law is being used to manipulate the world.on one hand to bad mouth certain nations you want to justify starting a war on such as iran or korea,on the other hand ignoring it for the nations who are ai packed and causing wars and depopulation.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladysharrowandherbarrow
i did read this a few days ago and it was also picked up or first reported by the BBC.

Egypt has blamed Hamas for not letting hundreds of Palestinians wounded by Israeli air strikes to leave the Gaza Strip for treatment, with dozens of empty ambulances waiting on the border

Egypt says Hamas not allowing wounded to leave Gaza

jam321 "However, notice how the world community is real silent on Egypt's role in all of this debacle"

I think that there is quite a bit of reporting regarding egypt.. i have been reading about it in the newspapers

eg

Rob ert Fisk: The rotten state of Egypt is too powerless and corrupt to act

its pretty damn obvious the palastineans are being ethnicly cleansed,civilians being killed on purpose,nothing will be done,all conflicts around the world in which civilians are targerted is now ignored or vetoed.
somalia,darfur,tibet,congo,iraq and so on.

how many civilian targeting death sqauds does it take for the world to realise civialians have been purposfuly targety for so long?

[edit on 6-1-2009 by welivefortheson]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Obstetrician Jemilah Mahmood, the president of Mercy Malaysia, said her group worked with the Egyptian Red Crescent to transfer about $100,000 worth of medical supplies to Gaza on Monday and planned to send another shipment next week.

But while supplies can get through, Mahmood said neither she nor her colleagues were allowed to cross.

www.iht.com...

According to this article (for whatever its worth), supplies are getting through. But who is intercepting them? Where are the supplies going?

And I cant understand why doctors are not allowed thru. I mean, maybe they worry for their safety, but these doctors in these organizations know the dangers and still want to risk their life to help. *shrug*

[edit on 1/6/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

not quite sure why you quoted my whole post? can you explain as i am a little confused

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Obstetrician Jemilah Mahmood, the president of Mercy Malaysia, said her group worked with the Egyptian Red Crescent to transfer about $100,000 worth of medical supplies to Gaza on Monday and planned to send another shipment next week.

But while supplies can get through, Mahmood said neither she nor her colleagues were allowed to cross.

www.iht.com...

According to this article (for whatever its worth), supplies are getting through. But who is intercepting them? Where are the supplies going?

precisly,something and i know what, is attempting to cull the palestinians,or rather humans.

denial of supplies to palestine is a long running theme,thyeve cut off thier water and electricity for years,basic essentials such as food and medicine,even denying the abilty to dispose of household waste.
the crazies in isreal want them out,they want the holy land forthemselves at the cost of mass murder and genocide,how godly of them.
its the end times agenda,a fatal religious war in the holy land that spreads to the rest of the world.
its not prophecy its intentful,it can be stopped if compassion and logic is used,the end times is the reigning of the anti christ,do we want that?,cos thats whats happening,the evil is winning.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I think the way this whole thing is being handled is an utter shame. From start to finish.

It is absolutely inhumane the way resources are being denied the civilian population, regardless what anyone's opinion is of Hamas.

It isnt just Egypt that is behaving shamefully, it is any country that is putting politics ahead of the suffering of innocents but not demanding that aid be allowed in NOW.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ladysharrowandherbarrow

More quotes from that article:

www.smh.com.au...

"No one has come in, we don't know why they're closed on the other side," said a senior border security official. Several plane- and truck-loads of aid are also waiting to be allowed into the Gaza Strip, a security official said.

"The wounded are barred from crossing" into Egypt, Foreign Minister Ahmed Abul Gheit said in Cairo, blaming "those who control Gaza. We are waiting for the wounded to cross."

In the divided town of Rafah, the road leading to the border crossing was lined with 20 riot police vehicles, with 40 ambulances and several pick-ups full of medicine waiting to cross into Gaza.

A security official said that an Egyptian plane with 50 doctors on board as well as medical supplies had arrived in nearby El-Arish. Two Qatari aircraft carrying 50 tonnes of medical supplies were waiting at the same airport.

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has also ordered three planeloads of medical aid to the Gaza Strip via Egypt, MENA said, and offered to airlift the wounded.

Israel's arch foe Iran has also said it is sending planeloads of food to Cairo to be taken by the Egyptian Red Crescent to Gaza.

Guess this is positive news in a storm of horrible news. Hopefully they (the doctors) and the supplies will cross from Egypt into Gaza and help all the innocent people.

Looks like conflicting stories. One story says "doctors are not allowed thru". The other story says "there are tons of doctors waiting to be let in".

THIS is why I cant believe any story told by anyone. Who the heck knows what is truth or not. *sigh*

top topics

join