It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truce To Gaza Is Coming Fast? - Many News!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Armed UN presence makes sense. UN was the one which sanctioned the partition and had a HUGE hand in creating the mess. Now that the SHTF, i think they need to do something to fix it especially considering that Israel or America is not going to do anything to assist the palestinian cause.

Who gives a crap if hamas protests or israel protests, the mess has been created by the UN and it should be the one to clean up after itself and pull both parties in line in order to save innocent lives.

Oh and i dont understand why the Veto still exists. It has caused nothing but trouble. It should be abolished - if not then the countries with vested interest in a conflict should not be allowed the right to vote and use the veto power.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
An article from a retired General in the Canadian Forces puiblished today in the Globe and Mail.

What is the UN waiting for? Deploy a strong force to Gaza

On their own, Israel and Hamas are doomed to a perpetual state of war no matter how much international diplomatic horsepower is applied to resolving the conflict. But there is a solution that the world has been adroitly avoiding for 40 years.

The Security Council needs to show some rare backbone and authorize a strong UN force under the UN Charter's Chapter 7, which authorizes the use of deadly force as necessary, and deploy it within the Gaza Strip, taking on the responsibility to provide the security to which Israel is entitled.

The oft-expressed idea of putting international monitors into the Gaza Strip to control smuggling and the firing of rockets is ludicrous: Hamas would run rings around any unarmed outsiders whose only mandate was to "observe and report."

It's an idea that may have some merit, except I don't see HAMAS taking kindly to it and could see many small arms battles between the UN force and HAMAS if this solution is used.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by GAOTU789]

I have read elsewhere that NATO soldiers are not exactly as honorable as RoboCop. I read that many of them engaged in crimes like theft, beatings, extortion and rape as well as murders for hire. There are corruption issues as well like the oil for food deal.

I would imagine that as the Israeli population grows the land allotted to the Palestinians shrinks. The simple reality is that land is a resource as well as energy. The Israelis are the dominant group and that simply squeezes the Palestinians.

I have trouble visualizing a lasting solution to this and it seems that the NATO peace keeper idea is better than nothing. Naturally the Israelis can't police the other side and after a while we would wind up to the sea.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Alpha_Magnum]

[edit on 7-1-2009 by Alpha_Magnum]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

A strong UN force with the authorization to use force is an excellent idea. That would definitely show that the UN has a backbone. The only problem then would be finding countries with the backbone to supply those troops to the UN force.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You have a point there, Jam.

But if every arab nations around are welcoming palestinian for exile, I don't think Israelis will restraint themself. They will push stronger for the exodus of Palestinians.

Jordan went on civil war almost 40 years ago, Lebanon is still debased since exodus of Palestinians.

What appears to be a lack of compassion maybe some self protection for states like Egypt.

On the other hand.

It is quite a nonsense, or cheap, or cocky for the US administration to support without any reserve the actual behavior of Israeli government, killing and bombing arabs and in the sametime begging Arab countries for 300 Bl $ to support US economy, wich in return support Israel economy and army.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Remember the "7 day war"....tomorrow is day # 7. An optimum date to mop up military operations and take the initiative to call for a truce or cease fire for humanitarian reasons.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

possibly those sympathetic with the Israelis may lead the way as far as UN peace keepers go.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Temporary truce will only make it worse, they need to get it over with this time anyway possible.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

A strong UN force with the authorization to use force is an excellent idea. That would definitely show that the UN has a backbone. The only problem then would be finding countries with the backbone to supply those troops to the UN force.

I know the UN could volunteer the services of the IDF since they are close by!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
After sleeping for a while... Situation Check:

Peres: We don't want Gaza Strip cease-fire, but cease of terror

"We are not looking for a cease-fire, but a cease of terror," said Peres, adding that Israel is carefully reviewing the cease-fire plan outlined by Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

www.haaretz.com...

Amid int'l pressure, Security Cabinet mulls expanding op

Despite increasing international pressure on Israel to withdraw its troops, a senior official confirmed that plans had been drawn up to move troops into the south as well.

www.jpost.com...

Doesnt look Israel is accepting truce...

IDF battles Palestinian gunmen throughout Gaza

www.haaretz.com...

But they are giving very strange, never before seen announcement...

IDF: Gaza to see noontime pause in fighting

www.ynetnews.com...

... Looks like real truce is about 50-50 now. Lets wait.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Something what really is opposing truce to Gaza... Why Arab nations are pushed to their edge:

- Why Arabs are profiting from this war?

Crude fluctuates; overall prices up
Wed, 07 Jan 2009 09:58:16 GMT
www.presstv.ir...

- "So let those poor Palestinians die... We need those dollars now!"

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Yes, but no thanks!

Israel 'positive' but non-committal about Egyptian truce

JERUSALEM, Jan 7 (Reuters) - Israel said on Wednesday it viewed "positively" talks with Egypt over a proposal to halt fighting in the Gaza Strip but the Jewish state stopped short of accepting a ceasefire.

www.alertnet.org...

Thats it then... War continues?

[edit on 7-1-2009 by JanusFIN]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I would imagine that as the Israeli population grows the land allotted to the Palestinians shrinks. The simple reality is that land is a resource as well as energy. The Israelis are the dominant group and that simply squeezes the Palestinians.
reply to post by Alpha_Magnum

I read somewhere recently that the Israeli Arab population within Israel is growing very fast . Perhaps change will occur from within .
Perhaps ,perhaps , perhaps !

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Truce is back?

Israel: We'll accept Gaza truce if it stops Hamas terror

www.haaretz.com...

Sarkozy: Israel, Palestinians accepted Egypt-led truce plan

www.ynetnews.com...

Sarkozy: Israel accepts Gaza truce

english.aljazeera.net...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
LEFT HAND DOESNT KNOW, WHAT RIGHT HAND DOES!

Change the man... Where is Solana?

Sarkozy sparks confusion on Gaza truce plan

PARIS, Jan 7 (Reuters) - French President Nicolas Sarkozy said on Wednesday Israel had accepted an Egyptian truce plan for Gaza, but his office later said he was simply welcoming Israel's previously announced reaction to the proposal.

www.alertnet.org...

He is there to solve, not to confuse... "BUT I WANT MY NOBEL TOO!!!"

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join