It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advancements in Apartment-based Culinary Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hi all you Cooking and Culinary fans...

Just an update on the Art of Microwaving.

I have a device in my study for heating coffee, soups, fish and washcloths.

The Stylish but affordable Red Emerson MW8999RD:

I got a pretty good deal, but discovered they come in different height openings. Turned out my coffee cup is too tall to fit in the door by about 3 mm.

Well I'm proud to say today I figured out how to get my coffee cup in there. Yay. I just turn it sideways and put it in then stand it up and it just makes it.

Since this is about the culinary art, what are some people's favorite things to microwave?

Mine is Salmon. It comes in plastic air tight packages and when done the package blows up and makes a nice pop, signaling that it's ready to eat. How great is that?

My favorite recipe is Seasoned Shrimp. Here's the recipe:

1. Large bag of uncooked shrimp, jumbo;
2. Old Bay Seasoning;
3. Garlic powder;
4. Spring water (Deer Park).

Into a large plastic container with a lid, empty the frozen shrimp. Add a lot of Old Bay seasoning and a quarter bottle of water.

Heat for 6 minutes.

Remove and stir and add garlic powder

Heat for 3 minutes, but here's the secret. Don't cook them completely. The shrimps turn from a pale white to a nice orangish color when done.

Then get some large freeze baggies and put about 20 shrimp in each one. Seal and leave on the counter overnight to cool, then refrigerate. Makes five dinners.

When ready to eat, just put the partially cooked shrimp in the baggie into the microwave and heat for 1.5 minutes (90 sec). This sterilizes them and finishes cooking.

To serve just cut off the top of the freezer bag and eat.

Next up:
How to Freeze and serve Watermelon

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
They have these new bagged veggies that come in special steamer bags for microwave cooking. Just put the bag in, nuke, and open the bag for steamed veggies.

I don't eat the veggies alone, but it's a great way to add cooked veggies to other dishes, without the hassle of thawing, etc.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01

Well I'm proud to say today I figured out how to get my coffee cup in there. Yay. I just turn it sideways and put it in then stand it up and it just makes it.

So how do you keep from dumping the contents? You put it in empty?

I'm going to have to try that shrimp one. That sounds really good. The only thing I ever use a microwave for is reheating leftovers. I don't even microwave popcorn. I'm a Whirley Pop guy.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I like poached eggs in the microwave.

Here is how to do it:

1. get yourself a small microwaveable bowl. (them metal ones just don't like the microwave for some reason don't ask me why.)

2. put a modest amount of water inside that bowl. (make sure it's modest, don't go for exhibitionist amounts of water cause it's rude and there may be children present.)

3. Crack an egg carefully into the water and poke the yoke with a tooth pick or a fork. (cause stabbing things is fun)

4. Place bowl into microwave. (remove any metallic objects as microwaves and metal don't like each other, there is a peace treaty being drawn up in the UN but it doesn't look like it will pass.)

5. Microwave on high 30 seconds or less at a time carefully checking egg each time to ensure that it doesn't explode. (while fun to watch eggs explode in the microwave, it does leave an awful mess to clean up latter, which is no fun.)

Eventually you will see the egg poach in the microwave, once finished use a slotted spoon or other appropriately sized concave object to remove from the microwave, blot with a paper towel (a maxi pad will do in a pinch but your girlfriend may not appreciate it)

Enjoy

[edit: bowl not bowel, while a bowel is of course microwaveable it's not recommended for use in cooking]

[edit on 1/9/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Well ok, but personally I wouldn't advocate putting your bowels in the microwave.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

You know that is a design flaw. I could rig up a complex siphon system involving surgical tubing to run from the coffee pot on top. (gets out slide rule).

I'll add that to version 2.0. *(to be serious that was a bit of a 'are you paying attention joke. Taking the lid off makes it work.

I pondered using a router to shave off some mm, but after reviewing the patent:

Alladdin patent
PDF

...I determined the outer wall on the bottom of the cup was too thin.

Another thing that's fun to MW is broccoli. But I found an alternate method!

Instead of spending all that energy microwaving the tough skinned, but nutritious vegetable - just baggie it up and freeze it. The freezing process breaks down the tough outer celulose and then just heating in a cup of hot water provides tender veggies.(showing the value of nerd R&D in culinary science.
)

To Gazrock: see above. Pre-bagged veggies can be expensive, but efficient for those who live alone.

To WYK:
You are wearing appropriate PPE during this procedure, correct?

Thanks for the input,

-B

I'm surprise no one asked about MW wash clothes...

[edit on 1/9/2009 by Badge01]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
I'm surprise no one asked about MW wash clothes...

See, I did notice that but in my head iwas thinking "dish cloths". Just figured it was a sterilization thing.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

That was what I was thinking too. I heat up a wet dish rag and use that to clean the microwave. The steam softens up the stuck on stuff (like exploded eggs) and the hot rag allows you to clean the microwave with ease.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
While I do use steam softening and sterilization of things like your tooth brush (another great innovation - do not put the actual tooth brush in the MW - just nearly boil water for that.)...for washclothes, consider a refreshing after-dinner hot facial towel. (think barber shop).

Thus, with proper treatment the clever nerd rarely has to leave their desk chair.

top topics

join