It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the Bible and Qur'an suppose to coexist?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ps1klon3Can you prove, or show evidence of God and Allah being one and the same outside of Allah mean The God or The One God, however it translates?

Well if you are Muslim the truth is apparent; their testimant of faith is clear enough:

"I bear witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is His servant and messenger."

I suspect the Christians were being addressed indirectly there, as they view the Christians as polytheists (worshipping multiple Gods).

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ps1klon3

For posterity (and to afford a balanced view) I think its fair this quote should be added to the discussion.
It could be used to describe either book and makes some astute points about sociopathic quotes and instructions employed in both works of literature:

"The bible is a blueprint of in-group morality,complete with instructions for genocide,enslavement of out groups,and world domination.
But the bible is not evil by virtue of its objectives or even its glorification of murder,cruelty and rape.
Many ancient works do that-the Iliad, the Icelandic sagas, the tales of the ancient Syrians and the inscriptions of the ancient Mayans,for example.
But noone is selling the Iliad as a foundation for morality.
Therein lies the problem."
John Hartung

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

For posterity (and to afford a balanced view) I think its fair this quote should be added to the discussion.
It could be used to describe either book and makes some astute points about sociopathic quotes and instructions employed in both works of literature:

"The bible is a blueprint of in-group morality,complete with instructions for genocide,enslavement of out groups,and world domination.
But the bible is not evil by virtue of its objectives or even its glorification of murder,cruelty and rape.
Many ancient works do that-the Iliad, the Icelandic sagas, the tales of the ancient Syrians and the inscriptions of the ancient Mayans,for example.
But noone is selling the Iliad as a foundation for morality.
Therein lies the problem."
John Hartung

I think the basis for "Selling" the Bible as a "Foundation of morality" and not the Iliad lies with these numbers:
New Testament - ~25,000 manuscripts
Iliad - 643

The "Iliad" also contains 764 disputed lines of text. Thats a little more than 5% of the text.
The "New Testament" has only 40, most of which are grammar and cultural disputes.
Thats the only thing I can come up with in regards as to why the Bible is the "Foundation of Morality" as opposed to the "Iliad." I also do not recall where the Bible states anything about instructions for genocide, enslavement, or world domination. The Qur'an perhaps? I dont know much about the Qur'an but it seems more that that quote isnt necesarily aimed at Christian faith/belief. Anybody else have anything in regards to this?

Also, can somebody point out where in the Bible or the Qur'an it "glorifies" murder, cruelty, and rape?

[edit on 6-1-2009 by ps1klon3]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Dunno if this will make any sense, but go with me for just a while if you please.....

Modern times means governments, trying to control the mass in a reasonable way for all.
We learn from history, events are translated into laws, backdoors and exceptions creating more laws. Nowadays we need lawyers to support us cause things got too complex.

In my opinion, and i'm no expert, in ancient times 'holy men' of many different religion took the same responsability of controlling the mass. A civil way to make people live together....
If you look at those books, as a history book, and keep adding lines (read laws) as an evolving means to adapt to new situations through time and casual events, that those books have become the same cluster of stories/laws as we have nowadays ?

All countries have different laws, way too many for us to comprehend.
Maybe what ment to be 'a good manual' for all mankind has grown out of proportion and is now missing it's real purpose ? Both 'modern laws' and the 'holy books' ?

Now i'm just suggesting out loud, let me know if it holds any sense

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Emipie

Makes sense. Im going more for the approach of 2 things. The first, there will always be something lost in translation. The second, if you look at high school for instance. Algebra taught from a certain version of an Algebra I book in 2000 will be different than an Algebra I book in 2008. By either book, you still learn Algebra right?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ps1klon3 I also do not recall where the Bible states anything about instructions for genocide, enslavement, or world domination.

Uhhh...ever cracked open a copy of the Old Testiment? Plenty of slavery and genocide there. Kill them all type stuff...babies...elderly...helpless women...except keep the virgins for your "own use" type stuff.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Sorry, should have made my statement better. I meant where are the instructions. The only thing I can recall is stories of it happening but one particular verse comes to mind:

"Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing - to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"
- Abraham (Gen 18:23-25)

It says "Far be it from you!" which my translation of that is "Dont do it."

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Because there is also a matter of politics involved. When one side tries to take over the land of the other, or invades it, it breaks a peace agreement between any of the parties.

You haven't heard of a Christian suicide bomber, but you have heard of a Christian bomber, right?

[edit on Tue Jan 6th 2009 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ps1klon3
Can you prove, or show evidence of God and Allah being one and the same outside of Allah mean The God or The One God, however it translates?

This question wasn't directed to me but I'll answer it anyway.

The Quran mentions that God/Allah is the same one that spoke to Moses, Jesus, Noah, Abaraham, Isaac, Ismael, and so on. In Aramaic and Hebrew They use the word "Ellah" as a word for God, and Arabic uses "Allah." Since all three languages are Semetic, they share an almost exact dialect.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ps1klon3
I will refer you to this website:
www.answering-islam.org...

If you're using that website as your guide to Islam, then it's about time you look for one that is written by a real Muslim, and not someone who has an agenda against Islam or Muslims.

A Muslim can trust that site to teach a Christian about Islam as much as a Christian can trust this site to teach a Muslim about Christianity www.answering-christianity.org...

Both sites are biased and have no problem posting misleading info.

[edit on Tue Jan 6th 2009 by DJMessiah]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join