It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It True Humans Have Reached The Brink Of Our Evolution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
It has previously been stated that scientists now believe us humans have no more room for evolution. We have reached the end of our change and will no longer have the need to mutate or adapt. I dont agree. I believe that yes, we may well have possibly reached the end of our natural evolution pattern, if there is such a thing. But I don't think human's can ever fully feel satisfied with themselves, and strive to become stronger and better beings. We are constantly mutating ourselves, rather than occurring evolution naturally we are resorting to things such as plastic surgery and technology in a constant battle to become ' the best that we can possibly be'. But where do we draw the line? Do we know when to stop? What will we become? Who will we become? Are we losing everything that's truly human, and simply seeing it as advancing our senses and bodies? It is scary what we have been able to achieve in a small amount of time, and wonder what we will all transform into in the years to come... Will we live 200 years instead of around 80.. due to medical advances? Will we lose all humanity and compassion? Any views on this topic please do post.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Who are these scientist you speak of? The only info I have found regarding if we have reached the end of our evolution is from some far out fringe religous groups and essays put online by some college students. I think that most scientist agree that we are still evolving and will be for sometime if not indefinitely.

A comprehensive scan of the human genome finds that hundreds of our genes have undergone positive natural selection during the past 10,000 years of human evolution.

www.livescience.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The human brain may still be evolving. So suggests new research that tracked changes in two genes thought to help regulate brain growth, changes that appeared well after the rise of modern humans 200,000 years ago.

www.livescience.com...

[edit on 1/6/2009 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkOutsideTheBox-x

well as evolution has NO pinacle of achievment or final goal in mind we are and forver will until extinction continue to evolve

id love to hear from these many scientists, got any names or quotes?

we have slowed our evolutionary process by building a false enviroment for our selves but it certainly hasnt stopped

and plastic surgery has nothing to do with anything, getting a nose job doesnt alter your chromosones, you may have a boob job to get DD's but if the chromosones your passing on say A cup then thats whats bieng passed on

[edit on 6/1/09 by noobfun]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkOutsideTheBox-x

Evolution as Darwin meant is about a species (or a group) adapting to changing environments via natural selection of those qualities that are needed. More and more Homo Sapiens Sapiens has been changing his environment; sleeping in caves, using clothing and using/producing fire does not seem so technological advanced yet it means that we don't need furs or strong jaws to chew raw meat.

I think that we will more and more tinker with the human body and animal body too (plastic surgery to make pets more beautiful already exists!). Where that will lead us, who is to say....

[edit on 6-1-2009 by QueenofWeird]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Sorry I think I have been misleading on the real message of my thread... of course I know we will forever be changing as evolution is infinite.. what i meant and i apologise again.. is not actual physical evolution.. but the emotional and phsycological changes we will occur due to our culture today.. and the way we are now using technology to overcome all problems...and how of course not from birth but throughout our lives we will become more powerful than ever and what will happen then?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Google Video Link

The structure of society we have become accustomed too , is only about 5,000 years old . This is a very short time considering.
A lot of what we are , or should i say , what we are adapted for , is only something we watch on wildlife documentaries now.

******************** video above *****************************
I saw an interesting documentary which claimed that the increased social complexity resulting from living in larger and larger communities , may have resulted in our brain size increasing.
They were able to trace a mutation in one of the genes thought
responsible for brain size , back 5000 years +/- ...around the time that "civilisation".... began and social complexity increased e.g trade etc.

100 to 150 people seemed to be some "natural" limit on the numbers of people in tribes ...later hamlets/villages etc .
If i`m not incorrect , i believe that if you were to make a list of everyone you know, it would not exceed this number.
Unless of course you are a 14 year old girl on Face Book .

top topics

join