It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Benjamin Netanyahu's nephew serves prison term for pacifism.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Telegraph.co.uk< br />
This happened in 2003 and I can't find any update, yet. But, I thought it is relevant because of the gaza assault.
I'm sure there are MANY more refuseniks because of the civilian population being pinned down there.

A nephew of Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel's finance minister and former prime minister, faces a three-year prison sentence for refusing to serve in the army.
Jonathan Ben-Artzi, 19, has served seven months in a military jail after being given consecutive sentences of up to 31 days at a time. Army officials are now summoning him to appear at a court martial, which has harsher sentencing powers, on Tuesday......

Jonathan Ben-Artzi is a 'refusenik' as are many others.
There is no draft.
ALL able-bodied men and women are forced to serve in the army, unless they are in orthodox religious schools.
Many refuse because of abuse of civilians, even children.
Refusenik Yonatan Shapira; targeting civilians;

Mr. Ben-Artzi said;

"Because of my beliefs, my own country is going to imprison me, in defiance of international laws, basic moral values and fundamental human rights," Mr Ben-Artzi said in a statement to the Israeli Defence Force.

The case has become a cause celebre in Israel because Mr Netanyahu's wife, Sara, is Mr Ben-Artzi's aunt and it may set a legal precedent regarding an individual's right to be exempted from military service in Israel.
Mr Ben-Artzi's lawyers plan to plead for his release on the grounds that he is a conscientious objector and should be exempt from compulsory military duty.

Maybe, this has changed the way exemptions are classified and allow for more dialogue.
Does anyone have an update on this?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
now that guy is a true israeli hero!

for once someone standing up for traditional values and human decency!

I will give any and all support to this man that I possibly can

Could someone please help find a email address or a phone # where we can become annoying and harass them to let him go?

new topics

join