It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Play's War Video Sparks Outrage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Play's War Video Sparks Outrage

www.cambridge-news.co.uk

Jewish community leaders in Cambridge (England) are up in arms after footage of Israeli military strikes was used in a college play.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

[edit on 6/1/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
So the teacher, who is Jewish, shows a video of war in the Middle East which contained, though not exclusively, Israeli attacks on Palestine, has now been branded anti-Jewish by the Jewish community?!

While I agree that a school play is probably not the best place for such a video (at least without prior warning/notice) I fail to see where he is being anti-Jewish?!

www.cambridge-news.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6/1/2009 by skibtz]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

havent you seen the new Trend?
if your Jewish and you say or do anything against Israel
your a anti semetic Jew

Israel cant hind their actions just like Hamas never could hide its actions.

edit to add:
they going to stop University students from protesting now aswell?

[edit on 6-1-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by skibtz

Well they can limit where they protest. So I hope the School kicks these people out or fires them as they have the Right to do. A school has the Right to decide what is acceptable in it's hallways and classrooms as well as any of its activities and everyone must abide by the rules or you are free to go...

I would say it's time to go for some one...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

i know that alot of what you say is true, but it is essentially fascist propaganda at the same time

because you clearly support the right of a "University" to limit free speech in certain areas

i know you didnt say you did but your context clues insinuated it directly

well a university that limits freespeech anywhere, is a JOKE of a "higher learning institution" no matter which way you try to spin it

its CONTROL over information and its pure EVIL

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
Well they can limit where they protest. So I hope the School kicks these people out or fires them as they have the Right to do. A school has the Right to decide what is acceptable in it's hallways and classrooms as well as any of its activities and everyone must abide by the rules or you are free to go...

Wow. Noting the current climate on ATS, I really hate to use these words and I apologize in advance, but this seems to be a disproportionate response.

So the Jewish director decides to show footage of Israeli military maneuvers against Arabs following a play depicting an unrelated Jewish plight, and "it's time for [him] to go"? No "let's talk it over", discuss the true nature of the video (which is presently in the he-said, she-said stage), hold a meeting between each side? Just fire him? Man, oh man, am I glad people like you aren't involved in diplomacy. Oh, wait...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

As a Uni Student and like many others i say
HA. thankfully our unis in England arent run by facists
and we have a Voice

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

How can they stop the students from protesting?

This is a pretty volatile subject so restricting people from voicing their opinion is going to cause more trouble than its worth.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

As mentioned already, here in the UK students have voices and will have no problems protesting.

I doubt that they will be protesting in the halls and classrooms though - hardly an inspiring protest if no one notices

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

Spot on.

A way over the top reaction and one that is, on the face of it, quite hostile!

The teacher is doing nothing but pointing out the senslessness of it all.

Good on him and all others that have the courage to make a stand.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by skibtz

So the play is about Jews being forced to move from where they live.

And the Jewish director decided it would be ironic to show Israeli Tanks doing the same thing to Palestinians.

What's wrong with this? I just don't see where the problem is.

Why is it that anytime someone is critical of Israel they are called anti-jew?

I'm so sick and tired of hearing that phrase. Who cares what you are for or against... let the facts speak for themselves.

Fact 1. The fact that a people suffered under the threat of genocide and removed from their land does not give them the right to act with impunity in the future.

Fact 2. Those who have been oppressed, most often become oppressors themselves.

If you can't show the current events in school , then you shouldn't be showing fiddler on the roof either. Because they are both speaking about ethnic peoples who are forcibly removed from their land. If there is a problem with showing this video then I would like to know what it is.

The stage has never been a place which is Politically Correct. It has always been the place where the outspoken express their views, regardless of social acceptance. Have you ever been to an authentic shakespeare Theatre? Be prepared to be offended. It's just how it's done.

So what are the actual issues here, except that the actions of this director were against your political beliefs?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Heh... looks like we can see the schools perspective from their statement...

Linda Sinclair, college principal, said Mr Fredman had directed student productions that raised awareness of political and moral issues "with considerable success and with the college's full support".

She said the video montage "did not focus solely on Israeli air strikes", but "showed a variety of scenes from Middle Eastern conflicts".

She added: "I sincerely regret the fact the production caused offence to the family of one of our students."

yep... they don't take issue with it... and make pains to say that only one family of one of their students took issue with it.

As I suspected.

That being said, methinks the headline is a bit misleading. It lead to me think many people took issue with this instead of the family of one student.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

[edit on 6-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

new topics

top topics

join