It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hope is a meaningless emotion.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
"Hope is a meaningless emotion because its fruits are always in the future and, by definition, never in the NOW.

Hope is like riding a carousel horse; no matter how fast you go you never get closer to the one in front. The idea, however, is to persuade you to stay on the horse, despite the evitable disappointment, in the 'hope' that things will change. But they don't because the very system is designed to prevent it."
- David Icke

Source

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Hope isnt an emotion, it is more like wishful thinking. It is a means to set goals for the future, something better than the present has to offer. Hope is a very important factor in survivalism. When everything seems to be lost all you have left is hope, hope that tomorrow will be a better day.

I hope you can see that hope is important for mankind.

Edit: David Icke is a hopeless lizardman.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Waldy]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by IceColdPro

That seems to contradict another of his quotes....

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground.
David Icke

www.brainyquote.com...

What is the point of holding your ground if you the future holds no hope?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

The Bible says that people with out hope are a people of sorrow. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18) Hope is necessary to stay the course, to dream that there is more, to invent things and have new ideas - the hope that newness is possible, that there are answers, easier/better ways...

and a hope that all of this here on Earth isn't for nought.

Hope is a wish or desire accompanied by confident expectation of its fulfillment.

being certain of what we do not see....

then hope is necessary for faith - and faith, well, that surely is of the utmost importance.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
... You mean Obahope is meaningless too?

Cant be, no, cant be, no cant be, no, Cant be, no, cant be, no cant be, NO!

"What? Bombs? Where, In Gaza?" ... I cant hear nothing ...

Thats the ssssccchhhhhhange!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Change the word “hope “to “desire“in D.I quote and I will agree.
It is not hope that is meaningless but desire.

Kacou.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
i think what he is trying to say is for people to stop hoping that things will get better and to do something about it

its basically the same thing as saying, black people are always complaining about the white man, but instead of complain why dont they do something for themselves about it like becoming richer or more prestigiuos then the average white man instead of laying down taking the easy way out and blaming it on some one else so that they dont have to take responsibility

except what he says is that people should stop hoping that things will just get better and say "well things arent getting better because of this president, but if i hope that this president will do better, then it will get better." Instead they should do something instead of sitting around and hoping. Obviously hope is an important in the structure of when you are trying to achieve or survive something but it should not be the foundation of your actions.

It s like he says hope is like being on a carousel, did you catch that HOPE IS LIKE BEING ON A CAROUSEL, "being" is the hope, action towards that hope is what gets you to the front, no one ever got anywhere by just being you have to do something.

this is a smart thing to say, though i have to admit the way in which he portrayed it may be confusing to those who dont understand these things to well

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Hope is about never to give in.
I think he doesn’t use the right word. It is not hope to blame but desire. Desire in our life is the real disease. People follow they desire to the point where they need more desire as the contentment of the last desire is already fading a way.
Desire is like the ride in the carousel you will never fulfill all the desires that spring in you so never achieve true being.
Hope in contrary is the inner light guidance of your soul. You don’t know why you are hoping when all odds are against you.
This not like the carousel, hope is always there in you for your survival soul benefit.
The great mystery hijacked by all the religious people.
Kacou.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I think the Quantum world would disagree with that statement.

Considering you can see changes at a quantum level just by the minuscule things that over the centuries have been deemed as irrelevant or non-existent.

So does Ike then consider himself a nut who just holds his ground? Did he elaborate on this statement at all?
Edit: I'm just saying I like the statement and would consider it true of myself was just curious if there was an elaboration on it lol

Someone has hope so in return displays a positive attitude towards their peers. These peers then having had direct contact to a positive person also become positive for the day.

One man decides to buy his wife some flowers.
A woman decides to get her man some tickets to a game.
A boy decides to stick up for another boy that is always picked on.
A millionaire decides what the heck I like this person their down on their luck "here don't spend it all in one place" and gives someone 50,000 who in fact uses it to care for a family member who doesn't have enough money for the life saving surgery she needs for her son.

Hope has just literally saved a boys life.

Sounds like a pretty useless emotion to me.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

but your thinking of it the wrong way

Ike is warning about the engineered hope that is created by the elite

another thing dont you think that there is a missing link in the law of attraction idea, if it were totally true why havent things changed for the better the way everyone "hopes" it will

i say dont pretend to know the secrets of this law because the reason the elite are up there is because they know what the sheeple will never find out, the law's true power

and your not going to figure it out by watching a few videos or reading a compelling article on the web

it is too safely guarded

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I’ve got to disagree with you.
Hope is one of the three most important emotions humans live by.

Hope has made things happen.

Hope gives a better quality of life to the ill. The emotion/feeling of hope releases natural endorphins - in turn making the person feel better - feeling better leads to actually being better.

Hope is one of the three greatest things there are besides faith and love.

Hope relieves stress - we all know what a killer stress is.

Hope has changed worlds, changed lives, changed the world.

I could go on and on but Allan K. Chalmers sums it up best this way:

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

*P*E*A*C*E* and *HOPE*

[edit on 6-1-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Back then in the 80’s David Icke HOPED that some day more people will take him seriously.
If he didn’t have HOPE he wouldn’t have become what he is now.
Does David Icke shoot his leg?

Kacou

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

i think people are taking a wrong look at what Ike is trying to say:

when he says its meaningless, hes talking about the engineered hope in which everyone puts their faith in and in turn never gives out because its power lies in future hope constantly so nothing ever gets done

his statement is just saying that nothing gets fixed because people are to busy or "not-busy" hoping instead of doing something based on real hopes

i mean look at it people are hoping for Obama's change, but what hope is that, what change? Does he give a detailed description of how he is going to turn all USA around and take out all the corruption, violence, war, unemployment, and probelms in general?

or does he sit there and say "Change"
and everyone falls head over heels and says "we are hoping" for the change they know nothing about.

Its like my dad, i was talking about Obama and i was hinting that he was a bad guy and my dad says, "no that guy is good, hes going to change things, he s a good guy."

and i asked, "ok, what is he going to change, what are his policies?"

he couldnt even attempt to answer
and this has happened with almost every Obama supporter i talked to, the others just gave stupid excuses like

"hes black and white so hes going to unite the races" (so far theyve been more separated)

"well hes better then Bush" (oh and you know that because youve seen him as president before and you know exactly what hes going to do)

"Everyone likes him so he must be good" (yea i cant believe someone used this, and i just said to them, if you think that way then there is no hope for you)

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tankthinker
reply to post by Darthorious

but your thinking of it the wrong way

Ike is warning about the engineered hope that is created by the elite

another thing dont you think that there is a missing link in the law of attraction idea, if it were totally true why havent things changed for the better the way everyone "hopes" it will

i say dont pretend to know the secrets of this law because the reason the elite are up there is because they know what the sheeple will never find out, the law's true power

and your not going to figure it out by watching a few videos or reading a compelling article on the web

it is too safely guarded

OK I think we are on two different pages here (the whole perception and interpretation thing I'm guessing but I say what I have to say anyway maybe I'm missing a point lol)

Hope I agree in true form is useless and so is knowledge, it's how you apply it that determines weather it is useless or not. Only the person that applies it will be able to surpass knowing how to make a spark to building a fire place or multistage rocket propellant.

If you hope Obama is going to change something that's fine but the hope is misplaced into an entity you have no control over. Hope is the beginning of a natural cycle that leads to other things and just because you are not able to follow all the direct paths that branch from one piece of hope does not mean it doesn't exist.

I could say that space in itself is useless because it does nothing and is empty but by saying that I just completely killed hundreds of possibilities with in that space itself. Because of that I never look for the possibility that I could be completely missing something or misinterpreting what I precieve to be as nothing but emptiness. Where if I had hoped something was there I may have found it and realized there is a whole new dimension to it.

Ike's theory's whether people believe them or not is no matter as he had to have hoped to find something in his research in order to research the subjects he has. His hope to be correct about some items is misplaced in his mind that he is right when in fact until we can have 100% proof it will be hope that pushes the theories and his drive to come up with as much evidence as possible to prove his case.

Even today E=mc2 has come in direct conflict with some astronomical events and because of hope we find ways to prove the event is correct and E=mc2 is too. Even though just like Ike is is just hope until we can actually observe the events.

So maybe somewhere in my mess I stumbled across your interpretation of the quote I don't know but it's all good lol

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

reply to post by silo13

i think people are taking a wrong look at what Ike is trying to say:

when he says its meaningless, hes talking about the engineered hope in which everyone puts their faith in and in turn never gives out because its power lies in future hope constantly so nothing ever gets done

his statement is just saying that nothing gets fixed because people are to busy or "not-busy" hoping instead of doing something based on real hopes

i mean look at it people are hoping for Obama's change, but what hope is that, what change? Does he give a detailed description of how he is going to turn all USA around and take out all the corruption, violence, war, unemployment, and probelms in general?

or does he sit there and say "Change"
and everyone falls head over heels and says "we are hoping" for the change they know nothing about.

Its like my dad, i was talking about Obama and i was hinting that he was a bad guy and my dad says, "no that guy is good, hes going to change things, he s a good guy."

and i asked, "ok, what is he going to change, what are his policies?"

he couldnt even attempt to answer
and this has happened with almost every Obama supporter i talked to, the others just gave stupid excuses like

"hes black and white so hes going to unite the races" (so far theyve been more separated)

"well hes better then Bush" (oh and you know that because youve seen him as president before and you know exactly what hes going to do)

"Everyone likes him so he must be good" (yea i cant believe someone used this, and i just said to them, if you think that way then there is no hope for you)

Ah I get it the mis guided hope thing ya I agree hope in superiors is not always a good thing it often clouds the judgment by placing hope where it should never be placed, (out of your control)

In other words you hope he'll do a good job but he has no hope for the future so just rolls through the process like everyone else before him meanwhile people with hope realize they were stupid to place hope into someone that they have no influence with.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tankthinker

Thank you for the explanation.

It sheds a whole new light on it doesn’t it.

And in that I’d have to agree - because - hope does not exists on it’s own - you have to make hope work, you can’t just sit around waiting for it to happen.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." - Hebrews 11:1

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." - 1 Corinthians 13:13

Knowing that hope is an intangible thing, I can see how it may be quickly rejected along with other things like love, however it's very useful in application. It's a goal that we can strive towards that ultimately can result in success, it delivers patience when we feel anxious about things we cannot control, generates appreciation when rewards come from hope, and motivates us to encourage others to continue towards a positive path.

Hopelessness/depression on the other hand, is a serious medical condition which can lead to suicide, heart disease, or sedentary side-effects. Be wary of those who want to take your hope away, it can be a slow painful death.

Hope is a very meaningful emotion. That meaning is life.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Hope is not an emotion. It's a choice.

i think what he is trying to say is for people to stop hoping that things will get better and to do something about it

I think what he's trying to say is "I hate Obama! Please Join Me"!

As Karl said, what's the point of ANYTHING if you don't have hope?

Why have children?
Why work?
Why save money?
Why marry?

Without hope, we are hopeless...

Hope is like riding a carousel horse; no matter how fast you go you never get closer to the one in front. The idea, however, is to persuade you to stay on the horse, despite the evitable disappointment, in the 'hope' that things will change. But they don't because the very system is designed to prevent it." - David Icke

I would say to Mr. Icke, if you are riding a carousel to win a race or pass the other horses, you have to have something missing upstairs. People ride a carousel NOT to win a race or beat the other horses, but to relax, feel the wind in their hair and enjoy the ride. Not to be disappointed (evitable or inevitable) because they didn't "catch up " with the other horses.

What Icke is talking about is hoping against hope, which is to hope for something that you don't really think is very likely to happen (like catching up with the other horses on a carousel). And I submit that his opinion about what is and is not likely to happen is very different than mine and many other people's.

I will choose hope, thank you.

Once you choose hope, anything's possible. ~Christopher Reeve

Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence. ~Lin Yutang

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the great responses and interpretations.

I made the topic to hear your opinions and believe it or not, I do like Obama so I am not trying to be negative towards him (even though the source is Anti-Obama). I am in fact still giving him the benefit of the doubt that we will have some kind of change.

I found David Icke's above quote to be thought provoking and I just wanted to share it with you all.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
according to the ancient romans hope was the last evil in pandoras box. she shut the lid before hope could get out, while all the other evils of the world were let out.

i myself am not a hopeful person. either i have a logical reason to think something will happen or not. if it dosnt happen i must have miscalculated.
people who sit around hoping are really hurting themselves. dont hope... KNOW.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join