It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Garfield and the power of suggestion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I watched the Garfield movie on Saturday night. (no smart a** comments thanks...there wasnt much on to choose from!
)

Anyway, about half an hour after the movie ended...I wanted lasagne...bad. I was CRAVING it. I couldnt get the stuff out of my mind. All i wanted was lasagna.

So the next day, we went out for lunch and the only lasagna they had on the menu was in the kids menu. I didnt care...thats what I wanted. So I got the kids meal. It was soooo good. I figured that should have cured me of this strange craving....

but no....

About two hours later...I wanted lasagna again. So we ended up buying some from the supermarket and having in for dinner.

I hadn't had lasagna for ages. Normally, I like it but I dont go crazy over it. So the only thing I can think of was that the movie put a subconscious suggestion into my head.

I dont mean it was done on purpose...but watching Garfield pig out on lasagna must have just tripped a switch in my mind.

And no...I have never experienced anything like it before (food advertisements on tv dont effect me at all)

So i just thought I would share this with everyone and find out if anyone else has had this happen to them (not necessarily with Garfield and lasagna).

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I understand what you're saying.

Each time I watch Ratatouille with my nephews, I get the urge to cook something. (Specifically, my "Comfort Soup.") Unfortunately, rarely do I have the necessary ingredients to make it.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by eternal_vigilance

I personally think that everyone has their trigger switch.

Some might watch a sofa advert and they have to get that sofa etc.

I find that anytime I watch a cooking program with steak, I have to have a steak almost immediately. My favourite food is steak though.

When you like something and it is suggested to you, no matter how smart you are you have that "gut" instinct.

I think you have found yours.

The beauty of it is that you allow yourself to be manipulated because at the end of the day you really knew you wanted the lasagne in the first place.

Its the same with adverts, if you are flirting with an idea it will push you to it whether you know it or now and that is why they bombard it at you because sooner or later your going to give in.

I take it from your Avatar you love cats?

Something with cats and one of your favourite foods = cravings for lasagne.

Heres a good example of the power of suggestion that I watched quite some time ago.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6-1-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by eternal_vigilance

I take it from your Avatar you love cats?

haha...actually no. I am a dog person (allergic to cats)...but I do like to sit on the couch and drink!

The thing that surprised me is that, up until that moment, I hadnt even thought about lasagna. Its not one of my favourite foods and its not something we have on any sort of regular basis.

It surprised me how strong the craving was...and it concerns me because I dont want this to mean that I am easily susceptible to the power of suggestion. I went to a hypnotist show once and he couldnt put me under so I had always thought I had a strong mind.

But this makes me wonder.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Funny you should bring up Garfield and subconscious messages because I watched the Garfield Christmas special this past holiday. I hope that my 5 year old wasn't effected by suggestions like "whoever invented putting the star on the tree should be dragged out in the street and shot"
! What!!

Yes! Garfield was asked to place the the most important ornament on the tree and when he failed to do so he stated that the person responsible for suggesting it in the first place should be shot. Huh? How does a statement like that have anything to do with Christmas or family?

Anyway....all offending Garfield messages aside. I have no problem with brain washing me into wanting lasagna. I love the stuff and always will so bring on the cravings. yes... I tried to find the clip on you tube but had no luck.

Ok....well I'm off to shoot someone in the street.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I remember watching the movie and wishing I could watch the original cartoon again enjoyed it much more. Still enjoy picking up the kids books or the collections when I find them at thrift stores.
As for lasagna, hate it. Dunno why, love it's ingredients, but can't stnad eating the stuff.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Yeah, I know what you mean... my advise:

Don't go watching Cheech & Chong movies!! God knows what you may crave after watching it...

Peace

top topics

join