It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots Apparently Helpless Man In The Back (Update: Officer quits to avoid IA questions)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
p.s. A Brief History of U.S.A" cartoon link
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by likeabull

actually I agreed with you up until you said that the kids didn't get loud til he got shot. Watch the entire video my friend.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
There seems to be some confusion about the video ccapturing the shooting. Here is the second video again where you can see the shooting at around 2:28-2:30. Watch the cop shoot, then holster his gun and bring his hands up to his head.

link to second video

[edit on 1/5/09 by stikkinikki]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

You are right...the rawstory vid the OP posted has the initial confrontation while the youtube vid shows the execution....watch both please.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by likeabullafter he shot the guy you can see his own reaction of putting his gun back in his holster faster than Wyatt Herp. This demonstrated to me that he knew what he did was wrong and that there was no threat , just a fear based adrenaline induced execution. Why else would he holster his weapon that fast? Then putting both hands to his head; as if to say "what the hell did i just do"...

The real trigger? Psychological. Sometimes anglo saxon police officers in major cities; when dealing with minorities. just snap for some reason. It's unfortunate, but it's a fact. I relate it to the Michael Moore syndrome as documented in his movie Bowling for Columbine "A Brief History of U.S.A" cartoon. I suggest everyone watch. I personally call it the fear factor.

I can't see him holstering his gun. The vid is jumping at that point. I see him putting his hand to his head briefly. Maybe he's faking it; hard to tell. But this guy might not be simply an evil monster. Maybe just some lizard part of his brain kicked and he didn't know what he was doing. His actions are truly bizarre. Weird and tragic.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I didn't watch the video, and i know this wasn't stated in the headline but I'm going to assume that he was black.....
Do I win a prize?

Don't flame me please.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

It matters not why he did it.
The crime was committed.
If I had done the same thing, you had better bet your sweet ass I would be jail-bound. Post Haste.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Elijio

You DO win a prize. And no, I don't mean to flame.
PC minded people like to believe that racial prejudice doesn't exist anymore.
They also often watch movies like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Not that I'm accusing anyone here of being racist, I'm just saying.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
A bit of a flimsy excuse but I can see how the officer could have thought he was pulling his taser instead of his sidearm IF...his taser was in the exact same spot as his sidearm. The cops here in my town carry their tasers on the hip opposite of the gun hip. So there would be no confusion such as this. Not that it matters the cops here have gotten away with so many things it's sickening. From statutory rape, domestic violence,vehicular homicide while driving drunk drug possession,distribution, and use(12 felony counts to be exact) and even murder. All things they have gotten away with.

I agree with some that if nothing is done to this officer we could see another situation like the Rodney King riots. If he gets out of this with that flimsy excuse of mixing his gun up with his taser I think people will be mad as hell.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

It DOES matter WHY he did it although from the YouTube video it appears that is a mute point. Regardless of what you think of police officers most do have an honest desire to help people and prevent people from harming you. I am sorry your jaded to that effect. It is no different from people hating the military when the y come come home because they percieve them as baby-killers. Anyone assigned a gun to defend us or use a weapon in a natioal directive is ostracized as some sort of StormTrooper from the 3rd Reich. Get over yourselves.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by djvexd]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
reply to post by rizla

It matters not why he did it.
The crime was committed.

Yes, but the question is, what is his crime? Premeditated first-degree murder or manslaughter due to diminished-responsibility? The cop's actions are weird. It's hard to judge if his are the actions of a cold-blooded killer (probably) or someone experiencing some kind of weird 'episode'.

I do think he should be incarcerated if people are to have any faith in justice. Watch this space...

Originally posted by djvexd
It DOES matter WHY he did it although from the YouTube video it appears that is a mute point.

It's a moot point, not mute. Sorry, I just couldn't let that one go.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by rizla]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

Sorry quick typing..lol

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

NO, it doesn't matter why he did it. As I've maintained throughout, the Police Officer doesn't have a case here. The evidence is abundantly clear.

The man was on the ground, wrapped up by two cops, one of which had his knee in the back of the man's neck while yet ANOTHER cop pulled a gun and executed him.

Period, end of discussion.

Oh, and as for the soldiers. They have an obligation to defend this Nation's CONSTITUTION, not its President's whimsical ideas. If the troops make an improper moral decision under the guidance of a fool, they should accept that responsibility, even if it means dealing with some criticism back home.

And this is coming from a six year soldier. I joined for four years, but had to withstand an extra two due to a stop-loss.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

I highly doubt it could be considered premeditated, unless the dude is just a complete sociopath (which I won't rule out), but I doubt it.

Manslaughter charges of the highest order.

I was probably being a little rash whenever I spoke of capital murder charges... But something like this cannot be swept up without multiple years in a Federal Prison.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
My first reaction to the video was that he mistakenly drew his gun when he was meaning to draw his taser. His stance is pretty standard for someone preparing to tase an uncooperative individual. You can even see him put his hands to his head, like “man I just drew the wrong weapon”, right after it happens. I am not agreeing with what happened in any way, but in the heat of the moment I can see where it would be easy to grab the wrong pistol shaped item off your belt and let fly before you realize what you did.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by taserman
Ok, saw the video. This entire news story and thread is ridiculous.

The video doesn't even show the guy getting shot, the camera is pointed down at the ground when he is shot. You can clearly see and hear though that he is shot while he is on the ground resiting arrest and clearly trying to grab something out of his pockets, which could have been a dangerous weapon. Not only that but a bit earlier in the video you could see this man running straight at the cops in the video, before he gets tackled down!

Sorry but I award this dumbass a darwin award. He deserved to get shot. You don't just run at police, and then when they tackle you, you don't squirm around trying to struggle and grab something out of your shirt. Especially after you just issued verbal threats such as "f**k the police" and "death to pigs" which can be clearly heard several times in the video.

Add to the fact that thees officers were surrounded by a large mob of people, ALL of them issuing verbal threats and moving closer and closer, I would be afraid for my life too and a bit on edge.

Any way, I would have shot and killed this guy too if he was doing that to me, and I'm not even a cop. Darwin took care of this genius's gene pool.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by taserman]

[edit on 5-1-2009 by taserman]

Ok, first, you need to learn to read. Then you need to learn to see. There are TWO videos (BIG letters so you see it). This is the one that clearly shows the officer pulling his gun and shooting the kid at point blank range for no reason at all...
BIG LETTERS FOR YOUR BLIND EYES (The Video)

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I like prizes, Winnar!

Okay, now before folks get all bent outta shape or pretend to(you know who you are) don't expect severe punishment for the officer. Don't blame the judge for this if it happens, it won't be his/her fault. If he is seen as chattel then there's not much the judge can do now is there?
Now lemme guess, the officer was not black? lol
Don't flame me please.

Slavery = happened 200+ years ago
ppls views of certain ppl becuz of slavery = exists in the Present and will in the PHyuchar

BTW why is this in "alternative" news, this is a pretty normal occurrence.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but in the video a guy walks up to the cops with a weapon, looks like a gun. He approaches the cops like a gangster, holding what looks like a weapon in his hand. That is grounds for being shot instantly.

Not sure if it is the same guy that got shot though..

I would have hated to be a cop in that situation, it reminds me of a high school fight, where all the spectators jump to conclusions like some people on this thread, yelling stupid things like "get his badge number" lol.

Somebody teach these punk kids and wanna be gangsters that cops have "the right to use deadly force". It's called a license to kill. And when you threaten a cops life, they are allowed to kill you.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
Well that is another story...that was Not in the original rawstory videos. As I have said before this officer needs to be punished. But the links provided showed no evidence of the youtube vid. This is truly heinous(sp?). I still stand behind my earlier posts about LE but this needs to be dealt with. I am man enough to admit when I am wrong....I AM. Also I still did not see it in the original posts but I do apologize to those that did ...I watched it again and STILL can't see it from the original rawstory posts. This douche needs to be dealt with.

No offence mate but you obviously did not read the article properly. Both video's are linked in the article.

The first video (down the bottom) shows the incident but pans away before the shot is heard to be fired.

The second video (as linked in the article where it says "San Francisco's KTVU aired a second video clip from an anonymous witness. In it, Grant is clearly pinned by two officers and completely immobile. Then, without provocation, the officer at Grant's waist draws his weapon and fires." - wherein the "a second video clip" is the actual link.) show the policeman firing his weapon into an already restrained and defenseless man.

This is clearly an execution performed by the police officer. Anybody who says otherwise is either completely blind or harbours another agenda.

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
I don't know if you guys have noticed this, but in the video a guy walks up to the cops with a weapon, looks like a gun. He approaches the cops like a gangster, holding what looks like a weapon in his hand. That is grounds for being shot instantly.

Not sure if it is the same guy that got shot though..

I would have hated to be a cop in that situation, it reminds me of a high school fight, where all the spectators jump to conclusions like some people on this thread, yelling stupid things like "get his badge number" lol.

Somebody teach these punk kids and wanna be gangsters that cops have "the right to use deadly force". It's called a license to kill. And when you threaten a cops life, they are allowed to kill you.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by ALLis0NE]

Quite apart from the fact that this is not the man that the police shot, you are barking up the wrong tree here. The man who was shot by the police was RESTRAINED FACE DOWN by 3 officers. How on God's Earth could he have presented a threat to the officers?

Go back the the cave from whence thee came please.

[edit on 6/1/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Elijio

People who show that “I am being unreasonably persecuted” attitude, tend to be the ones who end up in these situations. The reason being that they are more likely to resist rather then cooperate. Once an officer is effecting an arrest, he will arrest you using any level of force necessary to effect that arrest, and no level of resistance on your part is going to change his decision, thus making things worse on yourself. Under the use of force matrix, which most departments have, once you are actively resisting (ie. Struggling) police are required under their rules to deploy either a electrical or chemical deterrent. The use of force matrix starts going once the person starts running their mouths (verbal resistance), refusing to move (passive resistance), struggling (active resistance), and fighting (bodily harm). Each level you make them pass through increases the level of force that an officer is allowed to exert on you.
A Use of force Matrix

Those rules apply to everyone, but some folks make things easier by complying then fighting in court, the proper way.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join