It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Shoots Apparently Helpless Man In The Back (Update: Officer quits to avoid IA questions)

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Eh, I've been pretty upset about this ordeal for a while now. Like I said, I understand the fury involved here. I'm sure this will end soon enough now.

Just have to wait and see if this episode stops some of the unnecessary violence that the police are using at an almost habitual rate now.

I'm going to say, for the record, that I may be a little rash in calling for the destruction of property. I must say I would be displeased to find out that people's houses are being burned. If something like that were to happen, I would say the line has been crossed.

However, I can understand the urge to bring down buildings paid for with tax money. And while I can see the idea that I shouldn't act on behalf of a man who's family is asking for people to remain calm over, I feel that probably misses the point of the rioting completely. People are pissed at the system in general, not in behalf of this man.

I am going to drop my participation in this thread. I don't want to say anything too harsh. Although, I'm sure I have in a few of your eyes already. Apologies, if due.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ATruGod
See where I state I hope the demonstrations are peaceful? Wow how unpatriotic of me. I didn't even edit that post so wow it must have really been there the whole time huh?

As for my spelling why is that an issue, is that another childish attempt to insult me?

Here look at this post you typed...

Infrastructure is fair game? Ruining peoples livelihood is fair game?

In todays economy lots of those infrastructure victims are probably as close as me to losing thier homes. So yeah go tear up thier stores, burn them, loot them, they don't matter just so long as they arent thier to be hurt physically who cares if they cant pay thier mortgage tomorrow beacuse they can't run thier stores (or whatever) anymore.

What a juvenille attitude.

By all means protest but don't freaking riot. Who the hell does that help?

I counted 8 spelling mistakes in just one paragraph and it struck me as odd to say the least. Other posts you typed had fewer issues and I was curious as to why this was the case. Maybe it is just me but when people use words they should be able to spell those words. To suggest that someone has a juvenile attitude while spelling that adjective "juvenille" sort of takes the gas out of the statement. I thought that it was because you became flustered and wanted to ask you why. For my trouble I get called "childish" while I am the one attempting to read this.

The growing depression will also be addressed by the police and possibly the military. During the Great Depression 7 million Americans starved to death over the years. You could not drive to another state without buying a sticker. People lived like animals and life was brutal. How will that look now? After a hurricane refugees were turned back by the police who fired over their heads and then insisted that the next volley would be direct.

As they say, "You can't take it with you!"

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

Big of you to say Star for you.

I still hope the protests remain peaceful.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye

Nice! Tear up the neighborhood, burn businesses and cop cars that had nothing to do with the transit police. Never mind going down to the court house, never mind going to the police station, never mind going to the news stations or hell even going to the murderers house. NO! the riots didn't solve this, the videos did. That's the only thing in your post that is correct. Rioting is ignorants at it's best and when the smoke clears the innocent is hurt, their property destroyed, their lives in fear because of a bunch of idiots who's only rioting because they have an excuse to.

Nice! Kill everyone you arrest! Beat up the ones you don't like! Cease all the property you like! Arrest people for protecting their own homes. Throw people in jail for pot. Arrest steroid dealers and then pump up on their ceased steroids. Tazer people because they talk back.

Looks like what we got here is failure to communicate!!
Shakin' it boss!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha_Magnum

Originally posted by Solarskye

Nice! Tear up the neighborhood, burn businesses and cop cars that had nothing to do with the transit police. Never mind going down to the court house, never mind going to the police station, never mind going to the news stations or hell even going to the murderers house. NO! the riots didn't solve this, the videos did. That's the only thing in your post that is correct. Rioting is ignorants at it's best and when the smoke clears the innocent is hurt, their property destroyed, their lives in fear because of a bunch of idiots who's only rioting because they have an excuse to.

Nice! Kill everyone you arrest! Beat up the ones you don't like! Cease all the property you like! Arrest people for protecting their own homes. Throw people in jail for pot. Arrest steroid dealers and then pump up on their ceased steroids. Tazer people because they talk back.

Shakin' it boss!

Ok so I guess I'll stoop to your level. If your going to use a word like Seizure shouldnt you be able to at least start with the correct letter...see how dumb that was? Yeah you looked that dumb too.

Can you enlighten us with what it would take in your feeble mind to end the violence?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ATruGod

Dang officer you got me. It is a good thing I spelled 'cease' correctly though or you might have erased the 1st Amendment.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alpha_Magnum

Shakin' it boss!

I'm sorry, but the CORRECT SPELLING WOULD BE: taSer.
www.taser.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Ta⋅ser   /ˈteɪzər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tey-zer] Show IPA Pronunciation

Trademark. a small gunlike device that fires electric darts to incapacitate a person temporarily

See how stupid and childish correcting others typos on here is. Stop trolling please, its getting OLD and adds absolutely NOTHING to ATS or the topics at hand.

[edit on 1/14/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Ah the other cop shows up and you would know about TAZERS®. Here is the web page..

TAZERS®

Ahahahah

I was going to mention cease and desist in the other post but then just thinking about how sadistic you cops have become got me flustered like the other guy.

Mmmmmmmm
So the old "troll" claim. OK

There should be numerous protests and odds are the police will escalate matters and cause a riot. For instance, they will light a dumpster on fire and blame the protesters.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Alpha_Magnum]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I'm mad as hell too about what happened and I'm not to fond of the police or the government. I say yes make a stand, use your freedom of speech, get the media involved, get your neighbors & friends involved, but don't go and destroy personal property and vandalize the community. I think everyone here wants justice, but what's the justice in violence? Always make your stand in what you believe is right or wrong just don't make two wrongs feel right. I know there are times when we have to fight but My God! go fight the people who did the dirty deed not your community or personal property. Go and stand because it's right, fight if you must but only because it's right. Don't go and blame all for one mans bad. I still think the other cops involved should be fired and tried for not doing their duty to arrest a the shooter on the spot. Speak out about that and get everyone involved in this case so that justice is served.

[edit on 1/14/2009 by Solarskye]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Alpha_Magnum

So you get shown for the same thing you point out and you try and insult me again...man (sorry I'm betting BOY...probably little) I'll bet your pretty pathetic in real life.

Please just answer the question that actually has to do with the topic of the post.

Can you enlighten us with what it would take in your feeble mind to end the violence?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Please just answer the question that actually has to do with the topic of the post.

I read that question two times but since I'm clearly not feeble minded you will get nothing directly from me.

Now, indirectly I will ask a question or three that are rhetorical (I don't expect an answer). Did you ever consider the possibility that your own death will end the violence for you? Did you ever consider that when too many humans are competing for food, land, water and breeding extinction becomes a real possibility? Did you know that nothing lasts forever.

HERE:

Victoria Snelgrove (October 29, 1982 – October 21, 2004) was a college student who was accidentally killed by Boston police about an hour and a half after the Boston Red Sox's victory over the New York Yankees in the 2004 American League Championship Series. Snelgrove was a junior majoring in journalism at Emerson College, to which she had transferred from Fitchburg State College in the fall of 2003. She was 21 years old when she died. She was mortally wounded near Fenway Park when an FN 303 blunt trauma / pepper spray projectile hit her in her eye, causing her to bleed excessively.

I could put together a list that would break your heart but you don't have one. You're worried about "your stuff" or barking commands and completely missed the reality that you are not your job or your car or any of that. All of the things can be replaced and the buildings built again but once shooting a 21 year old girl and killing her is an ACCIDENT and the police don't even express remorse things are "WAY FAR GONE"

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Good evening people.

Obviously a contentious topic. I'm going to ask that you forebear from correcting each others spelling, commenting on others intelligence, or any other items not relating to the topic at hand...

The topic, since some of you seem to have forgotten, is:

Cop Shoots Apparently Helpless Man In The Back (Update: Officer quits to avoid IA questions)

Thank you for you future cooperation in this matter...

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

I apologize for some of my comments and hope that when the time arrives I am able to survive by doing what needs to be done.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Just an update on the case itself. THe officer has entered a plea.

Fox News - BART Officer Plea

The story is pretty short and the main bit of info is:

OAKLAND, Calif. — The transit police officer who shot and killed an unarmed black man on New Year's Day has pleaded not guilty to murder.

Given his actions thus far I'm not surprised he pleaded this way. My guess is he's hoping for some type of deal.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by Frogs]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Looks like Mehserle may have a HISTORY of using excessive force:

Second Man Claims He Was Abused By BART Shooter

The police report charges that Carrethers was "using profanities" and making "verbal threats" to attack the officers and resisted violently when the officers tried to subdue him.

Carrethers, however, insists that "I go to church every Sunday, and I don't cuss." He says that Mehserle grabbed him, they fell to the ground, and "before I know it I got five officers on top of me beating the hell out of me." The officers took him to a hospital, where he was described as having injuries to his face and pain in his shoulder.

An ABC7 legal analyst noted that there are a number of peculiar aspects to the officers' version of events. One is that police are trained not to overreact to merely verbal abuse. Another is that Carrethers was charged only with resisting arrest and there was no mention of any other crime for which he was being arrested.

Full Story:
rawstory.com...

[edit on 16-1-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
There's a new video that aired on the local news tonight that shows events moments earlier than what we've all been watching.

Before Grant is seated on the ground with his hands up pleading with BART police, you can see one officer punching his in the face a few times.

Here is a link to the article and video.

www.ktvu.com...

[edit on 25-1-2009 by bizone]

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Here is the link with the video:

www.ktvu.com...

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bizone

HOLY CRAP.

The more I see of this event, the more that I'm convinced that ALL of those officers should be put behind bars. So he was physically assaulted PRIOR to being executed, and by a DIFFERENT COP!

These guys should all be locked up!

posted on Jan, 28 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Updating an old thread as I came across a new bit of news on it today..

BART agrees to settlement payment over shooting

OAKLAND, Calif.—Transit officials in Northern California announced they have reached a $1.5 million settlement with the young daughter of an unarmed man who was fatally shot last year by a transit officer.

The agreement was reached Wednesday between the Bay Area Rapid Transit agency and Oscar Grant's fiancee, Sophina Mesa, who is raising their 5-year-old daughter, Tatiana. It settles part of a $50 million wrongful death lawsuit against the agency and several employees, including former BART officer Johannes Mehserle, who is charged in Oscar Grant's death.

A judge still has to approve the deal.

Grant family attorney John Burris said that under the agreement, Tatiana will receive an annual allowance to be overseen by her mother and will get access to larger sums once she turns 18. He estimates the payout, including interest over 20 years, will be between $4 million and $5 million.

It should be noted this is still not over. As mentioned, the officer still faces charges and there are other lawsuits pending.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
SO I guess the cop that did this just got convicted of involuntary manslaughter by the jury.

Jury delivers involuntary manslaughter verdict in Oakland shooting

Sentencing is set for August 6. Involuntary manslaughter normally carries a maximum sentence of up to four years in prison under California law. But the judge could add an "enhancement" that could provide a longer sentence because a firearm was used in commission of a crime.

-ChriS

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34 >>

join