It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US soldiers begin patroling NYC streets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Article Link

Later this evening as the newfangled Times Square Ball descends in Manhattan, you may see New York National Guard soldiers patrolling with the NYPD as you watch on television. “Under orders from New York Governor David Paterson, members of the New York Army and Air National Guard will conduct additional security missions and stand ready to respond to city authorities if a man-made or natural emergency occurs,” reports Jim Kouri, who is currently fifth vice-president of the National Association of Chiefs of Police.

This is already after Marines are working with California state troopers as read here.

It would be much appreciated if anyone living in New York can confirm this once this starts.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by Anonymous Avatar]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
That's really strange. The picture in that article shows the soldiers carrying carbines(or some type of sub automatic or automatic machine gun).
I wonder what they could possibly need those for.
Hopefully someone will verify if this article is true or not.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

This was for new year's eve only and was discussed at length here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some chose to see it as something nefarious, I happened to believe that it was a prudent step for the evening.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Ah, cool. Thanks for that SD. Just out of curiosity why do you think the NYPD could not have handled new years on their own?

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Concur.

NYC is possibly the #1 target on the planet...security is tight.

I live in NY on Long Island....unfortunately, it's not uncommon to see Police/Soldiers with automatic weapons on the street or in Penn Station.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Lets not forget that PEOPLE in general act like complete idiots. I'm sure the NYPD had their hands full with drunk, high, and out of control scumbags...not to mention the gangs and other lowlifes who did nothing all night but rape, murder, rob, burglarize and terrorize the innocent ones. If it takes the NG to help control animals...then by all means...

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar

Ah, cool. Thanks for that SD. Just out of curiosity why do you think the NYPD could not have handled new years on their own?

I just think that politicians (Governor/Mayor) just rather play it safe and cover their behinds. Like I said in the other thread, imagine the uproar there would have been had something happened and they were undermanned.

I don't have the exact numbers now but I also know that the NYPD has had tremendous problems recruiting new people recently.

Better be safe than sorry situation for new year's eve.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

undermanned, huh. well, i for one think there is enough NYPD to handle an event they have had for ah, let's see, ????? an outside threat would factor in the extra guards; however, my gut says it was for the containment and control of citizens of the city of new york, united states of america.

another point i would like to make is the citizens of new york might be conditioned into seeing the guard on the streets and therefore common place.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by musselwhite]

[edit on 12-1-2009 by musselwhite]

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
more proof , that USA is heading for martial law

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Wait til Obaamaa gets his National Civilian Security Force up and running!

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
In that pic, they dont even have clips in their guns. fyi.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

Please...NY State National Guard Active duty and Reservists have been on active patrol duty, sometimes nexct to NYC Police Officers and often not, since Sept 12, 2001. In the airports, train terminals, and high profile and targtet rich streets, neighborhoods and buildings. They are armed with Army sidearms and M-16s. In addition, there a number of undercover City, State and Federal security teams actively patroling and working in the City.

Nothing new. And something I believe New Yorkers want and appreciate.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Yes, but both the units in Penn and in Grand Central have bomb dogs that I never see doing anything other than sleeping except for one instance in Penn station.

We all know if something happened, NYC couldn't protect itself. It's really not secured that well.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

yeah, like if you leave the mcdonalds in buford. take a right go less than a half mile. mom said that the tank was there because a three year old was being held or something. sounds strange. i asked her, mom hav u ever seen an army tank responding to a local emergency? she said no and i told her the police in marietta and cobb county also have tanks. maybe, they r trying to desensitize people to their presence. this # is so scary. this stuff is unfolding so fast. also, it hit me today. the big inauguration... to take attention from other happenings. maybe, there is a lag in the news today because they r trying to catch up from all the hype yesterday. a perfect time to arrange things to set up shop. i am not sure what could have been organized but it would have been a perfect time to do so.

this is not new york but buford, georgia just outside of atlanta where a military tank was responding to a local emergency. tell me this is normal. in all my 55 years i've never seen a military vehicle involving in local business.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
In that pic, they dont even have clips in their guns. fyi.

yeah they do, they are 10 round ejectable compact clips.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Ah, no. No clips. Look closer.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
It is just more conditioning. If you saw a mailman walking down your street you would not give him another thought. You may nod your head and offer a greeting but you would then go on about your day as usual. You would not even mention it in conversation. Once you get used to the military as common place in your neighborhoods, local businesses and streets you will not give it another thought. You will not wonder why they are there, or if they need to be there. Nor would you stop and think what guidelines or rules are in place for how they can interact with you. In other words you will not even notice that your country has slowly and surreptitiously moved you forward to a police state. I don’t believe that it is necessary to throw the baby out with the bath water in our desire to improve safety. If we let this happen there will be nothing left to protect.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

you are right......social conditioning. see my post above about the tank in a little town of buford, georgia getting involved in a local emergency. this is really freaky......and many on this site say this type sitings of military is normal and the joint exercises are normal but i say they are not. they are the ones who have been socially conditioned.....can you say brainwashed??????

top topics

join