It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did a ufo hit wind turbine in Conisholme UK? See picture and news article..

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by djen745911

I'm not a physicist but what you say about a small weight or force unbalancing the spinning blade seems perfectly feasible to me.

Also what you say about the failure of a safe guard system is interesting too; it seems completely feasible again that a manufacturing or design defect could cause such a problem.

I guess the mystery comes into it when you combine the statistical chance of even a small object striking the spinning blade from a 'good' angle against the statistical chance of a manufacturing defect allowing a failure of an in-built safeguard.

Like you say, it's all speculation. I'm looking forward to hearing what the engineers have to say. Even if it is a simple mechanical failure, this incident will be a good opportunity to refine the safety features of subsequent models of the turbine.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by IcarusOli
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Hi Elf,

Thanks for the star... I'm not sure what they're there for though!

Hey you get points for the Star, they come off the persons points who give them, like an appreciation from other members.

You have an U2U or private message my friend. If you look at the top of your browser on the list of buttons when you are in ATS you will see U2U if you press that once and look in there then click on a message from me you will see it in a text box below.

You wont be able to reply yet until you have done more posts/threads but you will see my contact info in there, please dont post it on the forum!

Will be a pleasure to help you, and guide you along to get this sorted out.

If you like I will adopt you to? a term on ATS where a new members gets guidance from an experienced one to help them with queries and get you up and going on the site.

Take a look here for more info on this : Freshman's Forum

Everything you need to know as new member can be found there.

Hope to get your interveiws up on here on your first exclusive thread soon!

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hi guys,

Just thought i'd post as well. Normally just read the stories, but as this happened only a couple of miles from me then I thought I'd volunteer for any local information that anyone might want.

Just to confirm previous posts as well, that it wasn't particularly cold and there was little in the way of wind speed, even for our flat part of the country!

If the blade has been found then I'd tend to agree with the gearbox issue had it not been for the fact there was (in my opinion) insufficient wind to be of any problem to a wind turbine. We get strong winds in this county, and there certainly wasn't any that night.

Lincolnshire and especially 'the wolds' gets an awful lot of UFO sightings, but that could be down to the fact we have a lot of military bases in the county because we're so rural and the land is very flat.

So any questions/pictures or anything else anyone wants, just let me know.

Thanks

Dean

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Hi Elf,

Cool, thanks for the info. And thanks for the U2U also. No probs re: discretion. Will get on the phone tonight to try and get some testimony. I'm not sure it'll be anything different to the stuff already in the public domain though, from what I've already heard.

Actually, I don't think i've seen anything about the sulpherous odour yet though.

Anyhow, I'll look into it.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
hi all good read but, I would have thought that these blades were designed to cope with lower temps than this, and the resulting ice that could fall off and why only one blade out of 60 ? Also the local people against the wind farm would need a long ladder to get to this blade, why not one nearer the floor ? This leaves me thinking that something flying , or mechanical failure, must be the answer. If mechanical i would think it would be quickly identified so leaving the flight option. My question is could the basket , control part of a helium "blimp" knock it off and continue to fly back to base ? Just a wild guess tho. Dom

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I know the odds are long but hey gotta cover everything even the UFO factor im a non believer in UFO's and i trust in science however im struggling to explain or make sense of this.

I would like to believe there are things out there that would make life interesting as long as they are not hell bent on destroying us :-)

I thought about the feasability of a live fire excercise possibly RAF but no scorch marks?

Possible something reentering the earths atmosphere but where is the crash site it would take more than a turbine to deflect it.

Seismic activity again could only have effected the turbine due to weakness why where the others untouched?

More scenarios please we can whittle them out one by one.

D

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by IcarusOli

Yeah, i see your point. Either way, UFO or meteor impact, it certainly is interesting.

I'd like to see independent analysis done on the blade(s), to check for residues. If it's left up to the 'vested interests' we'll have little more than a whitewash.

A few posters have said things along the lines of ' As if a UFO is going to travel billions of miles to get here, just to crash into a wind turbine'...well, for starters, noone knows where these things originate from. They could come from earth..sometimes.
Secondly, there is precident for UFOs collideing with fixed objects, such as radio masts etc. So not impossible, although pretty rare it seems.

It may be a meteor, but i can't help but think the angles are all wrong.

Meteors tend to come in straight down, once well inside our airspace. I feel for a blade to be knocked off, and propelled verticaly or horizontaly a great distance, the thing that hit it, meteor or UFO would have had to have been travelling in the same orientation. If it came down and hit almost verticaly, the blade would have impacted directly beneath or very near to the mast.

Aparently, one witness managed to get a photo of this tentacled UFO, i'm waiting to see that!

Cheers,

spikey.
Either way, interesting story.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

But the remaining two blades were bent and buckled, surely fibre glass would just snap? There were no reported winds in the area let alone high winds. The blades need to be examined for any collision markings.

link   
reply to post by djen745911

Ufo's are not scientific then?

They are mostly constructed craft...machines.
I know there are a few UFO 'cults' around the world, but ufology is not a religeous belief system on the whole.

spikey

link   
the gearbox failure is extremely plausible, although it doesnt explain the influx of calls about UFO activity in that area at the time?

link   

Originally posted by spikey
reply to post by IcarusOli

A few posters have said things along the lines of ' As if a UFO is going to travel billions of miles to get here, just to crash into a wind turbine'...well, for starters, noone knows where these things originate from. They could come from earth..sometimes.

I take your point, but what people are doing on this thread, it seems to me, is weighing up the odds. Some sort of mechanical failure is one possibility, an alien UFO hitting the blades is another. It's not unreasonable to place your money on the former rather than the latter, given the complete lack of any evidence that the damage was caused by anything extra terrestrial.

Just my opinion - you must of course bet your money as you wish. I'm the sort of idiot who invests in "low-risk" stocks and shares, and then wonders why he's only made 15p on them over ten years. What do I know.

LW

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

I wish people would bother to read a thread.

NO...the turbine was not turning, there was no (or very little) wind at the time.

Gearbox failure can't occure when it's not engaged.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

The MoD said of the latest scare: “Unless there is evidence of a potential threat, there is no attempt to identify the nature of each sighting.”

MOD only investigate if human interaction has occurred or allege "threats" against human life.

However, the Health and Safety Committee are incapable of given any definitive explanation for this incident. According to them, something hit the wind turbine and it's described as a "unique incident." The Health and Safety Committee have insisted it must be a craft.

The media is extremely liberal in using the word "alien", one cannot notice the recent climatising orchestrated by the British media.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneWeasel

You seem to be forgetting about the multiple witnesses, who awoke to an eerie and loud humming noise, looked out of their repective houses and saw what THEY described as a collection of huge illuminated spheres, with orange tinges at the peripherals, dangling long tentacle like filaments, streaking around in the direction of the wind farm, which none of them appear to have ever seen before, according to their statements.

This was closely followed by a very loud bang, closely followed by a destroyed wind turbine, with one blade that was missing, but then found up to half a mile away.

AND all this on a calm, still(ish) night/morning.

The sequence of events is proof of nothing, but common sense dictates, once all mundane arguments have been explored and rejected, whatever hypothesis remains, however fantastic, is usually the correct one.

spikey.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Too true. (get with the programme scumbag!)
Good info, there - thanks.

Have you noticed the words used from media snippet?

'The latest SCARE'! Eh?! What a bunch of morons.

Are you scared? Is anyone scared about this story here??

I'm sorry, but i'd be very suprised if anyone has been scared in the slightest by this. Almost as though they WANT the public to fear UFOs.

First it was rediculous to even contemplate UFO's are real craft.
Now, it's OK to contemplate them, but we should be scared when we do??

Grow up media outlets and act and treat us like adults for a change would you! Oh, and the BBC, interviewed someone about this turbine damage, his hypothesis involved "Something about the size and weight of a COW hitting the blades"!

Yeah, right on! Perhaps the UFO was in the process of abducting a cow, but dropped it on the turbine? Come on BBC, get your patronising act together will you!

spikey.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I posted in a different thread on this very topic, but I think the other thread is a lot less popular and I don't want my post to go under the radar. So I'm going to post these here too.

I have actually just scanned two articles from two different newspapers I bought today.

This first one is the wind turbine story scanned from The Sun newspaper.

The second is a story from my local newspaper where lights were spotted over my town. Talk about spooky, the timing is just too strange.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
there appears to be some very valid theories here, however I dont subscribe to the lightning theory as the weather conditions recently dont appear to match quite right for a strike. what will be interesting will be the results of a supposed analysis of the site. interestingly the MOD have openly said that they wont be investigating (as per BBC news website). This certainly opens up all sorts of debate but the idea of ice from a neighbouring turbine seems implausible. As a follower of fortean interests I am looking forward to what thescientific conclusion is going to be. Very interesting to note the accounts of aerial abnormalities in the run up to this reported by locals. mass hysteria perhaps? we'll wait and see. [email protected]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

ice yeah right you dont think these things are tested by bsa to withstand violent storms an all types of severe weather it is quite plain to see by the bent wing that it was hit by something

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
You can all relax now the propellor wasn't missing it was on the ground, the original story was bogus, full story and video here news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Okay, okay... It's time to burst the bubble.
I work in the media, I've tried to hide this
in the past, but I'll do this once.

The reason this 'Turbine-Ufo' story is showing
up on national and maybe international papers
is that this time (early January) is the first of
the 'silly seasons'.

Journalists that have worked over the Christmas
and the New Year period to get their papers out
are now looking for time off.

The Newpapers are short of journos... stories that
may have sat on the shelf for a month will be used
and the more 'outlandish' ones that don't need too
much scrutiny to aavoid legal problems are also served.

Wait until July, it'll happen again.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join