It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did a ufo hit wind turbine in Conisholme UK? See picture and news article..

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsallCrazy
"I'm in the UK too and aren't these normally on coastal areas?"

Wind farms are not always located in coastal areas, much the same as seagulls are not always near the sea.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Here is an update to the original story.

www.louthleader.co.uk...

Snippet from that article...

UPDATE PLUS VIDEO FOOTAGE: Tentacle UFO spotted night before carnage at Conisholme wind farm

Has the tenacle UFO got something to do with the broken blades at Conisholme?

Published Date: 06 January 2009
TUESDAY 13.20pm -
ENGINEERS from Ecotricity are working to establish how a 20m blade mysteriously fell off a turbine at Conisholme wind farm - but residents have their own conclusions.
It is believed the a blade fell off the 89m turbine and another was left badly bent on Sunday January 4.

Speculation has continued amongst residents in Conisholme and the surrounding villages with some saying they saw strange flashing tentacle shaped lights above the wind farm on the night before it happened.

Mr John Harrison, Saltfleetby described how on Saturday night, January 3 he looked out of his landing window to see a 'massive ball of light' with 'tentacles going right down to the ground' over Conisholme wind farm.

"It was huge" he said "At first I thought it must have been a hole where the moon was shining through but then I saw the tentacles – it looked just like an octopus.

"It was an incredible site; I have never seen anything like it before. I have no idea what it was, all I can say is what I saw".

Where is the video footage? I can't find it.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by tarifa37]

[edit on 6-1-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

Where is the video footage? I can't find it.

Its at the bottom of the article in blue bold writing , however it is not footage of either this wind turbine in question or the UFO in the article. Its the footage of the exploding turbine you or someone posted on the previous page.
However it is curious what this gentleman saw the previous night maybe someone could get in contact with him and he could share his thoughts on ATS.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by orgyofthedead

Ahh yes I see it,woods and trees come to mind

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
A Slope Soarer is another possibility. Perhaps the guy flying it realised the damage, recovered his fallen plane and ran the hell out of there.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It certainly wasn't damage sustained due to wind. That area of the UK has been under a huge high pressure system for days, and certainly was on the date in question. Conditions were actually exceedingly calm. If the story is correct a witness says that the blade is missing and was not even on the ground below. A selection of weather data for that area on the night in question is below. Second column is wind speed in knots. Was basically variable direction with light winds. No rain or lightning conditions either.

North-east England
Sunday 4 January, 2009 03:00 GMT

Albemarle W 9 N/A 22.0 0 1023 Falling Overcast
Bingley N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A No Data
Boulmer W 11 N/A 19.0 2 1022 Falling Overcast
Dishforth S 3 N/A 8.0 -3 1024 Falling No data
Leeming W 5 N/A 16.0 0 1024 Falling Mostly Cloudy
Linton-on-Ouse W 2 N/A 14.0 -2 1024 Falling No data

It does appear that the turbine was hit by something, and to cause that damage it certainly wasn't a bird!! I'd certainly like to know what was flying around in the middle of the night to cause such a collision.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by highlander2008]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bill23
interesting that there was no debris?

I thought the same at first... but could the debris have snapped off at such great speeds that it simply went much further away than people have bothered to search? Given the energy involved in the impact, it is possible.

-rrr

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Catastrophic failure due to over-speed cannot bend a blade.

And I don't think Chinese lanterns are that strong. It could still be a military UAV though.

-rrr

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
My guess is the missing portion of the blade is embedded in the ground somewhere and just not visible.

If these things fail at 500 mph, then the debris was traveling at least that fast when it hit the ground, possibly embedding itself completely.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The first video is from a field in Denmark, Europe.

The breaks in the wind mill wasnt working. And then the wind took control

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
those drunk aliens................

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by orgyofthedead

Just woke up to find it is still making news(of sorts).check this new article with a picture of what they think the ufo may have looked like WEIRD!
looks fishy to me

cleantechnica.com...

Snippet from the article..[John Harrison, a resident of nearby Saltfleetby, said he looked out of his window on Saturday night to see “a massive ball of light,” and “tentacles going right down to the ground” over the site. “It was huge” he said “At first I thought it must have been a hole where the moon was shining through but then I saw the tentacles – it looked just like an octopus

“It was an incredible site; I have never seen anything like it before. I have no idea what it was, all I can say is what I saw”.

However, officials are remaining tight-lipped about the cause of the damage. A spokesman from Ecotricity said, “This has never happened before so we really have no idea what might have gone wrong. We will conduct a thorough inspection of the turbines to see if there is a problem and put it right.”]

[edit on 7-1-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Could it have been a build up of ice on one of the blades that then snapped hitting the other one as it fell ,once the blades had started to turn?
I think It was about -2 that night and there could have been ice on the blades. Here is a video of a turbine with ice on its blades that the man who filmed it said dropped a large chunk of ice ,possible danger of ice flying off turbines means best not be too close on cold mornings.
Snippet from info...
[This video filmed by a resident of Byron Wisconsin who lives inside of the wind farm there. He was out plowing his driveway when he saw a piece of ice the size of a bedsheet come from the turbine.

He got his video camera and filmed the turbine. There's no flying ice in this video, but the turbine blades clearly have ice and snow on the blades- except for the one where the big chunk fell off.

Residents inside this industrial wind farm in Fond du Lac County were told ice throw from turbine blades isn't a problem. They were told if ice forms on the blades, the turbine automatically shuts down. People who are spending their first winter in the wind farm tell another story]

[edit on 7-1-2009 by tarifa37]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Wow check this video out it is the same one that explodes as seen earlier but shows the wreckage that covers Half A Mile

Sorry no ufos but interesting none the less.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
just to clarify : you do not need excessive wind speed to perciptitate a turbine runaway / failure

ALL turbines are governed every second they are turning - this is evident in the last clip posted - the rest of the farm is clearly operating correctly

the maximum safe revolutions is VERY low [ typically LESS than 60 rpm ] - so when the govenor system fails it does not take much to cause over speeding and damage

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Another item about this incident.With comments from readers.
bigyellowtaxi.wordpress.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BornPatriot

OK, let's look at this again shall we?

IF it was a gearbox failure, or other stress / structural failure that destroyed this turbine, where is the missing blade?

A 20 meter blade, just dissapears?

Aparently, the farmer involved in the story, says just before a huge bang was heard, he saw UFO over the turbines.

He described it as " A massive ball of light with multiple tentacles, that reached the ground".

Doen't sound like a gearbox failure to me...especially as the turbine wasn't moving at the time due to no wind. Bit hard to rotate to destruction (which is what these things do in high enough winds, when a governor fails), when it's not rotating eh? ;-)

Anyone heard of any other UFO reports from the area, on the same night?

Anything else, would leave evidence. A meteor would leave burns, an a rather large hole in the ground, at least a few fragmets.

An aeroplane/heli, would have been destroyed in the collision, and that would have been found.

Same thing with a missile.

Vandalism / sabbotage is a possible i s'pose, but would have had to be very orgainised. And why just the one turbine affected if this is the case?

So, what do we have?

A very damaged turbine, with a 60-70 ft blade just missing, that was not rotating/generating at the time.

No sign of debris from aircraft, or reports of the same missing/damaged.

No meteor fragments, physical traces such as burns, ground impact or fragments (even a 100m airburst would yeild fragments or traces)

A sighting at around 04:00hrs, of a 'massive' ball of light, trailing tentacle like fillaments of light to the ground. According to the witness, he had never seen anything like it before. It reminded him of an immense lit octopus.

No proof of anything, i'll grant you, but it's a hell of a lot more to go on than the gearbox, aircraft or meteor hypothesis.

spikey.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

I wouldn't have thought Lightning,i hasn't been't been any storms here although has been quite icy over the past few weeks though. Found another link for you, could be the reason??:

www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980
reply to post by spitefulgod

I wouldn't have thought Lightning,i hasn't been't been any storms here although has been quite icy over the past few weeks though. Found another link for you, could be the reason??:

www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk...

Good find
looks like my thoughts that it may have been Ice could be right.
Quote from above article..[Dick Carbutt, of Nee Farm, in North Somercotes, who sent photographs of the damage to the Grimsby Telegraph, said: "As wind conditions were not exceptional I can only assume it was icing or structural failure.

"There has been research done into the dangers of icing, but that is usually with regard to the danger from flying chunks of ice breaking off the blades, not blades breaking off entirely.]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Well i dont know lets see what the possible reasons could be.
1. It was a mechanical failure of some kind as discussed before like in the videos. Although as stated before we've had high pressure system for the last week or so and no strong winds to cause it to spin out of control(it dosent spin on its own)
2. Weather conditions could have caused it. Look at 1 for wind damage, but could be ice on the blades. That seems a logical reason, might expand/contract, unbalance, etc. Someone who has knowledge of wind turbines might want to elaborate on this and tell some of the probabilities of this being the case.
3. UFO could of flown into it. Well we have reports that there were strange lights in sky at the time and one with some kind of tentacles coming out of the lights.
4. Or someone really did not approve of the wind farm being built on the land and sabotaged it. Possibly covering themselves with stories of UFOs and/or making the wind farm look dangerous to the public if it is not safe in certain weather conditions etc. If you look into the farms there you will find (as with most IMO) that there was a lot of locals against the farm(being an eyesore etc).
But let me see if i was going to destroy one what would be the easiest most efficient way of going about it? They are high up how would you go about destroying the blades? Would it not be easier to destroy it from the bottom.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join