It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weight loss and such.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'm 17 (birthday was December 10th), 6ft2 or so and around 290 pounds.

I don't really eat as much as one would suspect I do, but I'm not very active at all. I have a place to jog and a 'CrossBow', which is a Bowflex ripoff I supose, but I find it hard to stick to something unless I have a routine.

Some other information is that I've been smoking for 3 years, and I drink a large amount of Diet Coke (really bad, I know).

What I'm asking for is some type of routine I can stick to pertaining to diet and exercise.

Thanks a bunch in advance, guys.

-Will

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

Stop the Diet Coke. The sugar substitute in it is what might be causing you to gain weight. Stop smoking too, just because you should. ;-)

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'm hardly an expert but I can speak from experience.

I'm 23, about six feet tall and I currently weigh 190lbs. I typically weighed in around 170-180lbs when I was a teenager. Then for a few years I slowly put on some weight and topped out around 215-220lbs. I wasn't grossly overweight but it was enough to dampen my mood on a daily basis.

In about 2-3 months I've shed between 20-30lbs of body fat. I've put on a good amount of muscle as well. But I just feel better and my cardio level is returning to what I expect it to be.

My diet is terrible at times. My work schedule is sporadic so I eat out too much. However, I know that when I eat foods I shouldn't be eating.. I will in turn push myself harder when I exercise. It's not great, but it helps.

I have one goal, to break a sweat everyday. I don't have to work out for 2 hours and eat foods I don't want to eat. I simply make sure I break a sweat every day.

Be honest with yourself. If you are going overboard with foods you shouldn't eat, mark them down and track what it is. So when you look back, you have an accurate list and you won't minimize. The worst thing we can do in these situations is lie to ourselves.

Above all else, try to have fun with exercising.

When I began to work out daily at about 220lbs, I was in a crisis state. It wasn't fun, I was just determined to shed weight. I was successful this time, but I failed countless times before. Now I have fun with it. I don't push myself harder than I want to and when I'm done, I'm done.

Now a certain level of drive is required.. but don't push yourself to the point where you won't push yourself the next day.

Finally, don't get frustrated when your goals aren't met overnight. I feel I've accomplished more than I could have expected in a few short months and I'm looking forward to continuing forward.

If you are looking to drop weight, monitor it every day or so. Be satisfied when you do drop a pound or two and look forward to exercising again when you don't.

I found that when I began to monitor it daily I was more successful in my goals.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Thanks, Chissler.

Yeah I think when I work out I exercise too hard and it discourages me because my muscles are pretty sore afterward.

I've heard that stretch marks don't go away, just fade out. Is that true?

-Will

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I have a few more things to add, (as a girl who watches her weight).

- Watch your Salt Intake. Increasing your sodium levels means your body retains water, which means you can feel bloated and the number on the scale will increase - which is the opposite of what you're trying to do.

-Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. Now everyone tells you you should get about 8 glasses of water a day - and they are correct. The Water flushes toxins out of your body, keeps your cells nice and moist (i dont think thats the scientific term for it), and helps with digestion.

- Watch the Sugar (Especially Refined Sugar - White Sugar, Icing Sugar). Now, I didn't do all that well in my HS Science classes, so I can't tell you the exact chemical reaction that occurs in the body when Sugar is introduced... I know that somehow that Sugar gets stored or turned into Fat, which is what you are trying to avoid).

* Fruits have Natural Sugar in them, and are good for you - but eating excess amounts of fruit is not. Having a healthy balance between foods is a good idea.

- Fibre (Okay I hate talking to people about this crap, but you know, its very important). Did you know, some people can have up to 10lbs (or more) of undigested food in their intestines? Keeping your insides working is just as important as keeping your outside in good shape.

- Vegetables (My opinion of Vegetables is slightly bias as I am a vegetarian). But incorporating more vegetables to your diet is always a safe move, not to mention that Vegetables have fibre in them, and about 3g of protein per 1/2 cup serving depending on the Vegetable.

- Now, the thing that gets people is FAD diets. The reason "diets" don't work, is because they are a quick fix, a bandaid, to a problem that needs to be solved, not avoided. Changing the way you eat is a lifetime comitment. Which is why diet pills, and liquid diets are not a good idea. Long term exposure to the chemicals in diet pills (IMO) can't be good for you. With liquid diets, you aren't learning how to properly portion solid foods, so when you stop the diet, you're unsure of how much you should be eating and thus, gain back the weight you lost.

- Making slight dietary changes here and there, will help keep you on track and keep you from being discouraged.

* Instead of the Salad with the Creamy Dressing, opt for the Tossed Salad with a Vinnagrette.
* Instead of French Fries, maybe try a Baked Potatoe or Steamed Vegetables.
* Cut back on Beef, and up your Fish intake (which is high in Omega 3's and good oils for your body)
* Instead of Ice Cream, try Yogurt.
* Choose the options that you know are healthier for you when eating out

Just minor things that will add up over time. It's like finding a quarter in the couch, over time, those quarters add up.

- Don't set unrealistic goals for yourself, otherwise you will become discouraged. (Trust me, I did this and I ended up gaining back all the weight i had lost.

- Moderation, is the best way to go about eating things. A healthy assortment of foods will keep you from being bored of certain foods, and it will help you to NOT deprive yourself of things.

* If you end up over-doing it one day, make up for it the next day by getting back on track. So what if you had cheesecake for breakfast? Tomorrow get back on track, and don't beat yourself up over it. It's not worth it to make yourself upset about it.

- Shop the outside of the store. I avoid the inside aisles unless I need Crackers, or Vegetable Broth for Soup. That's it. I don't go down the junk food aisles, and I don't buy the frozen pre-packaged, or "convenient" foods. If I'm having a craving for Chocolate or Chips or something, I'll buy a small bag of chips, or one of those 100 Calorie ones at the checkstand, which keeps me from over-indulging.

- I personally try to stick to Fresh Foods as much as possible, like i said, I'm paranoidal about chemicals, and additives. I have a box of organic protein bars on my shelf in case of ermergency (like sleeping in and running late to my frist class in the morning). I've found that since cutting out the food chock-full of preservatives, I feel better, and my body works better.

- Read the Lables, and learn your servings. Look at the Ingredients so you are consious of what you are putting into your body. You're only as good as the fuel you put in your body. You don't put Gas in a Diesel engine car, and you shouldn't put crap into your body.

- Be Honest with yourself about what your eating. If your eating crap and you know it, then you have to make the change if you want results. Don't get discouraged if you don't see results right away, stick with it and over time it'll start to add up.

- You'll do it, if you want to do it. If you want it bad enough you'll find the motivation for it
It took me a couple months at an uncomfortable weight until i finally decided on a change. I started slowly, cutting back on certain foods and increasing others. I used to eat out a lot, and LOT of processed foods. In college I LIVED on Sidekicks, Kraft Dinner, and the Value Menu at McDonalds (or whatever its called). I gained an uncomfortable amount of weight and had to make a change.

Having since gone back to University Last year, I haven't gained weight. The pair of jeans I wore to my first class last year, I still have, and they still fit me.

- On the subject of stetch marks, I don't think they ever go away. They're like a scar, because the skin is tearing. The marks will fade from that awful purple/red color to skin color, but they don't ever go away. Some people say Vitamin E Oil helps with stretch marks, but I've personally never tried it. I've just accepted them as part of my body and let them fade themselves. Dropping weight I think, will make them less prominent, I found that anyway in certain areas of my body.

As Chissler said, don't get discouraged.
You can do it, I have faith in you.
Good Luck my friend.

- Carrot

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

Woah, thanks so much for all of that information!

I think the only reason I don't weigh more is because I never eat out, it's always home cooked food. And the only french fries I eat are baked ones without salt (high blood pressure).

I've been trying to cut down on the junk food such as chips and pizza, and instead eating carrots. I'm guessing carrots are better than those things ;P.

Thanks again for the information.

-Will

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Basilis
I think the only reason I don't weigh more is because I never eat out, it's always home cooked food. And the only french fries I eat are baked ones without salt (high blood pressure).

If you are 17 then who is buying/cooking for you? Is the rest of your family heavy as well? Your situation is a bit unique in that way, and you may want to learn to cook because when you move out on your own you may find you will eat out a lot.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Basilis
Yeah I think when I work out I exercise too hard and it discourages me because my muscles are pretty sore afterward.

The act of lifting weights is merely the ripping of the muscle. Hours after you completed working out, the muscles repair themselves and make them stronger. The more they tear, the more sore you will be afterwards.

The first few times you tear these muscles, the recovery time will be anywhere from 2-4 days and mobility with the muscle is limited. Afterwards, the recovery time is cut down to less than a day and sometimes you won't even notice. But this feeling of the ripped muscles is you should come to love as it is telling you that you are working hard.

What is your work-out regiment?

I'd recommend you do 30 minutes of cardio each time you work out. Whether you do it at the beginning or end doesn't really matter, just whatever your preference is. The key muscles to work out to improve your overall physical appearance evenly are legs, biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest and back. Within each of these core muscles are smaller muscles you will want to isolate others.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

Two questions for you.

1. Approximately how many calories do you consume per day?

2. What amount of food or calories can you eat every day and not gain any weight?

I can tell you with nearly 100% confidence that if you get the answer to these two simple questions, then the rest is easy.

Trouble is, most people not only refuse to try and calculate this, they'll also fight like a tiger to maintain their ignorance of these values.

Despite what people say most don't really want to find out because it's frightening or threatening to them to confront the reality of what they're doing.

It is, however, paradoxically, comforting to talk about it.

$.02

BTW, did you know that almost without fail those spokes models for 'Jenny Craig', (First Kirstie Alley and now Valerie Bertinelli) do not lose their weight by just doing that plan?

They both had secret surgical stomach banding or stapling operations.

Kirstie lost her spokesperson gig because even with her surgery she gained the weight back.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I can calculate the answer to one rather easily, but how do you go about finding the answer to number two?

Monitor it for a week or two and make an estimation?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hi C.

I typed out an answer but before I post (it makes a difference), can you tell me how you determine the answer to question 1, how many calories do you eat per day?

How much do you weigh now?

What type of diet do you/did you use?

(examples:
o Low fat
o Low calorie
o Low carbohydrate
o Mixed
o Transitional
o PSMF)

How many days last month did you work out?
30?
20?
16?
12?

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
How much do you weigh now?

190lbs.

What type of diet do you/did you use?

I monitor my calorie and fat intake, but I've never paid much attention to carbs. My intake each day I'd have to monitor for a few days as I'm not really sure of a number off hand. As for my diet, I'd say Mixed as it can be all over the place. As I said, I eat out a few times a week.

How many days last month did you work out?
30?
20?
16?
12?

I typically work out anywhere from 4-6 times a week. I shoot for 5 but sometimes I'll get ambitious or sometimes I'll take a day off. If you're looking for a specific number, I'd say five times a week.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

My mom buys the food and cooks it, seeing as how I still depend on my parents to do that. Nope, they aren't overweight like me. I think the reason I am is because of being so inactive. I've never been good at sports. =P

----
reply to post by chissler

My workout regiment? Well, the CrossBow I use has those plastic bars that represent weight through how hard they are to bend. I usually use 300 pounds worth of them to do bench presses. And other things which my dad showed me how to do that I'm not sure of the name

It's hard to do certain workouts with it since their aren't many guides I can find for help on it.

----
reply to post by Badge01

I'm not sure about either of those questions, but I I'll try to find out. It really depends a lot of the time, though. I think Monday all I had was 3 things of 180 calorie yogurts, and a can of chicken soup.

Other times I'll eat way more than I'm supposed to. Not sure why. =[

-Will

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I'm working on a reply to you. More later and probably some as a U2U (Some personal diet info I don't think needs to be on open forum)

Thanks for the input.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Two Words...Wii Fit...

My wife and I have been doing this, and so far, it's pretty fun... Nothing like exercising but while playing a video game, to keep you interested.

I'm similar...don't eat all that much (rarely eat breakfast, a pretty normal lunch, and a decent dinner, not a lot of snacks, don't even usually have them in the house), so not sure quite how I put on some pounds...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Basilis

are you american and do you eat alot of meat and chicken?

not sure if most people are aware but the amount of bovine steroids and chicken steroids in their food has a detrimental effect on development so if your mum was on a diet of these kinds of food your DNA might already be preconditioned to be rather big.. just a thought

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
that's an interesting point...

Almost every meal I eat has chicken or beef, and I've always been stronger than I looked... Great...been 'roidin' all this time...
It really wouldn't surprise me... Apparently, the formula I had as a babe was banned for just that reason (later on of course)...or so I was told, but haven't really done the research, as mom is a bit fuzzy on it...

Of course, I can't imagine eating a meal that doesn't have some kind of meat involved... I wouldn't mind doing more seafood, but with the current economy...I think we'll see more and more unhealthy eating, as lets face it, starches and chicken are cheap...even beef when compared to seafood....

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Isn't the Wii Fit great?

I've played it several times and loved it. Some of the strength training activities really work. I underestimated it completely. The Yoga activities aren't my style, but I've done a few for the hell of it.

More than just the basic exercising activities, the games are a lot of fun that can get your heart pumping.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CA_Orot
I have a few more things to add, (as a girl who watches her weight).

- Watch your Salt Intake. Increasing your sodium levels means your body retains water, which means you can feel bloated and the number on the scale will increase - which is the opposite of what you're trying to do.

Sorry to pick on ya Carot.
While it's true that sodium causes water retention, it's also true that Insulin causes sodium retention. Sodium retention can occur even while maintaining a sodium defecient diet. Normally, if you intake too much sodium, your body will excrete it.

-Hydrate. Hydrate. Hydrate. Now everyone tells you you should get about 8 glasses of water a day - and they are correct. The Water flushes toxins out of your body, keeps your cells nice and moist (i dont think thats the scientific term for it), and helps with digestion.

Are they really correct in suggesting 8 glasses of water a day? I suggest anyone reading this to do some research and find out who originally said this as it's become a mantra that is repeated by everyone, yet no one knows why....

Also, drinking too much water during a meal can cause indigestion. A good rule of thumb is to just drink when you're thirsty.

Watch the Sugar (Especially Refined Sugar - White Sugar, Icing Sugar). Now, I didn't do all that well in my HS Science classes, so I can't tell you the exact chemical reaction that occurs in the body when Sugar is introduced... I know that somehow that Sugar gets stored or turned into Fat, which is what you are trying to avoid).

I'll agree with that. Remember that little guy that causes sodium retention? Yeah, Insulin. It's needed to lower blood sugar. So eating carbs will actually stimulate insulin secretion, cause sodium retention and then water retention. :shk:

And yes, insulin is also responsible for storing excess nutrients, in the form of saturated fat. So when you eat those carbs, if you don't immediately burn them for energy-say after a workout or when you first wake up-you'll just end up storing that sugar as fat.

That's two strikes for Insulin...

* Fruits have Natural Sugar in them, and are good for you - but eating excess amounts of fruit is not. Having a healthy balance between foods is a good idea.

Well, overeating anything is bad for you. Consider this: Fruit contains fructose, which does not digest the same way as glucose and does not spike blood sugar, and, fruit contains fiber which slows the absorption of sugar into the bloodstream.

* Instead of French Fries, maybe try a Baked Potatoe or Steamed Vegetables.

The only difference between a large order of fries and a large baked potato is, fat content. Both of them will spike blood sugar and contribute to fat gain.

- Don't set unrealistic goals for yourself, otherwise you will become discouraged. (Trust me, I did this and I ended up gaining back all the weight i had lost.

Good advice. I would add that a goal is only an idea until it's written down. Right it down and imagine yourself looking like you know you'll turn out to be.

* If you end up over-doing it one day, make up for it the next day by getting back on track. So what if you had cheesecake for breakfast? Tomorrow get back on track, and don't beat yourself up over it. It's not worth it to make yourself upset about it.

Another cool trick, save that cheesecake for after a workout. Your body will use every bit of sugar in that cheesecake for energy and you won't store any.

If I'm having a craving for Chocolate or Chips or something, I'll buy a small bag of chips, or one of those 100 Calorie ones at the checkstand, which keeps me from over-indulging.

The best way to control carb cravings is by buying some L-Glutamine powder and just mix some with water whenever that craving comes about. It works wonders.

Wish I would have found this thread earlier. I'll have to add more later...

-Dev

[edit on 11-2-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

top topics

join