It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

...You blew the title 'cause you've been smokin' weed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Very true. I believe the only time an athletes performanced may be affected is if they get very lit up before a game.

It is no more of a gateway drug than alcohol and tobacco. Those who tried A and T before age 12 are very likely to move on to the heavy drugs.

[Edited on 8-4-2004 by jrod]

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
They teach fractions in school for a reason

Yeah, I thought it might turn out something like that. I try to avoid doing the math and just blindly draw conclusions. Life's interesting that way.

Deny Ignorance?!
The Dumb Guy

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Everyone makes mistakes. I thought for a second you were correct, but I had this little nagging that just said "Come on man, that can't be right!"

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Everyone makes mistakes.

Yah, dude, an' I'm so frickin' high right now... I'd probably make that mistake again! *smacks self in face with Vans*

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
well first off, they'l throw out any tear jerking awe grasping ad they can to prevent smoking. its pretty sad. I know alot of people who have been majorly screwed over by mj, and i know alot of others who haven't! It's just like EVERYTHING ELSE. Abuse it and youll get slapped by somebody. Be safe about it and no one could be the wiser.

And the drug tests on sports teams? lame. most people i know actually know the dates of the tests, so they take a month off. or they don't even take tests! heres some roganizations that dont give drug tests:
cheerleading
volleyball
golf
tennis
etc

just about everything but basketball and football get off scratch free.

but ya know, thats just here at my school...so you never know.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Ohhhhh. Don't get me started on this subject. I feel a rant coming on....

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
If you look at professional athletes, drug testing is a joke...the majority of them use some kind of banned substance that they are all tested over, but the ones who are chosen for random testing are usually given the heads up by a coach or trainer, and there are many ways to fake them, or make sure the tester is looking the other way when they actually take the test. If they get busted it is usually very rare...and I don't think occasional marijuana use would be any worse (maybe better) than a drinking problem, which is much more common.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Its proven, If a person has practice he/she can do anything just as good as someone thats not been smoking.

Use the search function, on this site. There are atleast two really good threads on Pot.

Here are some links for people that think its all bad for you.
Los Angeles -- Smoking marijuana will certainly affect perception, but it does not cause permanent brain damage, researchers from the University of California at San Diego said on Friday in a study.
"The findings were kind of a surprise. One might have expected to see more impairment of higher mental function," said Dr. Igor Grant, a UCSD professor of psychiatry and the study's lead author. Other illegal drugs, or even alcohol, can cause brain damage.
cannabisnews.com...

MARIJUANA CAUSES BRAIN DAMAGE

Critics state that marijuana has been shown to damage brain cells and that this damage, in turn, causes memory loss, cognitive impairment, and difficulties in learning.

THE FACTS

The original basis of this claim was a report that, upon postmortem examinations, structural changes in several brain regions were found in two rhesus monkeys exposed to THC. 51 Because these changes primarily involved the hippocampus, a cortical brain region known to play an important role in learning and memory, this finding suggested possible negative consequences for human marijuana users.

www.erowid.org...
CLAIM #3:
MARIJUANA IS A DRUG WITHOUT THERAPEUTIC VALUE

Proposals to make marijuana legally available as a medicine are countered with claims that safer, more effective drugs are available, including a synthetic version of delta-9-THC, marijuana's primary active ingredient.

THE FACTS

For thousands of years, throughout the world, people have used marijuana to treat a variety of medical conditions. 10

Today, in the United States, such use is prohibited. Although 36 states have passed legislation to allow marijuana's use as a medicine, federal law preempts their making marijuana legally available to patients.
www.erowid.org...

www.cannabis.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Lets think about this. What if weed was legal? What would happen? Probaly the same thing as smoking. Athletes that smoke do worse in both cases so there salary would go down. Restaurants and hotels will have weed and no weed sections. The legal age will probaly be 18.Etcetera

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If weed were legal:

1. Alcohol consumption would drop, hurting that industry.
2. Analgesic and other pain medicine consumption would drop, hurting that industry.
3. Hemp would again be used for textiles and paper, hurting those industries.
4. About 60% of the prison population in the US could go free, hurting the Prison Industry and the Law Enforcement Industry by reducing how much they can confiscate from citizens.

Add to these the fact that the Govenment has no way to tax MJ or regulate the quality of it since it can be easily grown by the average citizen.

For these reasons, it will never be legal. There is too much money to lose.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
If weed were legal:

4. About 60% of the prison population in the US could go free, hurting the Prison Industry and the Law Enforcement Industry by reducing how much they can confiscate from citizens.

Are you saying that 60% of the prison population is there becasue of pot only? I don't think that is correct. That 60% you are mentioning did something else besides have pot in their posession, or am I reading you incorrectly?

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
If weed were legal:

2. Analgesic and other pain medicine consumption would drop, hurting that industry.

Damn straight, brother. Marijuana is illegal because it's much more profitable that way. It's a war over money.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Actually that 60% includes all non-violent drug offenses, not Pot only. I stand corrected. This is expected to increase by-the-way

www.sentencingproject.org...

However, I will argue that many other people are in prison for crimes relating to the fact that drugs are illegal.

I stand by my original post in which I gave the reasons why Pot won't be legalized.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I see what you are saying Ambient. That makes sense. 60% are non-violent drug offenders. When you say it like that, I tend to agree with you.

That is pretty sad that all of those people are jailed for this. In California, there was a law passed about non-ciolent drug offenders and not jailing them, but try to rehabilitate them. I think Robert Downey Jr fell into this category and that is probably one of the reasons he has stayed out of jail.

Maybe some other states should try to rehabilitate non-violent drug offenders and see what happens.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

If weed were legal:

Ambient, You have no idea how happy I am to read this information. I am going to be giving a speech in my college communications class in a few weeks on legalization of marijuana. If anyone has any links to sources that could help me out I would greatly appreciate it if you would post them here or U2U them to me.

Insite, thanks for posting this alternate view on the commercials. Are those from the truth series of commercials? If so I was thinking I would be able to download one and us it in my speech adding a little humor and useful information to the speech.

On a side note about the use of marijuana, I know for a fact that if I was to have it on me when driving I wouldn't be driving recklessly. In fact, I would be willing to say that if I had marijuana on me I would be in the top 90% of drivers out there. First of all, if was ever to drive under the influence of marijuana, (not that I would) I would most likely be driving kind of slow compared to everyone else. Second, if I was to drive with any marijuana on me I wouldn't be breaking any laws in fear that I might get pulled over.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Here is a like to the site that has those commercials here

And here is a link to a report cannabis news did on their anti-drug campaign here

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
esoteric, I think you failed statistics class

given the information you are unable to come to your conclusion based on the following

1 out of 3 (1/3) of reckless drivers tested positive for THC.

so therefore out of 90 reckless drivers 30 should test positive for THC being that 30/90 = 1/3

The following information is missing

The total # of Drivers

The total # of infractions or the total number of reckless driving infraction as a percetage compared to other infractions

The total # of drivers with no offenses that test positive for THC

The total # of drivers with no offenses that test negative for THC.

If for example the total driver population was 10,000
and the total number of reckless driving infractions was 1,000 (300 of those testing postive for THC)
and the total number of infractions was 6,000 so reckless driving accounted for only 1/6th of the total infractions
and if sampled of all 6,000 infractions only 10% were attributed to drivers testing postive for THC (600)
and if sampled out of 10,000 drivers that 1/3 of them tested positive for THC (3,333)

Then the ratio for drivers testing positive for THC would be .180018 % or roughly 1 in 5 drivers testing positive for THC would receive tickets

While the remaing drivers (6,667) of them accounted for 5,400 infractions or .8099595 % or 1 in 1.25 drivers testing negative for THC would receive tickets.

So based on the only given ratio of 1 out of 3. The stats would show that drivers testing positive for THC are less likely to recieve tickets.

Even if you increase the or decrease the percentage of the total number of drivers that would test positive of THC - the original 1/3 ratio will still always calculate in their favor that they get LESS tickets as a percentage of the total number of drivers.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This link should give you everything you need for your project.
www.norml.org...

Another good resource is the documentary "WEED". If you can find it I suggest checking it out. It was on one of the movie channels a couple weeks ago(not sure wich one).

Good luck!

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
First:

Originally posted by jrod
Smoking weed makes you lazy, clouds ones thoughts, and leads to junk food. If you dont think it clouds your thoughts just read some of the crap ive posted.

Just had to post that one more time... that was great!

I JUST got a bag-o-shwagg-o (yuck
) and logged on to read some threads... I just happened to read that right when my brain turned to mush lol.

Originally posted by Shoktek
If you look at professional athletes, drug testing is a joke...the majority of them use some kind of banned substance that they are all tested over, but the ones who are chosen for random testing are usually given the heads up by a coach or trainer, and there are many ways to fake them, or make sure the tester is looking the other way when they actually take the test. If they get busted it is usually very rare...and I don't think occasional marijuana use would be any worse (maybe better) than a drinking problem, which is much more common.

I was rolling... seeing Arnold smiling about what you just said!

Originally posted by nyarlathotep

I mean let's face it, marijuana is the "stepping stone" drug. Most kids you try it go onto to coke and so on. For me, I never did go past that stage and maybe you too, if you do smoke. However, I think that a lot of kids may try other drugs after trying pot.

Actually, think about it... where do you go to get weed and hash? Where do you go to get coke? Where do you go to get meth, sometimes? (meth dealers, luckily, pretty much stick to their own crowd). If you could just walk down the street to the coffeeshop and pick up a couple grams of smoke and go home, you think alot of these people would do other stuff because they toked up first? It would get treated like alchohol, and probably with quite a bit more respect. It hits you fast, where alcohol hits slow and you could be on your way home and end up passing out before you get home, for example.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no harm done in an anti-drug tv commercial

True, I do agree... but they get pretty far out there with them alot of the time... like the 'Brains on Drugs' commercials? C'mon now... frying eggs? That was rediculous... and unfortunatly alot of people read into it a little too deep. Thank Nancy Reagan's war on drugs crap for that.

I remember seeing the one showing two brain signals, saying one was a normal person's brain activity, and the other was a pot smoker's brain activity... someone else mentioned it in an earlier thread on this, I'll post link at bottom. The 'pot smoker' brain signal was actually the brain signal of someone in a coma, I believe. It got yanked quick. I think I saw it like 3 or 4 times on MTV way back when... They really do stretch sometimes, don't they?

marijuana
I love that thread... it gets pretty intense at times... and that from a small paragraph, lol.

[Edited on 15-4-2004 by Earthscum]

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Earthscum
The 'pot smoker' brain signal was actually the brain signal of someone in a coma, I believe. It got yanked quick. I think I saw it like 3 or 4 times on MTV way back when... They really do stretch sometimes, don't they?

For real? That's insane..I mean, false advertising to the max right there.

But on the thread, I just thought of something. I'm surprised that my shcool puts so much pressure on the football and basketball players, but they aren;t going right to the source.....the soccer players.

DONT EVEN DENY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU KNOW ITS TRUE!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join