It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History Channel Premiere - Nostradamus 2012

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

History Channel

Part 1
www.youtube.com...

Part 2
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

No offense, but Nostradamus is crap. Nothing he wrote made a lick of sense. After the sorry program they aired last year on his lost books, the channel really needs to look for more relevant programming.

When your dealing with the subconcious, nothing makes sense, thats the point.

Only the man himself knows what he means by them, and he is long gone.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Hey everyone, here is the youtube link to the show, haven't watched it myself so can't comment yet.

Nostradamus: 2012 Part 1 (1/4/09)

ps. just want to say ATS is great and has taught me alot about many subjects and this will hopefully be the 1st of many posts!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I've spent a couple of years now intensely researching 2012 for our film 2012: Science or Superstition (official movie site) and I feel that connecting Nostradamus and 2012 is a total stretch supported only by some very unconvincing interpretations of Nostradamus' quatrains and drawings from his so-called "Lost Book."

History Channel's two-hour special kicking off “Armageddon Week” claims that 16th Century soothsayer Nostradamus warned of apocalypse in 2012, and if that’s not enough, then try the Egyptians, the Freemasons and yes, the ancient civilization that actually did have something to say about 2012, the Maya, in southern Mexico and northern Central America. Throughout we hear ominous music and dramatic narration warning of global apocalypse.

This follows a holiday movie schedule in which it was hard to avoid dramatic teaser ads for Roland Emmerich’s (The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day) summer 2009 end-times disaster movie, "2012."

We decided to make a documentary film to counterbalance this apocalyptic hype. We just launched it exclusively on Apple’s iTunes store and is already # 1 on the bestselling documentaries chart. (iTunes link)

We asked leading researchers, writers and scientists in the field to tell us exactly what this date means to them, why it’s important, and what we should expect. These award-winning authors, historians, scholars, professors, archaeologists, astronomers and journalists – many of whom offer varying and sometimes conflicting perspectives -- include: Dr. Anthony F. Aveni, Robert Bauval (“The Orion Mystery”, “The Egypt Code”), Walter Cruttenden (The Great Year, an award-winning PBS doc narrated by James Earl Jones, “Lost Star of Myth and Time”), Benito Venegas Duran, Graham Hancock (“Supernatural”, “Fingerprints of the Gods”), John Major Jenkins (“Maya Cosmogenesis 2012”, “Galactic Alignment”), Lawrence E. Joseph (“Apocalypse 2012”), Jim Marrs (“Above Top Secret”, “Rule By Secrecy”), Alonso Mendez, Daniel Pinchbeck (“2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl”), Douglas Rushkoff, Dr. Alberto Villoldo (“Shaman, Healer, Sage)” and John Anthony West.

I hope enough people watch it so that we can convince people that Roland Emmerich and the History Channel aren't telling a true story!

[edit on 6-1-2009 by disinformation]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I heard that most of Nostradamus' poems were not true.... is that a correct statement???????

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thats for each person to decide. Some believe, some don't. And they're quatrains, not poems.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JimmyBlonde

No doubt the guy thought he was seeing the future and that makes his writing compelling in it's own right but I will tell you one thing. It doesn't take a genius or a prophet to predict where mankind is headed.

I tried to read Nostradamus’ book when I was in college many years ago. It was hopeless. Just as Mein Kampf was a failure for me. And Das Kapital and the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx. And etc for all the classic German writers.

Like also the Holy Bible. All written by and for people living in totally different eras. 8,000 miles distant. 2,000 years separated. One culture "talking" to a third culture through an intermediary culture. How can we know anything about the Holy Bible that is applicable to today? How can any honest person claim those are RULES to live by today?

For instance, can you just imagine how much nicer the world would be if the person who named the first book of the Pentateuch had called it “Origins of the Israelite People” instead of calling it “Genesis?” But you can also see how convenient a ONE word title is and in this case, a catchy word at that!

To further illustrate my point I enjoy retelling the story of Jesus and Legion as found in Mark 5:9 and etc. Jesus and others were walking towards a city when they encountered a naked man who was unkept and lived in a cave. To us today he was obviously a very sick man but post Sigmund Freud, treatable. Engaging him in conversation, Jesus learned he was afflicted with demons. Multiple personalities. The man asked Jesus to help him. Jesus consented.

Whether Legion was the man’s name or the writer was merely referring to a large number of demons is unclear. 2,000 is the number mentioned. Aside: A standard Roman Legion of that era varied in size but usually numbered at least 3,200 men strong. End. But dead-on accuracy is not a hallmark of good story tellers. It is the story that is being told and not the numbers that matter.

For reasons never explained Jesus performed a THREE step exorcism on Legion (assuming that was his name). Step 1) Jesus removed the demons from Legion but then Step 2) he put the demons into a nearby herd of grazing pigs. Step 3) The pigs went instantly mad, ran down a hill, fell or jumped over a cliff and into the sea - the Sea of Galilee? Because pigs cannot swim those diving into the water drowned and thereby killed the demons. [Following the example of Jesus why don't Christian psychiatrists or Catholic priests keep pigs in their office?]

Unlikely you say? Since Sigmund Freud we no longer believe in demons or demon possession. We know better than the folks in the First Century of the Common Era. We can assume however that the person or persons to whom the writer of Mark spent a lot of money on the velum to record this story, would know and understand the message contained in the story. With the high cost of writing material in the olden days they did not doodle idly.

What lesson for today can we glean from this fanciful story? For one we already knew Jews don’t like pigs. That’s why the herd was pigs and not the more likely sheep or goats. Jewish dietary laws were upheld by Jesus. Digression: I am an unreconstructed WASP and for me, pork is best. Give me a BLT for breakfast and a pork barbecue sandwich with hot mustard based sauce for lunch any day! And throw in a deep fried ear of corn on the cob for my veggie. Eat healthy I say.

Next and unfortunately, we know from the story Jesus had no regard for the owner of the herd of pigs. The pigs surely were not his. We also know another item of interest. Keeping in mind that it is neigh on to impossible to manage a herd of 2,000 pigs in that era. Heck, it’s improbable even in this era. To confine that many pigs to one place back then would require at least 10 to 20 men. That casts serious doubts the writer of Mark meant the story to be taken literally.

So why did not Jesus just snap his fingers - or make the sign of the cross - and say to Legion, “Be healed, go in peace.” We don’t know. Why don’t we know? Because we don’t know a hill of beans - an old southern expression for to next to nothing - about life in the First Century along the eastern coast of the great Mediterranean Sea. Which by the way was the center of the universe to those people. We don’t know what message the writer was trying to convey. Unless it was don’t keep pigs with Jesus around!

We cannot make heads or tails (tales) out of the “Legion and the pigs” story. Yet it must have meant something to those to whom it was addressed and to the inhabitants around the region for a very long time. If not, it would not have been incorporated into what came later to be the Holy Writ. But for us, it is an historical anomaly. Like 99% of the Holy Writ is to us. And not to be taken too seriously today lest we stray into deep do-do.

[edit on 1/7/2009 by donwhite]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
reply to post by JimmyBlonde

No doubt the guy thought he was seeing the future and that makes his writing compelling in it's own right but I will tell you one thing. It doesn't take a genius or a prophet to predict where mankind is headed.

I tried to read Nostradamus’ book when I was in college many years ago. It was hopeless. Just as Mein Kampf was a failure for me. And Das Kapital and the Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx. And etc for all German writers.

Like also the Holy Bible. All written by and for people living in totally different eras. Can you just imagine how much nicer the world would be if the person who named the first book of the Pentateuch had called it “Origins of the Israelite People” instead of calling it “Genesis?” But you can see how convenient a ONE word name is and in this case, a catchy word at that!

I dont thikn anything comes near the Bible vis a vis prophecy in terms of its richness and complexity. And what makes it more than amazing is that not a single author wrote the whole Bible.. these are multiple writers over a very long span of time.

That the readers of it continuously misinterpret it or abuse it doesn't invalidate it IMHO.

I think the readers bring to the Biblical prophetcy too much cultural baggage and paradigms which cause them to read more into then what is there. I'm as guilty of that as anyone else.

I think we're stumbled on the right way to view them though... and that with the Islamic Paradigm instead the Roman Empire paradigm.

Walid Shoebat describes how Islam fits into Biblical Prophecy in this radio show

this is the "trailer" for his book "God's War on Terror"

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by VinceP1974

I don’t think anything comes near the Bible vis a vis prophecy . . that the readers of it continuously misinterpret it or abuse it doesn't invalidate it IMHO.

I think the readers bring to the Biblical prophecy too much cultural baggage and paradigms which cause them to read more into then what is there. I'm as guilty of that as anyone else.

Mr V/P4, a serious question has plagued me for years. Maybe I’m just too lazy to look it up for myself. I’m going to pose it to you and maybe you can offer me some fresh outlook?

Prophet.
Originally a wise man. Prophecy. Original meaning, the sayings of a wise man usually also an old man.

It is best understood in today’s context of mega-church “name it and claim it” religion as synonymous PROPHET for PREACHER. One who expounds. Or at times, harangues. Or admonishes. Or warns. And here we are. Slipping into FUTURE TELLING without meaning to.

I have been told that fortune telling say again future telling, was a capital offense - stoning to death - under the Law of Moses. An old rabbi once counted all the commands in the Hebrew Bible and came up with 612. That’s 602 more commands than most Christians are willing to acknowledge. But the rabbi did recognize almost all of the commands beyond the basic Ten Commandments we all hear about were related to dietary practices.

A few commands, like the one to stone to death an "unruly child" and thereby having no juvenile delinquency in the olden days, were counted in the 602. As was the one forbidding fortune telling or future telling. Or casting a horoscope. So if it is true that the Law of Moses forbade future telling, then we can safely assume the sayings of those we happily call PROPHETS were not foretelling the future but were at worst, warning of possible outcomes for disobedience and at best, speaking after the fact.

Have I been clear enough Mr V/P4, and are you sufficiently curious to confirm my hypothesis? I need you to find for me the verse in the Mosaic law commanding against fortune or future telling. Or astrology. Or casting a horoscope or divining the future.

I would also like your opinion on my proposed test of substituting PREACHER for the word PROPHET and PREACH or PREACHING for the word PROPHECY or TO PROPHESY to get a more accurate understanding of the Holy Writ.

[edit on 1/7/2009 by donwhite]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I could have written "predictions" like these watch
2 nations will wage war
there will be fire and people will die
there will be a leader that will lead a nation
it will rain

now can you see that these will come true and i can never be proven wrong. oh yeah
2012 will come and people will be upset.
that one works both ways if the world would end people will be upset except the 2012ers as sick as it is they will be happy for being right that the world is ending, if it does not end 2012ers will be upset. I should write my own book of predictions people will buy anything.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Funny how Atheist's seem to know so much about the holy Bible, huh?
I suppose that's GOD's way of making idiots read it too...

The joke is always on those who think their so damned smart.
They ALWAYS make asses of themselves in the end, ALWAYS...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
If you write down alot of vague crap your bound to be right on some of them.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by YoungStalin

Don't those voices in your head get annoying?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
Too bad someone couldn't tape it and put it on Youtube, so we could all see it. .

Oh well, too late now.

I did record it, on a DVD. But Im not going to post it up on youtube and violate copyright infringement. Someone else can do that. Sorry.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
What do you think his accuracy ratio was? Every 50,000 quatrains, he had one that hit somewhat accurate?

I think Nostradamus was great thinker, but I stand with the guy who says he can write the same stuff Nostradamus pretty much did. i.e. 2 nations will go to war, fire, people die, it'll rain, bla bla.

He was a smart man, but nothing more than perhaps a crazy doped storyteller whose stories were found and taken a little more seriously because of a couple of them seemed real.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Rubez

Thanks for the link.

I'll watch it real quick before it gets taken down.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by YoungStalin

I could have written "predictions" like these watch: “ . . nations will wage war; there will be fire and people will die; there will be a leader that will lead a nation; it will rain . . "

Right you are Mr Y/S. Taro cards; Ouija boards; numerology; the Great Pyramid; the Hebrew Bible; The Book of Revelations; the DiVinci Code; The Mayan calendar expires in 2012; Crystal balls; reading entrails; Las Vegas; state lotteries; horse racing; NYSE; NASDAQ; OTC; craps; and more.

ALL of the above have TWO
things in common. 1) They portend to foretell the future. 2) NONE of them can foretell tomorrow.

Being from Kentucky, I have always asked anyone to please tell me which horse will win the next Ky Derby. Jimmy Swaggart will not tell me. Oral Roberts Jr will not tell me, Pat Robertson will not tell me, Bene Hinn will not tell me. Joel Ostein will not tell me. James Dobson will not tell me. Joyce Meyers will not tell me.

Hmm? I do notice that all of the above make very good, say very very good livings bilking their customers! Maybe tha's what "foretelling" really means?

But I worry. Hey, do they not speak to me because I have bad breathe or has my deodorant failed?

I should write my own book of predictions people will buy anything.

Have not Tim LeHaye and his co-author - you didn’t think Tim was smart enough to write a book by himself did you? - have done that already? The child-like Left Behind series? And sold 41 million copies to his low IQ but True Believer lemmings?

[edit on 1/9/2009 by donwhite]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I watched and thought it was entertaining, and offered some new information. Although I think Nostradomus was fairly accurate for his own time period, as he sought to see further the view got cloudier. But the program mentioned the Web Bot Project, and as I'd heard of it in the 1990's as a stock-picking project, I thought I'd check it out. After reading the 2009 predictions:

www.urbansurvival.com...

I searched around and found this:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
fireballs-meteorites.blogspot.com...

It seems to me that when you look at the predictions, then look at the orbital data for 18 February, the picture is scary as hell.

For those of you who don't follow links, I'll summarize: the Web bots are predicting "global coastal events" beginning in february, going "mainstream" in april/may after whistleblowers from NASA and JPL appear, leading into a "summer of hell" with a government collapse in august. Got that?

The JPL data show an asteroid, 1999 AQ10, approaching within .0112 AU of the Earth simultaneously with a meteoroid stream and a comet projected to approach within .45 AU; all this coincides with the moon being at apogee. Boil it down and it means that there's a huge chance the moon will be struck, with ejecta falling upon the Earth beginning in February and extending throughout the summer.

Don't know about you, but I'm going to be keeping a close eye on things on the 18th.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   
i dunno, i think this seer is for real - just a gut feeling. . . .

that episode about his "lost books" was interesting mostly because they weren't actually sure that it was his work - because it was illustrations, not words - even though he was listed as the author in the library where it was found and somewhat resonated his 'style'. .
but still i think he's fascinating

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by disinformation

Hello there my friend nice to see you here tis I Bruce from 2012 Rising.com.

I will post the link to the review I wrote on 2012 Science or Superstition

2012rising.com...

Hope we can chat soon I am still formulating the interview questions for you guys, probably be this Sunday.

Best

Bruce

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join