It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Right - Not to good at this, but if you needed a list of things to survive from a shop what would it be .... (this would be a build up of world matters a bit like survivors on bbc1 UK).

example - cheap generator - hideout, tents, gas, etc,.

Thanks for your help.

Vesta

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Not having seen Survivors I wouldn't be able to advise you move to Manchester.

Now I have the joke out the way may I suggest that you browse the Survival forum. There are plenty of threads on many different aspects. You'll be able to dip in and out and get a better general overview before any of the more established posters (not me BTW) have to retread old ground.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

Yeakssssss you are not telling me to move to Moss side...LOL cause that would be total survival there!!!!!! LOL

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If you want a good idea what to get from a post-apocalyptic world like in the BBC series Survivor, then you can do no worse than check out the many threads/posts and forums that deal with Mutant Zombies.

I know it sounds #, but the Zombie threads cover the 'purloining' of goods from shops, towns and cities very well and are usually well thought out.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Survival?? Oh that's easy...

You just have to become a trillionaire by raping the earth of it's natural resources, Use your new found wealth to control the first world governments, use said governments to create wars in which you will profit from both sides ( don't forget to use radio active toxic waste in your munitions, this way you cut the cost of treating it AND you can sell it!.... PROFIT!!! we're talking some REAL PROFIT here!! ) and be sure in creating monumental amounts of pollution in your persuite to control the planet. Then, after you've screwed over the entire planet, you can build a shelter deep in the mountains and fill it with enough supplies to last you for decades.

- cynical

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Thanks Wotan, will look

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

Nah, the Kersal area of Salford!

I hear Moss-side is quite (comparatively) nice these days.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kreese

Cheers Kreese,

Noted the become a trillionaire........would love to but not!...still your input was thanked

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

First of all, what situations do you think you will need to be surviving ???
Sitx = situation x. a sitx could be flooding, storms, civil unrest, war etc

Once you have given yourself a list of what you expect to face in the future then you can begin to plan for each.

Then you have, either stay at home survival like if the power fails etc or the bugging out survival, where it might just not be safe to at home any longer.

Again this two scenario's will require a different approach and different equipment.

Do a search on Bugging out and or the bug out bag ( BOB ) for ideas of what to do and what you may need if you have to leave.

There is a chap called Northern Raider, he has many documents that will help in planning for survival both at home and out of the home.
He will be along this thread and he always has very sound advice.

Basically before you start purchasing equipment you need to think everything through. Stay at home survival will include food supplies, water, heating, health, security, this is not in any particular order.

Bugging out survival will require many skills.

Again search this survival board for hints, tips and useful info.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Categories of a possible Situation X

(Copy and paste the list to a wordprocesser program and then print out)

Tick all the boxes you think may apply to you and to where you live.

NATURAL DISASTERS

 Avalanche
 Coldfront
 Drought
 Earthquake
 Flood
 Fire (brushfire)
 Heatwave
 Hurricane – Severe Storm – Typhoon
 Landslide
 Snow – Snowstorm – Blizzard – Whiteout
 Tornado
 Tsunami – Tidal Wave
 Volcano – Lava – Pyroclastic Flow

LAW, TERRORISM and WAR

 Biological Warfare
 Chemical Warfare
 Civil Unrest – Mob Rule – Looting
 Civil War
 Crime – Gang War
 Genocide – Ethnic/racial Cleansing
 Global War
 Martial Law – Curfew
 National Emergency – Civil and Military
 Nuclear Warfare – Dirty Bombs
 Regional War
 Sabre Rattling – Military Standoff/posturing
 Terrorist Attacks

ECONOMIC & DOMESTIC

 Commodity Shortages – Food, Fuel, Medical Supplies, etc
 Chemical Spillage
 Fire (domestic)
 Hyper Inflation
 Industrial Action
 Interest Rate Rise – Mortgage Shortfall – Negative Equity
 Job Loss – Loss of Income
 Power Shortages – Blackouts, Power Breakage
 Transport Problems – Aircraft, Boats, Rail, Road – Bad weather, strikes, accidents
 Vehicle Breakdown

HEALTH RELATED

 Birth (non-hospital)
 Disease
 Heart Attack – CPR
 Pandemic
 Plague
 Trauma – Severe Wounds
 Virus

Look at the list above and think back over the past 10 to 20 years to see if some of these events have happened to YOU or in the area where YOU live.

It makes you think, doesn’t it?

Your list should then give you an idea on which direction you may want to stock up on. Some things will be standard no matter what the situation x.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by vesta

If we're talking urban survival and the need to aquire resources by purchase or looting, a commodity high on the list would be cooking oil and would be overlooked by the majority of folk

Once its past use for cooking it can be filtered and used to run a diesel generator or vehicle

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Hi Wotan
Was more chatting on the events of the current climate regarding the world and not natural events...(sorry I did not make myself so clear)

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think you will find a scenario you are looking for in my list somewhere, I think I covered all of them except Mutant Zombies.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
An interesting perspective, someone asking for a ready made list of survival equipment, and starts his list with the word " cheap" as in cheap generator, This does not inspire much confidence when you have someone unprepared to research his own kit list requirements and seeks to do it on the cheap.

top topics

join