It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Audio engineers & digital music producers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Looking for insight amongst the audibly talented.

I've been editing, sampling and engineering music from "scratch" for a few years now. I'm a closet producer (amateur). It is only a hobby, don't plan on making any type of "profit ventures" out of it.
I mostly work with instrumentals in alternative hip hop sounds, or ambient electronic sounds.
I only work with one program right now and it sucks. FL-Studios 7 ( i tried to upgrade to 8 and it didn't work out) When I get back to the states I'm getting an Akai MPC, and will be working with that. I hear getting an Apple is a good investment. Me and a friend both have the same taste and will be collaborating on some things in the future.
Havn't messed with the turntables and mixing, but It sounds like something I could get into

Feel free to share any tips, stories, or suggestions for equipment, or even some good bands out there.

Some good music: - Thievery corporation, Mark Farina, DJ shadow, Amon Tobin, sound providers, K-murdock, headnodic

My snippets are on soundclick!
www.soundclick.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Fl studio is a decent program.

Compared to Steinberg pro-24 on an Atari 1040ste when I started up.

Tips?
Compression is your friend.
If I had to ditch every other fx I'd keep the compressor.

If you want an upgrade to an inexpensive all in one type sequencer,I'd say you couldn't get better than Adobe Audition
www.adobe.com...

The multiband compressor is worth the price alone,totally user friendly and superb results.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Compression can also be a killer. You can do more harm with a compressor than good by using too much compression. A compressor, just as the name says, compresses the audio waveform, and is analogus to compressing a file. You are basically removing frequency response and amplitude if a compressor is used improperly.

The best use for a compressor is to help eliminate any colorization in the audio waveform. Combined with a notch EQ which is tunable is also a perfect companion to a compressor.

Another good audio chain tool is the leveler. If adjusted right, it can work together with the compressor and notch EQ to help maintain frequency response.

The most mis-understood use of a compressor, or a leveler, or a limiter is to maintain audio levels. The best thing to do is to adjust your signal so that by itself (dry), the levels just touch the 0 (digital) or just tap into the +1 or +2 (analog). Then sparsely use the processors to tame those peaks, but not so much as to chomp up your frequency response.

A good audio spectrum analyzer is a must for any serious audio mastering. The audio spectrum analyzer can help you maintain those frequency envelopes so that they are nice a fat, but not oversaturating in peaks and not overtaking each other.

A phase correction processor is also a useful tool to have in the chain, especially one with a visual indicator to maintain proper phase between your channels both before and during the final mastering mix.

Use studio grade monitors with the absolute most flat frequency response curve possible. Many audio mixing buffs overlook this most important part of the audio chain. The monitor speaker is the weakest element in your entire audio chain. If you do not use the proper monitor speaker systems, you will end up with a sound on your mix that will not represent what you are hearing. Also use a good zero switching amplifier as these have the widest and flat frequency response and very low noise. Switching amps can introduce switch harmonics in your audio chain and cause harmonic artifacts to end up on your tracks and final mixes.

Above all else, mix down in an environment completely isloated from noise from outside or indoor noises.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

I'm bout to head to sleep, but Adobe Audition sounds like I would get a fuller sound, more professional. using edison inside FL, I still havn't figured out how to record my projects without them sounding almost inaudible, real low-quality, I have to double up on sequences just to hear it. I think it has something to do with the sample rate.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Definitely.
Some of the worst mixes I've heard are from trying to use a single band compressor across the whole mix.= Amateur DJ city.

You can get quite a lot of musical effects using them,but that ear sucking 'pumping' sound isn't one one my faves.
They can also wreck your speakers,taking the mix to the maximum db for the entire track doesn't treat your coils very nicely.

reply to post by juveous

I'm guessing you mean the sample section of edison.

On the sampler channel there is a normalize button
(in the precomputed effects section)
which should take your recorded sounds to the maximum output.ie the loudest peak on your sampled recording to 0db.

Don't forget,also at the bottom there is an 'in' and 'out' gain knob.
I'm only saying coz they',re small and default to the minimum setting on both,which might explain a quiet track output from them.

Hope something in there helps.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
A great program is Propellerhead's Reason 4.0. I use it - you can here some samples on www.myspace.com.... There are pre-set mastering settings and you also have full capability of creating your own. It's quite a user friendly program and you really get out of it what you put into it. Plus, for people who have little or no knowledge of signal flow you can also route your equipment. Keep me in the loop on your future projects!

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
lucifer is a pretty awesome programmable gate filter program if you are really into the techno thing.

top topics

join