It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all you BLEEPING ATSers BLEEP YOU !!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Haha, you really had me on that one.

Point made.

I wonder why the first thing anybody ever thinks happens to be bad? Must have to do with the society we live in, and how were taught to think. To always be on guard for the bad but never really for the good. I mean isn't that what just happened by me reading that? I automatically thought holy crap this guy is really censoring something.

Its like if the Israelis and Palistinians suddenly threw down both their guns and shook hands - nobody would know what to think. Everybody (except the odd people who automatically expect the opposite) would be so surprised.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConMi27
Haha, you really had me on that one.

Point made.

I wonder why the first thing anybody ever thinks happens to be bad?

How about the fact that when reading the sentence, you can't help but to subconsciously replace "bleep" with a noun, adjective or verb.

Look at the OP - bleep is one word, so you are expecting to make sense of the sentence with another word. ahh but the "unedited version" replaces bleeping or bleep with something out of natural context.

example:

- To all you (thoughtful) = thoughtful = adjective
- To all you (bleeping) = bleeping = adjective
ok no problem.

- (BLEEP) you! - bleep = noun
- (Thank) you! - thank = verb
but knowing bleep is a euphemism for something bad, you will come up with the verb that fits.

"And to all the BLEEPING moderators" = 1 word adjective.
"And to all the (hard working) = 2 words?

Most of the OP matches up for an alternative explanation, but as the paragraph is read you subconscious will put it in context and find bleep can make sense single words to replace them and you know some "bad" ones that fit.

Everyone should have fell for this (thought bad words) unless you are the kind of person who naturally second guesses everything you read for an alternative meaning.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by juveous]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
You had me at BLEEP....apologies to Jerry Maguire.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
You know what, BLEEP you too! If you don't agree with us at ATS then go find another website. The Illuminati are going to BLEEP you in the end.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I almost hit the ALERT button... Not a very nice thread, just taking up bandwith and you have said nothing about which threads have kept you awake or anything pertinent. I did not like it, not one bit. I will not be back.

what? are you kidding? did u even read the end? that's what's wrong with this site is people like you who are so quick to dismiss something. "i almost hit the alert button" hahhahahaha...play mod somewhere else, i think ours have it under control. this is a great thread, it really is telling about our psychology and way of thinking, it's kind of like how if a man offers you his hand you are 9 times out of 10 going to shake it efore you even think about it. THIS IS A NICE THREAD....how could you say otherwise? it is applauding great mods and posters alike, and praising the thoughtful things we are able to discuss here. THIS IS THE GREATEST IDEA FOR A THREAD I HAVE READ ALL WEEK LONG. star and flag to the OP, and i'd like to add a thinker like you to my friend list ANYDAY. and to antar, you won't be back because of this thread? that's a shame, because despite your lack of a funny bone i'd like to think you could contribute something here on ATS and take something away as well, why pidgeon hole yourself into the Scrooge category? oh well, can't win 'em all.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by hikix
Well, I see two points of view... the pissed off member who either just got banned or got his thread shut down... or the complete kiss-ass member who feels they have to praise the owners and moderators every chance they get.

Here's to the regular users who come here for info and to have some fun:

Thank you ATS for providing us with free entertainment and alternative news on a daily basis!

this wasn't fun? c'mon. my point of view sides with this being fun and he praises the "regular users" as well as the mods. I don't see this as anything a "regular user" (a regular ATS user...hmmmm...that is kind of an oxy-moron but oh well) noting in this a "regular user" will be opposed to. looks to me like you are looking for something to complain about.
also:what's the difference between kissing the mods butts and kissing the "regular users" butts?
all smells the same.
enjoy!

[edit on 5-1-2009 by Enigma Publius]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Perception is 9/10ths of the FLAW as much as possession is 9/10ths of the Law...

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by deepred

Oh for Fox Lake!!
Just SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I have to put my lot in with the posters who say this was more of a trick. This little prank has nothing to do with 'perception'. It's nothing more than a verbal/semantic trick. As others have said before, by substituting the word 'BLEEP,' there is a strong suggestion that the words omitted are objectionable.

Additionally, someone who was writing a letter to compliment and thank someone wouldn't use the phrases and sentence structure (semantics) this person did. For example:

If all you (kind) ATSers have not figured it out yet, I think your (brilliant) threads and (insightful) replies are pure (gold) !!!

That sentence really doesn't make sense in the context of a Thank You letter, especially the "If you haven't figured it out yet" part. In other words, it was written as an insult letter, then had all the "bad" words substituted with "good" words.

So file this under "Semantic Trick" rather than "Perception Test"

It was funny though, for what its worth.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
This sure did get me in mixed thoughts. It was funny as I read the revealed BLEEPs.

Thanks for the laugh.

Oh, also proves that you'll never what one's true intentions are unless you understand what it really means.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
The content is relevant...
and thought provoking...
The content is in English...
The words and concepts are neither offensive or profane...

You posted material that is knowingly false, misleading, AND inaccurate-and purposely/intentfully so...to garner a shock response.

However, immediately following, you clarify and Translate.

The legal non legal question would be... is English, used in other than it's definition, or in this case merely as a place holder for an upcoming translation--English at all?

And is an English word, misused to it's definition, misleading?

By definition, the word 'Bleep' is a transitive verb used to "to edit out inappropriate spoken language in a broadcast by replacing offending words with bleeps"
Wiki Bleep

And yet, the words you used to replace your "bleeps", were not offensive at all. In which case, you were NOT speaking English. You were speaking a language you decided to construct, in part, by using a fabricate word that happens to have a phonetic lateral in English;

And

With the purpose to mislead the English speakers, and worse, to then clarify and rationalize that their perceptions are incorrect because they read the language exactly as it is defined to be read.

I am hugely entertained.

Poster: You are guilty of bad grammer!!
And deserving of applause. Clappity clappity clap. Although not defined, "clappity" can within reason be understood to be one's attempt at coupling the verb, 'clap' with the emote of 'clapping'. Unlike your unreasonable, but clever, use of the transitive word, "Bleep".

By using a word that does not exist, but with the purpose to clearly convey an accurate communication; I am as guilty as you are for using a word for other than it's intended/defined purpose; yours to clearly convey something misleading; mine to convey something accurate.

You said, "Bleep". "Bleep" IS profanity, as it holds the place of the/a intended profane word: by definition.
You further have ENTRAPPED all of the other members who have chosen to participate in this thread, into using it as well.

We are now all guilty together.

Unless....
You were intending to EMOTE the sound of a computer device. And that's just silly. Besides...when you clarified, you clarified you purposely misused the word to it's 'other' definition.
But we all know what you mean.

[edit on 5-1-2009 by HugmyRek]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by deepred

A well-delivered lesson. Nicely done!

BLEEP you too.

MM

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
great thread, shows that just because a situation seems like it could be bad it can also be good

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
...just taking up bandwith and you have said nothing about which threads have kept you awake or anything pertinent. I did not like it, not one bit.

Same here. Hope you had a chuckle from your self-indulgent proclaimed 'social commentary', it was a useless and boring waste of time. You knew in the posting that 'bleep' is an omission for inappropriate words while self-editing and utilized that knowledge to attempt to deceive readers...then when they realized that you weren't swearing, punchline. Write a book, maybe someone will buy it, but I wouldn't. Actually, I would have been mildly interested in the post if it were a critique on ATS rather than a moderator ego-patting. Is this thread really "Above Top Secret"? I know I haven't heard any breaking alternative news here especially in the field of "Psychology, Philosophy and Metaphysics", rather old literary re-hash from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz).

[edit on 5-1-2009 by saint4God]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigma Publius

No, you're right.. I read through the original post again and he praises the users too. I just hate the members who feel they have to kiss the mods and owners asses to try to get some special treatment.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Great thread!
IMO It speaks for itself

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'm also surprised at the number of posters attempting to copy the original poster's joke ("BLEEP u 4 making this thread, lol u make me laff" kind of thing). Well, the original poster's literary device is not original, so I suppose then s/he's just another repeating poster as well. Often there's a big difference between being funny and trying to be funny. The inciteful trying to be insightful is a clear miss.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
umm perception- my initial perception was that some dude went ape# followed by oh its just a post to make a fool out of people who are to quick to jump to conclusions, followed by i should say something, followed by this post.

now go on and bleep your bleep bleep bleep.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Looks like the Thread Starter is watching way too much X-files especially the episode 20 Season 3 : Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Funny though

Ah these teenagers...

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by themaster1
Ah these teenagers...

Could be someone desparately seeking a fresh audience. I mean, friends and family have probably heard these jokes before, but here on ATS there's bound to be someone who hasn't. Looking at the first couple pages, it seems there's been a number of us who suffer from pun underexposure. We're bound to run into it eventually, if not from Uncle Joe, then the comedic pages of Above Top Secret. Maybe we're not too far from being tabloid after all.

"I Feel Used!" (27 Garden Gnomes pass Online Course)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join