It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Belief Essential?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Is a belief in something an essential part of life?

Many people believe in many things.

For some its religion or spiritualism.
For others its a philosophy or a science.

For some its just a simple motto to live by.
For others its something personal.

It can even be said that believing nothing is in itself,a belief.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by DantesLost

DantesLost:

For me belief is essential in my life. I do believe in a higher power, God and his Son Christ. I believe there is a Spiritual world around us all the time, we just are not in tune to it.

My faith gives me a sense of peace and hope. In my meditation time I become one in the Spirit with God and he helps me stay in tune with the Spiritual world. I am finding spiritual knowledge and wisdom everytime I go to be alone with the Father.

We see the Father through nature everyday, if we choose to really look for him. He is in the breeze that dances in the tree tops, he is in the trees that seem to be singing their own song. Lay on your back on a nice summer day and look at the clouds playing as they go on there path. It is amazing that you can find God through the little things.

So for me, yes I believe in a higher power and I need God in my life.

Peace to you

Grandma

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: In replying to the Topic I would propose that from the points of view raised by Immanuel Kant's Philosophy that basic logic demands an A PRIORI belief structure (purely given by reason that if you don't have any beliefs at all then where can you even begin to start from!), such as "I think, therefor I am!" ect. Then one works off of these A PRIORI beliefs and bootstraps up ones own world in ones "head/mind/consciousness".

Quote from wiki:- "Kant believed himself to be creating a compromise between the empiricists and the rationalists. The empiricists believed that knowledge is acquired through experience alone, but the rationalists maintained that such knowledge is open to Cartesian doubt and that reason alone provides us with knowledge. Kant argues, however, that using reason without applying it to experience will only lead to illusions, while experience will be purely subjective without first being subsumed under pure reason.".
End Quote.
NOTE:- Both of which require an A PRIORI belief structure! (i.e. reason).

Personal Disclosure: I agree in the positive (i.e. YES) concerning the Topics Question, for the exact reasons outlined in my Explanation above.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Thank you both for your replies,spiritual and intellectual.

top topics

join