It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News- Suicides in National Parks on Rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Count Creeping Up

Colburn was one of at least 33 people who chose to end their lives last year in a national park. The number is higher than recent years, although the National Park Service hasn't consistently tracked suicides.

"It's some place where, toward the end of someone's life, when they're feeling a total sense of despondency, they want to return to a place of natural beauty ... for their final moments," Suddath said.

As the economy falls off of the ledge, so do a percentage of Americans that cannot further live through these tough times. Whats more is where they choose to go to die. Some say that we as humans have a connection to the Earth, and as it dies so do we, partially anyways.

Could our economy also be connected subconsciously to how we are affecting our world? Its in interesting question.

I think so.

I think the Article from MSNBC.COM ( www.msnbc.msn.com...) Is the beginning of awareness on the subject of our connection to the earth, and our connection to a deeper subconscious.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by rjmelter

Well if I remember right the most suicides ever took place during the great depression. Its possible that the economy could be the reason, but I highly doubt it, I mean in Louisiana right now our economy is doing fabulous and we are doing well. I am sure that other areas as well are having a good rebound with economics.

Attachment to the earth? Materialism or a connection?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
There was a time I was suicidal. I took a tour bus to MT St Helen's National Park to do the deed.

I didn't follow through with it obviously, but the park just seems a nice place.

new topics

join