It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't other countries take in Palestinians?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The question has to be asked why the Palestinians are so special that they have to be left in refugee camps instead of being taken in by other countries? Why is it that the Iraqis qualify to be resettled among the world but the Palestinians do not?

“It’s hard to understand why Syria has provided refuge to nearly a million Iraqi refugees but is shutting the door on hundreds of Palestinians also fleeing Iraq,” said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch. “The Syrian government’s mistreatment of these Palestinian refugees contrasts sharply with its declarations of solidarity with the Palestinian people.”

Under customary international law, Syria has a legal obligation not to return refugees to persecution or serious harm, and to allow asylum seekers fleeing widespread human rights abuses and generalized violence to enter the country, at least temporarily, to be screened for refugee status. Human Rights Watch urged Syria to abide by its legal duty to admit immediately the stranded Palestinians at its border.

bbsnews.net...

Sweden Home to More Iraqi Refugees Than Other European Countries

www.voanews.com...

Palestinian Refugees, unlike other refugees in the world, were denied resettlement opportunties, so that they could be used as political pawns. Over the last thirty-odd years, numerous projects have been proposed, international funds provided, studies undertaken, all indicating the benefits that could be derived by the Arab refugees from their absorption into the brethren cultures of the Arab host countries.

www.eretzyisroel.org...

Another source
www.reliefweb.int...

It amazes me that the world is ready and able to call criticism upon Israel for the way they treat the Palestinians, but yet refuse to criticize themselves for not taking in these refugees. The least they could do is take them in for a temporary period till they find a resolution in the Israel Palestinian fight. Why should refugees continue to suffer in border camps under extreme conditions? Do you think Egypt, Syria, or Jordan will resettle them within their society if the Palestinians break through the border or will they continue their tradition of making a camp for them along the border? Humanitarianism shouldn't just focus on Israel, it should be practice by other countries as well. Look around your country and you will see refugees from all over the world who have been resettled, but very few will be Palestinians. :shk:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

No one else will take them because they are TERRORISTS. They were kicked out of Egypt and wet to Jordan. Kicked out of Jordan and went to Israel, and that is where the world decided they would stay.

Egypt keeps its border with Gaza closed all the time, the Arab League never helps them except with words. Do you recall the time Arafat was in the building and Israel was tearing it apart with bulldozers. Well that happened during an Arab League meeting and Arafat wanted to talk to them by satellite from that building to garner support for himself and the PLO. The Saudis and Egyptians said no and refused to let him speak. They love to use palestinians to argue against Israel but they don't give a purple hoola hoop about them in real life...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Yeha who would want people wo belive you accept their religion or you are to be killed publicly who would want anyone with that veiw.

As long as their religious leaders tell their people to kill those who dont follow their islamic laws in the streets and in their beds who would want them?

link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

They have terrorist among them. I am sure that there are many a good Palestinian people among them who just want to live a good life. Unfortunately, they are seldom given that opportunity.

link   
Religion is the devil.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
for the same selfish reasons we put all the jews we rescued from the nazi into 'holding camps' (with much the same mortality rates as the death camps) then shipped them off to isreal.

i should say that by we i mean europe, america was more open back in those days and accepted loads of immigrants from all sides (esp nazis who got paid rather well for working on secret projects

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

We have many of Muslims living in the US and I don't hear their religious leaders calling them to kill here. Hell, Hakeem Olajuwon is a Muslim and I respect the hell out of him. Go Rockets. Houston Rockets that is.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
reply to post by jam321

No one else will take them because they are TERRORISTS. They were kicked out of Egypt and wet to Jordan. Kicked out of Jordan and went to Israel, and that is where the world decided they would stay.

Are you for real? That is the SECOND time in an hour i've heard a ridiculous statement from you....

Yes Palestine may harbour terrorists, but so might America. Does that mean ALL Americans are terrorists????

Of course not...

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Kuwait had quite a number of them till they found that they supported Iraq when Iraq invaded Kuwait and after GW1 many were kicked out for crimes against Kuwait.

www.nationmaster.com...

Many Arab countries just don't trust the Palestinians after that.

They may send them aid but they will not take them in.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yeah this issue never ceases to amaze me. People want to skewer the Israelis for their treatment of the Palestineans, when a dozen of their neighbors wouldn't look at a Palestinean unless he was trying to burn down their house. The closed border situation is what really kills me, Israel won't let them in for fear of attacks but Egypt closed their border too. Yet you will never hear one negative remark about Egypt over it. Oh and need I forget Egypt blocked efforts to aid the area as well, and Hamas isn't even trying to kill egyptians. Oh the double standards!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jdl79

You make valid points in your post.

That is why I also say it is a double standard. They criticize Israel but are not willing to take in the refugees themselves. Other countries also contribute to the humanitarian disaster the Palestinians are facing.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I am glad someone had the courage to ask this question that has been on my mind for the last few days. Why Don't Syria, Jordan, Egypt, even Iran take in Palestinian refugees?

If the Palestinian people want peace or a majority of their people want peace why don't they petition their leaders and demonstrate against those war mongers. With all the aid given to Palestine over the last few decades I don't think there has been any new schools built or businesses start up because there are a certainly some at the very top of the food chain know that by keeping the people controlled (by either fear or religion) they will forever stay at the top.

Another question: Why do we expect Israel to be a "GOOD" NATION? to adhere to any if not all of the international convention. China don't adhere to all human rights laws and conventions yet it is still okay for them. How about Iran, North Korea. We certainly don't expect them be good yet we seem to given them aid(in the case of China and their recent earthquakes-even though China has become one of the leading economy of the world and a future superpower yet many who was affected by the earthquake are still living in tents and barely have food to survive the coming winter) and money when they rattle their "sabres" So why don't all the other nation make a huge cry over that? My question becomes why do we put unrealistic expectation on some countries and not others - to be a "GOOD" citizen. If people can change why not countries?

top topics

join