It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands throw shoes at Downing Street in protest against Israeli action in Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Thousands throw shoes at Downing Street in protest against Israeli action in Gaza

www.telegraph.co.uk

Up to 12,000 demonstrators took to the streets of London in protest against the attacks on Gaza, throwing shoes through the gates of Downing Street and setting fire to the Israeli flag.

The main rally in Trafalgar Square passed off peacefully but later police wearing body armour and armed with gas canisters were involved in a standoff with 5,000 angry protesters who gathered outside the Israeli embassy in Kensington, throwing missiles at the building.

There were outbursts of violence outside the Israeli Embassy and in nearby Hyde Park when protesters clashed with riot police and glass bottles were thrown at officers.

Car windows were smashed and the quiet streets of Kensington were disturbed as pockets of sporadic violence broke out.

Organisers of the demonstration said they will make an official complaint to Scotland Yard after claiming that riot police charged protestors, injuring many of them.

Respect MP George Galloway was among the protesters who claimed they were surrounded by police in an underpass in Hyde Park as they made their way towards the embassy. He said he and his daughter were thrown to the floor as police attempted to move the protesters.

Mr Galloway said: "It was very frightening. The police trapped us in the tunnel and attacked us repeatedly."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Interesting, isn't it?

People have taken on the shoe throwing as a manner of showing their unhappiness!

What interests me though is the suggestion that Police were charging the protesters.

People have a right to protest.

Some of the scenes on the TV do look a little tense though.

A muslim gesture being used by UK citizens.

Bring it on!!!!!

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I think they should have thrown a few of Richard Reid's shoes.

Why?

On the one hand, I think it's silly that people were protesting Israel with demonstrations in London.

But the problem here is a bit deeper than that. First of all, the Middle East conflict is part of a greater plan. Without the conflict, there is no "Islamic Terrorism," and without that, there's no "War on Terror." The powers that be need that war to continue if they want their plans to succeed.

The U.K., like all Western nations, is guilty of pandering to the international bankers and the military industries that are behind the push to establish a one world government. Despite whatever "harsh words" they toss Israel's way, they're on board 100% with the country's actions.

The original protest, according to the article was planned as simply leaving the shoes in a peaceful manner. They didn't become unruly and start throwing shoes until they were prevented from protesting. I say, good for them.

I doubt they understood the secret obedience their government shares with the same people Israel's government answers to, but nonetheless, congratulations to those protesters for making their voice heard.

I also think that perhaps it's time for a few thousand old shoes to make their way into America's skies as well. Old, worn, stinky tennis shoes with a few years of sweat and dead skin worked into the leather...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Glad to see the British people doing what is right for a change.

No suprise that the Police are using heavy handed tactics though.... Many are above the law when it comes to these situations.

I remember a riot in Manchester city centre where the Police removed their identity numbers and attacked people indiscriminately.

The riot would not have even happened if the police would have been calm, but i guess they are only human too..... well most of them....... some of them maybe?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by machinegun_go_go

The article very clearly states that the protesters were throwing shoes, breaking automobile windows, and throwing "missiles" at the Israeli Embassy.

People have a right to demonstrate peacefully. They do not have the right to damage property, throw things, and riot.

The British Police were right to restrain them. They should have arrested the organizer.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer

The article very clearly states that the protesters were throwing shoes, breaking automobile windows, and throwing "missiles" at the Israeli Embassy.

People have a right to demonstrate peacefully. They do not have the right to damage property, throw things, and riot.

The British Police were right to restrain them. They should have arrested the organizer.

That's one spin on things... but i really doubt you know for sure.

I'm not justifying the actions, but maybe.... just maybe the resulting damage was frustration from the protestors at having been pushed around and beaten by the police?

Again, i saw the very same thing happen in Manchester... Before the Police started hitting people, the masses were very pacified.

As soon as the Police got nasty, all hell broke loose.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
They didn't become violent until the peaceful protest was blocked by the police. When your rights are infringed upon, experience and time have shown that the courts will not give them back in a later judgment, and the politicians who wish to make things better are forced to fail by a corrupt system, that is when the time to forcibly confront your oppressors has arrived.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
On a side note and clearly related, I hope there is somebody or some organization that is picking up all of these shoes that are being thrown during these protests. These shoes could easily be donated to poor countries all around the world where shoes are really needed. Please keep throwing your shoes at protests, with caution of course. Many poor people are in urgent need of those shoes. This may sound like a joke but I am being serious.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think it's interesting to note that free people living in a democratic society can riot and protest in support of a terrorist organization living in a small hellhole half way around the world....a place most of them have never been........when if their counterparts in that same hellhole....moderate Palestinians in support of peace.....were to do the same thing.....they would undoubtedly find themselves hanging from a street lamp, shot full of holes.

I pity the moderate Palestinians who for many reasons are caught in this crossfire and are to weak or too afraid to speak up or take action. Their people have been hijacked by crazy extremists who worship in a cult of death, and the moderates must surely fear for their lives.

What will it take for the moderates to rise up and beat back the extremists? How much will they take before they make a stand and say "no more"....?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I agree. Many people are in urgent need of clothing. These shoes could be helpful. I hope they were picked up and that some good hearted volunteers are sorting through them for donation.

Either that - or there will be a BIG shoe sale coming very soon!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer

"Missiles" means any object that can be thrown - shows, paper, clothing, money, etc.

top topics

join