It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas jail closes after recliners found in cells.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Texas jail closes after recliners found in cells.

news.yahoo.com

McGaughey said some surveillance cameras' cords had been disconnected; recliners were in cells; some bathrooms and cells could be locked from the inside; and inmates had made partitions out of paper towels to block jailers' views inside their cells. One alarming discovery was a type of rack made of nails, he said
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
So basically, you have the inmates running the asylum here. Too long have our prisoners had better living conditions that some of our citizens. With the free tv, access to computers, free education and now recliners and locking doors from the inside? Something was deffinately going on here. The big question will be why was this allowed t go on for however long it was going on?

news.yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Jails are too soft. We spend too much money and too much time trying to rehabilitate criminals. In my humble opinion criminals should sit in a 12/12 cell for their entire term. Everything they need will be in the cell with them. Bed Bathroom sink. That's it. Food will be taken in 2 times a day and the trash taken out every night. That's it. No TVs no phones no chairs no nothing. Your in Jail not a hotel. Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916

So basically, you have the inmates running the asylum here. Too long have our prisoners had better living conditions that some of our citizens. With the free tv, access to computers, free education and now recliners and locking doors from the inside? Something was deffinately going on here. The big question will be why was this allowed t go on for however long it was going on?

news.yahoo.com

Actually you have that backwards. This was orchestrated by the jailers...NOT the inmates. Texas jails are full of control and abuse by TPTB.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3

Actually you have that backwards. This was orchestrated by the jailers...NOT the inmates. Texas jails are full of control and abuse by TPTB.

You are absolutley right, The juvenile system in general out here has been in hot water as well. There is ALOT of corruption in the texas jail system. ALOT.

Being from Dallas im surprised I havent heard about this particular incident just yet. Although im sure it will be all over the local news soon enough. Its apaulling really. Tons of corruption, inmates buying special privelages from the guards, and not to mention plenty of guards who belong behind bars them selves....

dont get me wrong, we have our fair shave of great, honest cops here, but the jail system here (IMO) is broken and is in need of major repair.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

"The juvenile system in general out here has been in hot water as well. "

That is because of the Rape Rooms.

The guards have been renting out the orifices of child-prisoners to their friends...

Google it. You disgust me America.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
i always wondered that,,, you see in mafia movies,,, how they live so well,,, had recliners,,, good food,,, could smoke,, real matresses etc etc

i figured that was movie hype and bs

yet many claim it's true

but i figured ,,, yeah right,,,,, even though bribes work,,,,,because of chain of command and such,,, the co's would get written up or caught etc etc so must be wives tales

well,,,, maybe it is true

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Yes I have heard before of some juveniles being raped by guards, but I have to admit I havent heard of these rape rooms. I do believe you though. Got any decent links?

Imust say though I was reffering actually more to the neglect that the children put up with. But I certainly believe it.

I recall one incident where one boy broke his arm and they didnt do anything about it. They just left it. It was getting infected and was so bad that the bone couldnt heal. He didnt see a doctor for 6 months or something. The kid may have died but I cant recall. Its been a while.

Other incidents involved children who required medicine for serious illness, be it metal or physical would often never get ther medication.

Its sad. Every country has its own corrupt police and politicians. It just disgusts me. Treating humans like dirt. Not caring whether they live or die... just gross, isnt it?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by shortywarn
i always wondered that,,, you see in mafia movies,,, how they live so well,,, had recliners,,, good food,,, could smoke,, real matresses etc etc

i figured that was movie hype and bs

yet many claim it's true

but i figured ,,, yeah right,,,,, even though bribes work,,,,,because of chain of command and such,,, the co's would get written up or caught etc etc so must be wives tales

well,,,, maybe it is true

Actually in real life, AL Capone had his cell fixed up pretty nicely. Had carpeting and a really fancy chair and a record player and records etc...

On a side note. He died of siphilus while in jail. It affected him mentally. He claimed that there was someone in his cell with him and he could be seen holding conversations with non exsistant people.

The jail he stayed at ( I cant think of the name) was widely know for mistreatment of prisoners and by todays standars what they did to inmates is called torture. It was suppose to be no talking the whole time you were there. The idea being that it would give you a chance to reflect on your wrong doings. If you talked they took you to this room and tied you to this chain thing that fit in your mouth around your tongue. If you moved at all it would rip up your tongue. Often times people lost their tongue to that thing....

Not pretty. (sorry for rambling by the way)

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

"I do believe you though. Got any decent links? "

No, I use google.

I won't do your googling for you - you'll have to google it yourself.

You don't have to believe me, I probly won't even read your reply to this post.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Soft? Throwing someone in prison for getting caught with marijuana and having to live with murderers, rapists, and child molesters is hardly my opinion of soft.

Sure...let the bastards rot. But what about the innocent ones that are wrongly accused? Let them suffer to right? Just because someone is in prison does not mean they need to be treated like complete garbage as there are innocents in there..or people hardly deserving of harsh punishment.

People seem to forget this.

Also i've never understood why we throw everyone in the same pot. Someone who got caught stealing money shouldnt be housed with a bunch of rapists, etc.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Mod Edit: Guys, I've editted out a few of your replies here.

Can we please keep it:
- On Topic, and
- Civil

Thanks guys.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by alien]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   
[Mod Edit: Guys, I've editted out a few of your replies here.

Can we please keep it:
- On Topic, and
- Civil

Thanks guys.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by alien]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
Soft? Throwing someone in prison for getting caught with marijuana and having to live with murderers, rapists, and child molesters is hardly my opinion of soft.

Sure...let the bastards rot. But what about the innocent ones that are wrongly accused? Let them suffer to right? Just because someone is in prison does not mean they need to be treated like complete garbage as there are innocents in there..or people hardly deserving of harsh punishment.

People seem to forget this.

Also i've never understood why we throw everyone in the same pot. Someone who got caught stealing money shouldnt be housed with a bunch of rapists, etc.

Someone ALWAYS pulls out this argument...but, but but, there's INNOCENT people in there!

So, what do you suggest? all of the REAL criminals get cushy treatment because tehre are a few people in there that are wrongly accused? The fact is, the percentage of jailed people who are wrongly accused is low, compared to the truly guilty. Also, the number of people claiming to be innocent that are truly guilty is high. If they are truly innocent, then they need to keep fighting their case and get out, but we cannot give more than is necessary just because a few innocent's might be uncomfortable for a while.

The previous poster was right. A cell, toilet, sink, and food, that's all they need. That isn't cruelty and it isn't torture. Even the pot smokers and theifs should be treated like that, as, guess what, they committed a crime! It doesn't matter if you think the crime is comprable, if they were confined to their own cell, it wouldn't matter who their prison mates were anyway.

These men and women shouldn't be getting cable TV, fitness equipment, more recreation equipment than my local YMCA...whther it was pot, or rape, they committed a crime and should be treated like it. Maybe THEN there would be some reformation and we wouldn't have so many repeat criminals. There truly are some who have it so good on the inside, if they are paroled they go do something so they can get thrown back in! That alone tells us there is something wrong with the system.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Layla

Cripes if they have it so great why don't you go take up a room in your local prison. Many prisoners repeat crimes because they have nothing when they get out. No one wants to hire a convicted felon.

Most people are a product of their environment. If you are born poor with nothing and everyone around you is prone to violence odds are you will be the same. Yeah, there will be a few who will rise above it..but for the most part it remains that way.

Being born into a wealthy family dramatically decreases your chance for going to prison over being poor you would think?

And just because 99.9 percent of prisoners may be guilty..punishing the .1 percent is ridiculous.

If they are truly innocent, then they need to keep fighting their case and get out, but we cannot give more than is necessary just because a few innocent's might be uncomfortable for a while.

I'm sure your opinion would be different if you were the innocent one in prison waiting years and years to try to be released...all time you will never get back. Time lost from family and friends and just the enjoyment of life itself.

I just think your stance is too extreme...but of course that's your right to have that position.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Layla
Someone ALWAYS pulls out this argument...but, but but, there's INNOCENT people in there!

So, what do you suggest? all of the REAL criminals get cushy treatment because tehre are a few people in there that are wrongly accused? The fact is, the percentage of jailed people who are wrongly accused is low, compared to the truly guilty. Also, the number of people claiming to be innocent that are truly guilty is high. If they are truly innocent, then they need to keep fighting their case and get out, but we cannot give more than is necessary just because a few innocent's might be uncomfortable for a while.

The previous poster was right. A cell, toilet, sink, and food, that's all they need. That isn't cruelty and it isn't torture. Even the pot smokers and theifs should be treated like that, as, guess what, they committed a crime! It doesn't matter if you think the crime is comprable, if they were confined to their own cell, it wouldn't matter who their prison mates were anyway.

These men and women shouldn't be getting cable TV, fitness equipment, more recreation equipment than my local YMCA...whther it was pot, or rape, they committed a crime and should be treated like it. Maybe THEN there would be some reformation and we wouldn't have so many repeat criminals. There truly are some who have it so good on the inside, if they are paroled they go do something so they can get thrown back in! That alone tells us there is something wrong with the system.

I can certainly see where you come from.There may be a few innocent people, but there is no doubt way more guilty people. If they are in jail they needed to be treated as criminals. If they are in jail they have been tried and convited and everyone of them at least in a legal standpoint are guilty.

Treat them like their guilty not like they are innocent. The majority of them are guilty anyway, Why should they be treated like the one in a million who are innocent?

Makes no sense to me. Rack(bed) toilet, sink. Nothing more. Its not a vacation home. Its a punishment.

That said, I think we should provide a way for the innocent people to keep fighting.(although there may already be, I dont know) I think they should get the same treatment but we need to make sure that the truly innocent have a chance of proving themselves innocent. How that can be done, I dont know, but it needs to be done.

Treat them all like the prisoners they are, but make sur the few who truly are innocent have a way to prove their innocence or at least keep fighitng

I dont know, Its just a big mess to me. There is just alot of corruption in the system. I wish I knew how to fix it.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Funny thing is, you don't know who I am or where I come from, right? My opinion is based on exactly that. I did "come from nothing" and i did "rise above it". My husband, also, and guess what, more than a few of his family rose above it, yet the others use the strife and hard times growing up as an excuse for their lives now. We all make choices. We are not products of our environment. We are the product of our own personal choice of reaction to our environment. I had a LOT of bad things happen to me in my lifetime, I could very well have used those things as an excuse to commit crimes, but I made a choice to not become what I'd grown up in and around and to do something different.

Still though, you didn't give YOUR OPINION of what jail should actually be, you just keep shooting down the opionions of the people here that belive it should be more harsh than it is.

So tell me, if you controlled the prison system, would it be recliners and flat screens for every inmate, maybe a nice Pizza Hut delivery once a month or would you have something a little more strict in mind?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

and what wonderful country do you live in? what is the basis of your accusation?
i'd like to know,because if there is nothig bad ever happens, i'd like to move there.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Layla

So tell me, if you controlled the prison system, would it be recliners and flat screens for every inmate, maybe a nice Pizza Hut delivery once a month or would you have something a little more strict in mind?

Of course prison should not be a cakewalk. It should be punishment. Murders, rapists, etc. should be miserable. Do i think that drug users and people convicted of money related crimes be punished as harshly? No. All crimes should not get the same punishment. How that would range would always be open for debate. Drug addicts should be rehabilitated and helped..not treated like trash.

As for being ok with the innocents accused of wrongdoing being a necessary thing is wrong imo. That reasoning to me is like bombing a group of terrorists even though a couple innocents may die. That to me is not fair or humane.

I do believe people are a product of their environment. As you stated you rose above your situation. I agree that it happens and i am happy for u on that...but others may not have that opportunity.

Also understand that i am not attacking you..so please do not take things personally. These are just my opinions. I come here to see other people's views on topics such as this. It helps to change/shape my opinions often as it opens me to a whole other perspective.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Problem I find with this is, how much darn money the people are getting paid to run this stuff.
And how much money the people who recruit the people who run it, are getting paid.
To me, its just another case of unprofessional unreliable people in the wrong jobs, doing half the job, getting massive benefits.
You could even possibly go to the recruitment levels, to find why so many unprofessional idiots get into jobs of responsibility that they can never possibly do properly.
They need adequate psych testing for any job that may come with lots of stress or important decisions.
Its becoming all to common these days, people taking there jobs personally, people who have bizarre strange weird attitudes and personality's, in positions of importance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join