It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Do Our Dreams Come From?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I know that dreams are influenced by our actions during the previous day, but what my question is, where does the actual "film" come from? How are they formed by the subconscious?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
well if your not religions you can believe that dreams are "filmed" by what the brain (you) are worried/happy about.

my example is when i have a test i study and get to bed early... during my sleep i have dreams such as failing the test or passing it...

hope that this was 'little helpful...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
well if your not religions you can believe that dreams are "filmed" by what the brain (you) are worried/happy about.

Why would religious people have a problem with this?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

Why would religious people have a problem with this?

EDIT: crap... double post. Sorry everyone!

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by gravriderX]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
sum religions (or people i cant remember witch) believe that dreams are the "future" and crap...

sry dont have a link or proof...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I had another thread that didn't get much attention based on similar speculation:
it's here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

some notable portions:

Over the last two years, I have been having an emotionally annoying recurrence in my dreams that have helped to reinforce an old theory of mine: that is, dreams, or some of them, may be attempts of the human mind to reach out to the astral plane or a global consciousness of other humans sleeping or perhaps awake at the time. I say it is emotionally annoying because one of the main features of these kinds of dreams is that it is almost always with someone I don't immediately recognize, but seems familiar, or I have those that feature people I have known in the past tha are presently long gone from my day-to-day survival.

I had this dream of a former friend of mine that has been reappearing in my dreams enough for a memory-imprint to happen over and over again. This time, the events featured a drive to the location, which is a common theme with this person, ( it was a local baseball or a softball game), and a brief overview of a Nuclear Powerplant in Alaska or something and the public was having a small demonstration against this due to the increasing levels of radiation in the animal populous. There also appeared to be some kind of demonstration about George H W Bush, and it had something to do with the animals dying, but I can't remember what it was now. Some of the protestors were Inuit, as well, I believe. Unfortunately, it ended when I walked away from the two people I came to the game with, as one of them stopped to answer their phone and their companion stopped and waited as well. Not liking to follow a group, even the one I was with, I refused to wait around like a dope and walked ahead of them. The very last event was right when I was about to light a cigarette behind the guy at bat. As I lit the cig, I look behind me at a sign posted in front of the batting cage: "No Smoking (inside)" and with relief and a spark, he hits the ball pitched to him with that resounding "crack" you hear upon successful contact between the bat and the ball.

Now that I have partially established a disconnection towards the psychological ideals of dreaming, here comes the part which would normally reek of psychological hints, but I am almost sure it doesn't in this case.

Now, for skeptics, I'll include this. I am well aware of the psychological prospects of dreaming. I am well aware that most dreaming is a reflection of the subconscious mind, as are the projections made within that dream. However, I have to say that there are just some times when "a cigar is just a cigar". What I mean by this is that not always is an event taking place in the dream a direct extension of what is mentally going on inside someones head.

Anyway, nothing ever happens between myself and this person outside of the ordinary. Both of us pretty much act the same way we do in reality, and I even have the same kinds of thoughts I have when around this person in physical reality. In fact, that's how I can tell these variety of dreams from others that seem rooted within my mind alone. The details and events taking place are too insignificant and too "real"... much like it was happening in a parallel dimension or something to that extent. No, not like bizarro world.

bottom line is this:
Because of all this, could it be possible, especially because of the recurrence aspects, that we both could be dreaming of each other at the same times? Expanding on this idea, would it be possible for the person to have dreams featuring myself and perhaps other primary people (not the extras like the crowd, per se) that are also found in one of my particular dreams, with differences only in the perspective of the dreamer's proceedings? (i.e. while I imagined going to a ball game, the person may have imagined driving to a movie or something different).

[Edited on 4/7/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
If you've ever daydreamed you would know that what goes on in your mind's eye during a day dream is being controlled by you. That's what dreams are but in a deeper state of consciousness. How did I come to that conclusion? Well, people who are devoted to meditation are able to guide themselves through various levels of deeper consciousness without getting caught up in their imagination and starting a dream. And supposedly we're deprived of sleep every moment we're not asleep, lol. So if we're depriving ourselves of sleep, or those deeper levels of consciousness, then we must be wasting our time by losing ourselves in the materialistic world we call reality. Now I want you all to take a look at this article on CNN.com: www.cnn.com...
It's about a man in India who hasn't eaten in 69 years. Think about that... If what is said in that article is true it changes our understanding on everything in this universe. How can a man live without fuel? Well, I remember reading another article about him where he stated that Shiva, I think, came to him and gave him the ability to live without food. But if you take a look at other spiritual people with strange abilities or take a look at stigmatics with marks or holes in their hands, they attained their abilities or marks after being "enlightened". All of them delved deep into their subconscious with a form of guided meditation and changed something about them at their cores. But each of their experiences weren't really messages from Jesus or Shiva. Their experiences were influenced by their belief systems. If you were to do some searching you would find that hypnotists in the past and present have been able to guide people to deeper states of consciousness and tell them that they were going to place a lit cigarette on their patient's skin and when they placed a pen or a similar object, which the patient thought was a cigarette, on the their skin the patient would develop a blister. Hypnotists have gotten patients to remove warts and other ailments from their bodies as well. So what all of this really tells us is we're beings of infinite possibilities and if we want to unleash our true potential then we must eliminate all of our current thoughts and beliefs on how this universe should operate by delving deep into our core which is the state of being. You can set yourself up a belief system that tells you all of this is true by doing some research. But you can really only prove it to yourself by just experiencing reality first hand by being. Not thinking but being. Being is at the core of everything. It's only when you start tainting this "being" with your thoughts on how it should be when you really lose the full experience of just being. I've experiences this state of being first hand and it's incredible what you can do when ideas aren't in your way.

[Edited on 4-7-2004 by Jenkins]

new topics

top topics

join