It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vhs to Pc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Has anyone dealt with this before?? I have some old non digital VHS tapes that I would like to convert to digital. I would like to have setup that doesn't limit me to one computer because I use Mac, XP and Linux.

I have searched a bit and found that the Pinnacle Video transfer will do the job without even having a pc hooked up to it. In fact it will put the file on an I-pod, flash drive or other mass storage device.

I thought I'd ask some others before I purchase one, if there is anything better.

Here is a link to the critter- www.pinnaclesys.com...

Thanks for any help or advice.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Well having it transfer to a compressed file for iPod and such will not be the best way to archive those VHS tapes to a digital format.

Your best choice first is to do a direct transfer to a stand alone DVD recorder. Then once the DVD's are made, rip to the compressed file format for the iPod. That way you preserve the best quality of the VHS transfer and always have a backup on the DVD.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I thought most info on a DVD was compressed to get more info on them.

I suppose the stand alone unit allow you to use it on any PC since it would already be in DVD format but I was hoping not to use up a bunch of DVDs up front just to get my 8mm tapes and VHS tapes converted to digital.. I guess it would be smart to get them off those old tapes quickly as possible.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1
reply to post by RFBurns

I thought most info on a DVD was compressed to get more info on them.

I suppose the stand alone unit allow you to use it on any PC since it would already be in DVD format but I was hoping not to use up a bunch of DVDs up front just to get my 8mm tapes and VHS tapes converted to digital.. I guess it would be smart to get them off those old tapes quickly as possible.

Blank DVD's are cheap and its well worth storing your transfers onto the DVD format first. It is a compressed format, but far superior to any format used for iPod or flash or any other internet purpose format. Plus you will always have them preserved. If you just put them on the computer format, what if you have a HD crash or the file becomes corrupted? You would have to go through all that converting again, when all you would have to do is simply load up the appropriate DVD with the movie you need to restore and there ya go!

99 percent of PC's these days has at least a DVD rom drive. And there are many free DVD ripping programs that will convert your DVD over to an iPod friendly format.

Cheers!!!!

new topics

top topics

join