It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.8 earthquake Papua Indonesia

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

Just saw that one.. WOW... like I said earlier... " whole lota shakin going on" And I live in colorado... not that far from Yellowstone....

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by starwatcher1

Based on simple observation of the trend lines Colorado seems to be east of the major falt that seems to be forming from San Diego to Yellowstone. Although "safe" is a relative term when Yellowstone is involved....

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by heliosprime

Well I hope your right. If Yellowstone does blow I only hope the wind blows the ash East.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This one just popped up. 5.2 near the north coast of Papua, Indonesia

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Jesus Christ, what a terrible day for Indonesians. I'm really hoping they're ok. Too many strong quakes consecutively.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Wow...

Starting a few hours after the initial big 7.6, there has been the following ALL in the same area.

(my local time)
7:30am - 5.1
7:49am - 5.6
8:07am - 5.2
8:23am - 5.0
8:33am - 7.5

...This is definitely not a normal thing, right? What's going on?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Do you know if this has been a normal earthquake (I mean the first one) or a precursor for a bigger one?

Is the second one really a aftershock?

Thank you,
Regards,
Ptolomeo

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hey guys,

check out what i just found while examine that area of Papua in Google Earth:

..pretty strange ripples in the sea.
Since this is an EQ zone, could those have been caused by an earthquake that just happened at the time the satellite shot that pic? Or any ideas what else it could be?

Ko3

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Nevermind... didn't read your question correctly.

I certainly cannot see these quakes all being direct aftershocks of the initial 7.6
Weird...

[edit on 3/1/09 by Navieko]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

Thank you, Navieko.

I cannot see them as aftershocks neither and wonder if a bigger one is on the way or not.

They are taking place very close together in time...

Interesting all the activity that is taking place on different areas on Earth (Argentina, Papua, Europe, Taiwan, America, etc.)

Ptolomeo

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I would tend to lean on the thoughts that this is a pretty average one for this time of year there, The ring of fire has been pretty active and tends to get this way around this time of year, (not sure on the reasons why)

The depths of the quakes tend to be the more worrying aspect in this area rather than the size to some degree,
And being that this was almost 21 miles in depth i don't think alot of damage would have been caused.. Also i would assume the tsunami warning was issued as precaution,

You will see a good deal of small quakes there now for the next week or so, Hopefully that's the main part of it all over,

I would watch others areas though... Japan and Russia i would say may be worth keeping an eye on, Some times this can almost be a trigger for other areas,

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kid_of_3NKi

Very interesting find.... when was this taken do you know? Can't believe 2 large earthquakes close to the same spot....

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Also what a main worry that could come from such events would be the awakinging of Volcanos like Mount Merapi,

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

This is exactly the same fear I've had since the 17th of december. it is entirely possible that one of the inactive calderas can bubble to life OR a new sub aquatic volcanoe could be born.

I hope they weather these recent quakes well. they commonly get 5+ but rarely up in the 7's.

Any more news reports coming out of Papua? I ahven't gotten any news alerts since the quakes.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

I would watch others areas though... Japan and Russia i would say may be worth keeping an eye on, Some times this can almost be a trigger for other areas

I agree with you Asala.
This can trigger earthquakes elsewhere. We will have to pay attention.
In my opinion, the Earth is connected and this can have an effect on the other side of it, no matter the distance.
With regard to volcano eruptions, for instance, Mt. Merapi, that´s possible too. Let´s hope it does not happen.

Regards,
Ptolomeo

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Has anyone heard anything from these areas? I haven't seen any news reports about possible damage???

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by starwatcher1

From what i have heard so far there are no injurys and tsunami warning was lifted,

JAKARTA: A magnitude 7.6 earthquake struck off the northern coast of the island of Papua in Indonesia, the U.S. Geological Survey reported on Saturday.

A tsunami warning was issued, but lifted shortly afterwards.

There were no reports of casualties or damage.

The USGS said the quake occurred some 150 km (95 miles) northeast of the town of Manokwari in the Indonesian half of the island of Papua at a depth of 35 km (21.7 miles).

But like all things untill they go fully check we wont know 100% Give it a few hours for a more update, But so far looks like it just rocked a bit,

Link

[edit on 3-1-2009 by asala]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
This is the only information I´ve found about the quake.

news indonesia earthquake yahoo

Regards,
Ptolomeo

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Thanks, will keep my eyes on the news that will be on here shortly. I am wondering what time it is there right now? Could have been in the middle of the night???

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join