It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli tank column enters Gaza: witness

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Depends on what tactics the Israelis will use learning from the Lebanon war, and also how well the Active Protective System works against anti-tank weaponry. Lets see how well it does in this war.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
No WW3 unless anyone else gets involved. If it stays strcitly Hamas and Israel then this doesnt spiral out of control. Enter even one more entity though and it could. If Hezbo starts firing rockets then things will get crazy. If Syria or Iran decided to do more than just talk, then yes it could get out of hand. Likely that any of these things happen? No. No one likes to play with Israel when nthey know Israel is being serious and right now they are being serious.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

Its possible that Hezbollah could use this diversion to launch attacks on Israel, forcing Israel to spread its resources to defend on two fronts. Israel could ill afford to go to war on two organizations heavily armed and with massive manpower.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I just saw someone flash lights at an apartment, probably in morse code on Cnn live from the Ramattan main camera covering Gaza lasted for about 2-3 seconds

edit to add that they just killed the lights in Gaza

[edit on 3-1-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

Hezbollah provides training and financial support to Hamas.

I was going to ask what is the ideological stance between Hamas and Hezbollah, but you seem to have addressed that...dyou have any kind of link to follow up on that point, just out of interest to gain a broader perspective?

Hezbollah have been out of the media picture so far, but what is the likelihod that they will lend armed support to Hamas in terms of tactical command, soldiers, or more advanced weapons than in Hamas limited arsenal?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
The world would be a better place if the entire middle east were simply gone. Not one good thing has come from there, not one.

Ahhh yes i wonder how the West would survive if the Arabs decide to halt the oil flow.

Middle East has the prime source from which the West run their industries, economy and millitary.

Oil is the back bone of everything the West has.

If i was you i would thank the Arabs because they have oil-rich lands otherwise we would still be riding our horses.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Breaking:

Iran security chief meets Syria's Assad over Gaza - 40 minutes ago

DAMASCUS (AFP) — Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Saturday met Iran's Supreme National Security Council chief Saeed Jalili to discuss the situation in the Gaza Strip, the official SANA news agency reported.

It said Jalili, who arrived in Damascus on Friday night, and Assad held talks on "the dangerous situation the Palestinian people of Gaza are going through because of the Israeli aggression."

They discussed the "consequences on security and stability in the region of the Israel's aggression continuing" and "ways Islamic countries can force Israel to immediately stop the massacres against the Palestinian people, end the Gaza blockade and open the crossing points," SANA reported.

Jalili told Assad of "Iran's commitment to cooperation and coordination with Syria on Gaza," it added.

The Iranian security supremo also met the Islamist Hamas movement's exiled political chief Khaled Meshaal and Islamic Jihad leader Ramadan Abdullah Shallah after he arrived on Friday, a Palestinian source said. Both men are based in Damascus.

Iran is a staunch supporter of the Islamist Hamas movement, which controls Gaza, and does not recognise its archfoe Israel which has bombarded the Hamas stronghold in Gaza for the past seven days.

Emergency services inside Gaza say at least 442 Palestinians have been killed and 2,290 others wounded since the Israeli air offensive began a week ago. At least 75 of those killed were children, they said.

In US President George W. Bush's weekly Saturday radio address, the text of which was released by the White House late on Friday, he blamed Hamas for the violence.

"This recent outburst of violence was instigated by Hamas -- a Palestinian terrorist group supported by Iran and Syria that calls for Israel's destruction," Bush said.

(Agence France-Presse)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Exactly. This is the danger and it sounds like Israel is noting it. Just saw an interview on CNN with Ehud Barak and he said they were watching the northern front and hoping frop quiet but are preparing.

I think Hezbollha is the whole x-factor in this.

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by princeofpeace

Its possible that Hezbollah could use this diversion to launch attacks on Israel, forcing Israel to spread its resources to defend on two fronts. Israel could ill afford to go to war on two organizations heavily armed and with massive manpower.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by t0ken

Doubt it, we probably had been pushed to look to alternatives to propulsion of some kind. Inventors were looking at steam and electricity back then.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by t0ken

The world would be a better place if the entire middle east were simply gone. Not one good thing has come from there, not one.

Ahhh yes i wonder how the West would survive if the Arabs decide to halt the oil flow.

Middle East has the prime source from which the West run their industries, economy and millitary.

Like I said, NOTHING good has ever come from the middle east, especially the oil.

I can assure you we would have found and been using alternative energy sources by now were it not for the oil industries.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
The impression I get from the coverage and reporters is that this is going to be big, 12,000 troops in and they have called up reservists.

If the IDF slaughters these people the pressure is going to keep increasing on other Arab States to get involved, I can't see how they could turn a blind eye, Hamas or not.

Does Israel really think that this will stop the rocket attacks? They say there just doing it as a an example not for regime change. Israel cannot honestly think this will stop it do they?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by t0ken

We get most of our oil from non OPEC nations. Our largest supplier is Canada which provides more than all of the Persian Gulf states combined to the US.

Canada: 80,186 thousands of barrels (Oct)
Persian Gulf States: 71,434 thousands of barrels (Oct)

U.S. Imports by Country of Origin

tonto.eia.doe.gov...

On top of that the US produced 143,993 thousands of barrels of oil in October. We produce around twice of what we import from the Persian Gulf.

tonto.eia.doe.gov...

edit to add our US production

[edit on 3/1/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by t0ken

Like I said, NOTHING good has ever come from the middle east, especially the oil.

I can assure you we would have found and been using alternative energy sources by now were it not for the oil industries.

Except they were the cradle of civilization,literature,science among other things...learn history much?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
reply to post by theindependentjournal

Iran is not Arab. Iran is Persian.

Syria supports Hamas. Hezbollah provides training and financial support to Hamas.

Israel struggled with Hezbollah in their 34 Day War. Israel struggles with Hamas daily. Any combined effort by Syria, Iran, Hezbollah, and Hamas would ultimately defeat Israel, so long as the United States does not get involved.

It doesn't matter what Arab states do and don't support Hamas because none of them will attack Syria, Iran, Hezbollah, or Hamas in support of Israel.

Not interested in Your history lesson, if I misspoke and said Iran and other Arab states I obviously misspoke, do you feel better or superior now? I hope so for wasting my time with Semantics...

Iran has supplied the Hamas Rockets and it seems only you dispute that fact...

Yeah I see your type now and after this response I will ignore you, Israel will defeat any of them, as they have in 48, 67, and very war multiple nations tried to take Israel. So why don't Syria get into this if they think they are bad enough. AND THE US HAS NEVER SUPPORTED ISRAEL what history are you reading, Arafat's history of No Israeli State????

None of them will attack Israel for Hamas, want to bet a dollar to a doughnut??? Arab League said Hamas is at fault, Saudis said take out Hamas, Egypt shoots pals trying to cross and says Take out Hamas, Egypt and Jordon both have peace deals top not get their asses kicked again by Israel so the chance of WW3 out of this is pretty nil. If Iran becomes involved it COULD but not for sure escalate into WW3... I do not think this is likely unless a major power tries to step into it, by major I mean Nuclear...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

The US has never supported Israel? Are you kidding or did you mistype?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think the pakistanis really need to step into Middle East and provide them some support.

The country has over a 100 nukes and giving away around 20-30 warheads to Iran, Syria and lebanon would really make israel think twice before it attacks anyone.

Pakistan is a prime example for the Middle east, a country involved with millitancy, Nuclear black market and no one dare attacks it because its equipped with nukes.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
No WW3 unless anyone else gets involved. If it stays strcitly Hamas and Israel then this doesnt spiral out of control. Enter even one more entity though and it could. If Hezbo starts firing rockets then things will get crazy. If Syria or Iran decided to do more than just talk, then yes it could get out of hand. Likely that any of these things happen? No. No one likes to play with Israel when nthey know Israel is being serious and right now they are being serious.

No-one else involved - didn't you see my earlier posts regarding the protestors.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Sweet. Now all we need is for Obama to make the seven year peace treaty.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Israel is ready for any development on its northern border with Lebanon, Defence Minister Ehud Barak said on Saturday in a veiled warning to Hezbollah as the Jewish state launched a ground offensive in Gaza.

"While we are fighting in Gaza, we will keep an open eye on the sensitive situation on our northern border," he said.

"We hope the situation will remain calm, nevertheless we are ready and alert to face any unwarranted development in that area."

Two weeks after the last major Israeli offensive in the Gaza Strip in June 2006 Lebanon's Hezbollah militia carried out a deadly cross-border raid in Israel's north during which it seized two soldiers.

In response Israel launched a war on Hezbollah that lasted 34 days and killed more than 1,200 Lebanese, mostly civilians, and more than 160 Israelis, mostly soldiers.

Source

Let's not hope Hezbollah will intervene with all of this....

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
Sweet. Now all we need is for Obama to make the seven year peace treaty.

Yeh by providing F-22s and 35s so that IDF can target civillians more accurately.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join