It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli tank column enters Gaza: witness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
LIVE STREAM on CNN

Israeli tank column enters Gaza: witness

www.reuters.com

GAZA (Reuters) - A column of Israeli tanks, some firing their weapons, rolled into the northern Gaza Strip on Saturday, a Palestinian witness said, in what appeared to be the beginning of a ground offensive against Islamist Hamas.

The witness, a resident of the Gaza town of Beit Lahiya, said the column crossed the boundary fence under darkness and was accompanied by Israeli combat helicopters.
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: Confirmed by Israel:

JERUSALEM, Jan. 3 (Xinhua) -- The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) Saturday evening began its ground operation in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, an IDF spokesman told Xinhua.

The Cast Lead operation starting last Saturday is now entering its second stage, said the spokesman, adding that the purpose of operation is to destroy "terror infrastructure of Hamas".

IDF troops has now entered Gaza, he said, adding that the operation will last as long as necessary.

news.xinhuanet.com...

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Mdv2]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The witness could not immediately say how deep the Israelis had penetrated into Palestinian territory.

The Israeli military had no immediate comment.

Israeli media quoted unconfirmed witness reports suggesting there were incursions under way elsewhere in Gaza.

It has begun. Just reported on Dutch TV by a Dutch reporter at the Gaza border. They have entered Gaza. The reporter said the crossed the border at a point where Israeli settlements used to be but now no Gazans live.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Just popped up on my TV as breaking news. I hope they clean up the mess over there without killing a bunch of innocent civilians.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

Well if this is confirmed this will neither be short of enjoyable for the inhabitants of Gaza. Will the Isralies dare to enter Gaza city though which is where Hamas has mainly based it's power structure or just harass the Palastinians on the peripery of Gaza?

To enter Gaza City would be kinda insane for the Isralei leadership 6 weeks away from an election as it will lead to heavy casulties in a citizen based army.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Oh great here we go...

I hope and pray for the innocent.

I think Hamas and Israel are acting like asses.

this is so serious no flaming smiley will do!

link   
Well Ladies and Gentlemen they are in, it is on CNN right now. I guess the report from abc au was right about the practice run. I can only pray for all involved as I fear the loss of life will be great on each side. red

link   

Originally posted by Raustin
Just popped up on my TV as breaking news. I hope they clean up the mess over there without killing a bunch of innocent civilians.

Yeah too late for that one eh?

Its amazing, both side fail to learn here. For Hamas its that Israel is not going anywhere, for Israel its that this type of genocide does not work. They have just layed the seeds for the furture terrorists of the next 10 years of conflict

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Watching it live on CNN.

I'm noticing these bright flare like lights slowly falling from the sky. Is that what they are? Flares to provide light for the soldiers?

link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I think Hamas and Israel are acting like asses.

Pretty much sums it up all. Hamas doesn't give a da*m about their own civilians nor does the Israeli government care about Gazans.

link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Agreed. Someone needs to be the bigger person (or whatever). They really are acting like complete ass hats.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I wonder how much money this is going to cost the United States

second line here

link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by Mdv2

To enter Gaza City would be kinda insane for the Isralei leadership 6 weeks away from an election as it will lead to heavy casulties in a citizen based army.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Peruvianmonk]

Nah its exactly the kind of action you need to bring the hard core wackos in the Israeli govenment into the fold to form whatever coalition government they need to gain power.

You sometimes need a name tag to tell the Islamic extremist from the jewish ones :shk:

link   
Confirmed by Israel:

JERUSALEM, Jan. 3 (Xinhua) -- The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) Saturday evening began its ground operation in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, an IDF spokesman told Xinhua.

The Cast Lead operation starting last Saturday is now entering its second stage, said the spokesman, adding that the purpose of operation is to destroy "terror infrastructure of Hamas".

IDF troops has now entered Gaza, he said, adding that the operation will last as long as necessary.

news.xinhuanet.com...

link   
reply to post by ghoulardi

Yeah, flares used to help light the way to the bloodbath. Not picking a side, just am sick of this crap.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
So will they enter Gaza City? Damn the Israeli leadership if they do, Damn them all to hell...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghoulardi
Watching it live on CNN.

I'm noticing these bright flare like lights slowly falling from the sky. Is that what they are? Flares to provide light for the soldiers?

I think its decoy flares dropped from helichopters to ward against heat seeking missiles. The IDF is a modern force and should have current generation night vision thus not need the flares for that

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrainDispatcher
I wonder how much money this is going to cost the United States

Sir What does that have to do with anything? Whats more important at this moment?
Money or life?

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

You don't have to a pick a side, just look at the evidence for the breaking of the ceasefire which had been holding and the side picks itself. Israel was uninterested in keeping the ceasefire intact, they wish to force Hamas to accept a new ceasefire with better terms for Israel.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Is there a way that we could maybe all just focus on the information being presented and for once not turn one of these threads into a political debate? We have enough of those and I don't want to see this polluted with ideology. What am I saying, it will never happen.

Sorry Peruvianmonk, I wasn't actually directing this at you. Didn't see your post.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Raustin]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I just saw some night vision clips of tank fire

MSNBC
Showing weapons fire clips on small screen to the right of main reporting it will rotate through as they are reporting

Tank fire against a stone building = Death to children!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join